IGNORED

Video game retailers

sandman

the karma thing in general is perfectly spot on i think. they fucked so many people over, undersold the indies only to get them out of business to the point where they had a monopoly etc they even ordered their staff to go to sainsburys and buy out all the cheap stock of consoles once and afterwards said that they did it "to offer their customers the best choice in the run up to christmas".

game can fucking rot in hell*

*not the employees tho

I'll never forget the times when Game staff tried to sell me an Xbox when I went in to get my Gamecube, or when they flat out lied to me about a memory card having been recalled due to a fault because they didn't have any in stock. Ah, memories.

Some of the crap you get from bricks and mortat is mental. I was looking for a Dual shock 3 on Monday.

Went in Game in one shopping center, they had none. Went into Gamestation in another shopping center, £52 (nearly had a heart attack). Went into Tesco extra, had none. Went into Argos, £48. Went into HMV, £46. Went into Game, £50. Ended up buying it from Amazon for £32 quid with free next day delivery with that prime trial thing.

I like brick and mortar because I like a browse but if it costs 33-50% more onto top of things to keep them open then they wont survive.

I thought £52 was crazy, I could have bought a whole console for another £35.

It's great to have the choice. When I get my Vita I will buy physical whenever possible even though it's less convenient to launch the games.

It will be interesting to see if it dies out completely. People said the same about vinyl but it still has an enthusiastic following.

But vinyl offered you a reason to keep buying it, the analogue sound that some people find 'warmer', dj's scratching etc.

It doesn't really apply to games (or films for that matter), the only reason I can see for still buying physical media is if you've a crap internet connection or you're a collector. Personally the sooner it moves to download only, the better (as long as they're sensible about pricing, a page from Steam's book in that regards wouldn't go amiss on the consoles)

I have a dislike for the monopoly that Game created when they brought Gamestation. That was a purchase that should not have been allowed to go through as now we can see the results "death of high street game retailers" Be interesting to see what "Suckup" MCV had to say about that at the time.

But vinyl offered you a reason to keep buying it, the analogue sound that some people find 'warmer', dj's scratching etc.

It doesn't really apply to games (or films for that matter), the only reason I can see for still buying physical media is if you've a crap internet connection or you're a collector. Personally the sooner it moves to download only, the better (as long as they're sensible about pricing, a page from Steam's book in that regards wouldn't go amiss on the consoles)

Nah. Physical means I own the copy and don't have to worry about pissing around with moving consoles, or even simple things like going round to a mate's house to play it.

Downloads won't replace physical for a long time, it'll just be another way of getting the game.

There is definitely a big slice of karma being served up to the big dogs at Game.

I remember when I was interviewed by the regional manager for the assistant manager's job way back in 2000. There were two independents in the town at that point and he told me that one of my aims should be to push both of them out of business ASAP.

Understandable, as it's a business, but quite depressing, as well.

My worry with Game closing is that we'll be one step closer to games still costing £39.99 but only being available via download. There'll be no trading in secondhand copies and no swapping games with mates.

The faff involved with having mulitple iPods, computers, iTunes, and losing music is bad enough.

kar·ma play_w2("K0016800") (kärprime.gifmschwa.gif)

n.

1. Hinduism & Buddhism The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.

2. Fate; destiny.

3. Informal A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling

If bad things happen to them as a direct or indirect result o their own actions it's irony, retribution or revenge depending on the circumstance. Nothing thats happening to Game is even remotely related to their karma.

Nah. Physical means I own the copy and don't have to worry about pissing around with moving consoles, or even simple things like going round to a mate's house to play it.

Downloads won't replace physical for a long time, it'll just be another way of getting the game.

This stuff is just (current) technical hurdles. It'll be long-forgotten eventually.

Music and movie delivery is already at a point where portability and sharing is trivial (Spotify, Netflix, etc.). Games will be there eventually. Playing at a mate's house will be as simple as going there and playing it. That's easier than having to remember to pick up the disc and your memory card. Licensing will be almost invisible to user.

Delivering digital services on bits of plastic will be seen as ridiculous. Shops selling these things will disappear. I won't put a timescale on it, for fear of my bollocks, but it will happen. It's inevitable.

For me, streaming a movie doesn't currently match blu-ray for either video or audio fidelity, especially on a big screen. For physical media to disappear it requires a vast majority of the consumer-base to have super-fast broadband so as to render the cost of disc production greater than the cost of lost sales from those who live in the middle of nowhere on 2mb ADSL (of which there are still a lot). I'm sure there may come a point when most people can get 'decent' performance from Netflix etc, but what about when we get Ultra HD or whatever, and the bandwidth required increases dramatically again?

I'm sure the content owners love the idea of streaming-only delivery, but I'm not sure it's as simple as it initially seems.

If bad things happen to them as a direct or indirect result o their own actions it's irony, retribution or revenge depending on the circumstance. Nothing thats happening to Game is even remotely related to their karma.

Dictionary definitions in being-behind-common-usage shocker.

the karma thing in general is perfectly spot on i think. they fucked so many people over, undersold the indies only to get them out of business to the point where they had a monopoly etc they even ordered their staff to go to sainsburys and buy out all the cheap stock of consoles once and afterwards said that they did it "to offer their customers the best choice in the run up to christmas".

game can fucking rot in hell*

*not the employees tho

I must admit, it was the purchasing the cheap stock which did it for me. Utterly despicable and even worse is that it was sanction and acknowledged by head office.

Can you imagine any other retailer behaving that way and then boasting that they did it in order to offer their customers the best deals? No, you did it so that no one could benefit from cheap deals you wankers.

This stuff is just (current) technical hurdles. It'll be long-forgotten eventually.

Music and movie delivery is already at a point where portability and sharing is trivial (Spotify, Netflix, etc.). Games will be there eventually. Playing at a mate's house will be as simple as going there and playing it. That's easier than having to remember to pick up the disc and your memory card. Licensing will be almost invisible to user.

Delivering digital services on bits of plastic will be seen as ridiculous. Shops selling these things will disappear. I won't put a timescale on it, for fear of my bollocks, but it will happen. It's inevitable.

Yeah I don't dispute that it will happen eventually, I just dispute the timeframe. The talk from some people such as yourself is as if it'll happen next year. It won't. In fact, I don't think it'll happen in the next 10 years (physical copies of games being phased out). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years they're STILL selling physical copies. I also think it's still far easier to pick up your copy of the game and take it round to a friend's instead of going round his, hoping he has a decent internet connection, downloading it via your account and playing it. It's such a faff to do this online.

I'd also question the movie portability being trivial comment (it really isn't - DRM, file sizes, etc. conspire to still make physical copies attractive). Music, while downloads are definitely coming of age I'll admit, still sells a ton of physical copies.

In short, they're still going to compliment each other for a long time yet.

I must admit, it was the purchasing the cheap stock which did it for me. Utterly despicable and even worse is that it was sanction and acknowledged by head office.

Can you imagine any other retailer behaving that way and then boasting that they did it in order to offer their customers the best deals? No, you did it so that no one could benefit from cheap deals you wankers.

Yeah, that was an unbelievably selfish move.

it's been said so many times in this thread alone, I apologise in advance for repetition, GAME are hated because of their immense, routine cuntishness.

i just wish the senior management - past and present - would get fucked over when it goes down.

All of those things can be done better digitally. The reason I buy it is because I like owning them. I like the bigger format, the sleeve, the liner notes. I enjoy having two halves of a record. I just enjoy the format.

And you can sell physical copies on of course. But besides that I like playing the older formats on the original hardware, I love reading the manuals, and I like having physical stuff around on display.

I'm not advocating one or other I just think it will be around because people like it.

Just went into GAME in Leamington Spa, they're selling 360 games for dirt dirt cheap, got five good games for under a tenner, seems like an "EVERYTHING MUST GO" sale

assistant said PS3, Wii and DS games are going tomorrow, so keep a look out before everything good is gone

Personally, going on what's been reported, rumours, friend of a friend information I'd say weeks. You never know though.

They seemed to be putting a lot into selling gift cards at my local today, probably because they have nothing else to put in the space but also I can't help but notice that's free money in the short term.

Just went into GAME in Leamington Spa, they're selling 360 games for dirt dirt cheap, got five good games for under a tenner, seems like an "EVERYTHING MUST GO" sale

assistant said PS3, Wii and DS games are going tomorrow, so keep a look out before everything good is gone

That explains why in mine they were talking about repricing all the 360 preowned for the "Summer sale".

All of those things can be done better digitally.

Not technically true. A digital recording has a bitrate limit that an analogue recording doesn't have.

With a videogame, we're talking about ones and zeroes. These are literally identical, whether they're burned onto a piece of plastic or streamed through a network.

People will learn to live without physical packaging. It's just a mindset.

Reading that Ste Pickford piece about what is wrong with how GAME group do business and why they are failing, the exact same complaints could be levelled at GameStop, a company which controls the vast majority of the US 2nd hand games business, and has similiar pushy sales techniques. One made a profit last year, while GAME have found themselves in trouble (and no, all the initiatives GameStop have started in the last 2 years are not the reason they make a profit). If the UK wasn't embroiled in a long running price war, GAME group would be fine. If the same price erosion was happening in America, GameStop would find themselves starting to have similar problems as they both operate in very similar ways, GameStop have even higher 2nd hand game profit margins!