Video game retailers

sandman

Not technically true. A digital recording has a bitrate limit that an analogue recording doesn't have.

With a videogame, we're talking about ones and zeroes. These are literally identical, whether they're burned onto a piece of plastic or streamed through a network.

People will learn to live without physical packaging. It's just a mindset.

Im no expert but Super Audio CD or even FLAC sounds way better than vinyl. People may well learn to live without it, but I don't see it going anywhere yet.

I bet most people who bought Vitas got the majority of their games physically too. It's insurance isn't it in case you don't like it or finish within a week or so.

The only thing that interested me was Halo Anniversary for a fiver, until I noticed they'd used the box art when it was actually just the strategy guide. No fanks. I'll pop down town tomorrow morning, might get some goodies. But probably not.

The staff in the Nottingham branch just insisted to me it's 'just a sale' but the xbox 360 games are marked down really low. The staff member in question looked kind of sheepish when I referenced their current financial woes. It does appear to only be pre-owned as well (understandable).

I'll have to get there tomorrow to see what the deal with PS3 is.

I bet most people who bought Vitas got the majority of their games physically too. It's insurance isn't it in case you don't like it or finish within a week or so.

It's been quite common in the Vita thread for people to be trading the physical copies they did end up with for PSN vouchers to rebuy them digitally, not that that refutes your point. :)

Isn't the price on Skyward Sword the same as it was anyway??

Probably totally unrelated but my order for FFXIII-2 that was supposedly dispatched a week ago still hasn't arrived. I've never had a Game order take this long to arrive, more like something I would expect from The Hut group.

Im no expert but Super Audio CD or even FLAC sounds way better than vinyl.

I believe FLAC is the same quality as CD. Super Audio is something four times the bitrate. Vinyl doesn't have a bitrate, because the sound is stored analogue---ly(?), but it will have imperfections / interference that digital won't, so for most people digital will sound better. In fact, for most people, MP3 will sound better. It just depends what you're used to and what equipment you're listening to it with. My point was just that it's not a comparable example, as there is a difference between the two.

Whereas a digital game is a digital game.

People may well learn to live without it, but I don't see it going anywhere yet.

I agree, it'll take a while.

Yeah, that kinda highlights the price problem more than a fundamental resistance to digital. People aren't prepared to pay forty quid for a game. I think it's something that will be looked at, and it's something that's already changing with services like Steam and its regular sales / variable price-points. "Retail" is holding that back.

comparing the shop prices to the website

Bulletstorm - shop - £2 online - £12-15

be worth going in sooner rather than later, the shop I was in was slowly filling with students, actually I've never seen a GAME so busy outside of XMAS time :)

S -stage - How does the shop look, is it presentable, cleanetc?, M- meet - Do you look lively, vibrant, seem passionate? I- Invite - Talk to the customer, engage in conversion and ask them open-ended questions L - Link - Now you try to upsell and sell something else that the customer wasn't really looking for, and- E - End - Give the customer a cheery farewell, and mention a service we offer to get the customer to return time and again.

"Have you made your decision for Christ?"

I enjoyed watching regional managers spending 20 minutes on the till, hitting every customer with total, absolute pure verbal bullshit. They'd come off afterwards, full of smug self satisfaction as if to say "I expect that from everyone", when even they couldnt keep it up beyond the novelty 20 minute shift they put in. The customer faces were a picture too..as if to say who the fuck is this wanker, just let me go now please..or confused mums wanting to get home..wondering what this verbal assault was.

I enjoyed watching regional managers spending 20 minutes on the till, hitting every customer with total, absolute pure verbal bullshit. They'd come off afterwards, full of smug self satisfaction as if to say "I expect that from everyone", when even they couldnt keep it up beyond the novelty 20 minute shift they put in. The customer faces were a picture too..as if to say who the fuck is this wanker, just let me go now please..or confused mums wanting to get home..wondering what this verbal assault was.

Absolutely. Except my regional manager, wouldn't have a fucking clue what to do, but he tried, and oh how it was embarrassing. His patter was so out of touch, and the desperation of hard-selling was so evident. And the amazing thing is that he thought his approach was excellent customer service!

Don't get too excited. Just been in mine and all the 360 pre owned is marked down but the prices aren't exactly spectacular - 12.99 for Arkham 1 for example or 14.99 for Red Dead.

The shelves did look bare and the mood was very somber.

I recognised the bloke behind the till as being from Zavvi, then Fopp and now Game. Poor bloke.

I know the 2 for 20 in gamestation got taken off today; strange since you would imagine they're trying to push for pre-owned sales.

Thinking back to that MCV article from the other day, what planet was the guy from saying that they had loads of stock? Every GAME and GS store I've been in, the stores look bare.

Is this sale Game only? Gamestation Union Street Glasgow had nothing noticeable on and was completely dead when I popped in this afternoon (in stark contrast to both the CEX which just opened across the road and was busy, and even the indie a couple of doors along, who had already sold out of ME3).

That CEX is ok, pleasant enough to browse (the smell from the other day has gone), two large floors of stuff (including Paul Blart: Mall Cop on Blu Ray for £3!) and on the games they have a slightly better proportion of good prices to ripoffs than one finds in Game/Station. Puzzlingly massive PS2 section. I doubt I'll use it very often, as I'm pretty much online only for buying games now.

Massive Gamestation sale online now although the HUKD'ers have got a lot of the good stuff.

In fairness, in reference to Red Faction Armageddon, I think Game were selling it for a fiver before Christmas which is when I picked it up.

Is this sale Game only? Gamestation Union Street Glasgow had nothing noticeable on and was completely dead when I popped in this afternoon (in stark contrast to both the CEX which just opened across the road and was busy, and even the indie a couple of doors along, who had already sold out of ME3).

That CEX is ok, pleasant enough to browse (the smell from the other day has gone), two large floors of stuff (including Paul Blart: Mall Cop on Blu Ray for £3!) and on the games they have a slightly better proportion of good prices to ripoffs than one finds in Game/Station. Puzzlingly massive PS2 section. I doubt I'll use it very often, as I'm pretty much online only for buying games now.

They will royally fuck the Union St GS, and I believe a couple of their staff jumped ship, and into that CEX.

Man we need rick strider back! Latest post on neogaf:

You are right about RBS, but the share price was too high for me so I went with Lloyds instead. Bought at 25p, now worth 35p! Long term they are a winner especially as they are allowed to pay a dividend now and too big to fail!

Back to Game. They' seem to be getting rid of old stock and turning it into useable cash to top up the war chest. Maybe they are increasing cash flow to get more new games and avoid bad press?

Man we need rick strider back! Latest post on neogaf:

In fairness, long term Lloyds probably will be alright although still slightly risky with the break up talk. And I don;t think they'll be in a position to pay a dividend for a while. There are other shares I'd plump for before Lloyds though.

The thing he doesn't realise is that whilst it is easy to make money with low value shares, the fact that they are low value reflects that a lot of people who know probably a bit more than Rick have serious doubts about the viability of the company.

Not quite 99p, but I saw the guide to Halo Anniversary for a fiver. Almost thought it was the game because the title was too long to have guide in it.

I bought

Just Cause

Tom Clancys End War

Bulletstorm

Fallout New Vegas (it was between this and Fallout 3, I haven't played either)

Some cricket game

HAWX