Video game retailers

sandman

In fairness, long term Lloyds probably will be alright although still slightly risky with the break up talk. And I don;t think they'll be in a position to pay a dividend for a while. There are other shares I'd plump for before Lloyds though.

The thing he doesn't realise is that whilst it is easy to make money with low value shares, the fact that they are low value reflects that a lot of people who know probably a bit more than Rick have serious doubts about the viability of the company.

The majority of 'recreational' investors underperform the market, too, largely because the stock market is random and people tend to make hella poor decisions about random things.

Maybe it's just me but the games on offer don't appear to be particularly exciting...

Maybe this was Game's plan all along. Get us all used to crazy prices for pre-owned games before hitting us with more realistic prices.

I went into the Bury St Edmunds one earlier today, they had a few things mentioned above but nothing really stood out. I was hoping to get a few more but in the end I just got some real old stuff for a few quid each.

I overheard a conversation between current and ex-staff members, the ex-staff member was saying he'd gone to work at HMV and the others said 'from one dead company to another huh?' to which they all laughed a bit and the HMV guy said 'yeah but I'll have a job longer than you lot'. They all know what's up, but they're still pretty chipper considering.

It does look pretty terminal right now though, I have a fiver of reward card points to use up as well but I didn't have my card with me. I might pop back over at the weekend and pick up bulletstorm for £3, they had Blink and a couple of others I thought looked OK too.

Asked in Gamestation after work, they're doing a huge clearout of all pre owned from tomorrow. The GS in Lem is packed with games too, feel like a bit of a vulture, but at those prices....

What are they going to do with the 90% of their shelves that frees up? I mean, I know the answer isn't get new stock from their suppliers...

I don't care that GAME will most likely close (although i feel real bad for their staff if that is the case) but surely, if they reduce their prices to match other online competitors, they will most likely just end up reducing their prices further - making GAME still more expensive?

You think so? I doubt if anyone will think of that one ;)

Game were good though weren't they at some point, it only seems in the last year or two since the wii bubble burst that they've really lost their way in regards to almost ridiculous pricing.

Sad thing is this is all due to management. Forcing employees to smile and giving them a twenty minute long script? Madness! Works for real estate and selling cars where the prices are higher and so is the sales comission but for low value sale items?

Compare this with (and yeah it's an Australian exaomple) JB Hi Fi. Their staff do not try and upsell. Their staff can wear whatever they want into the store. They can have tattoos. They can have dyed hair. Most of their customers are their peers who feel like they're coming in to buy somewhere that knows their shit, not some weird store run by Stepford style robots.

For people older than their demographic they're still the best place to go. They're cheap, efficient and friendly, they have a no shit attitude BUT won't mock you for your buying choices. For a mainstream franchise they've been the only place I've been able to pick up niche titles. Shadow of the Collossus back in the PS2 days? EB maybe carried a couple of copies. JB had 20-30 plus another rack of 20-30 Ico's. They all sold. Their second hand prices are pretty decent as well.

The management of Game in the UK seemed to want the moon on a stick. They wanted sales staff that acted like they were on high commissions when they were on min' wage and the only reward for meeting targets was keeping their job. And they wanted the customers to sit through an entire script if not on the shop floor then at the till when they couldn't move. That works once for some customers. But you run the risk of them never coming back.

I'm sure they'll go great guns on their fire sale this week. Sadly I think (and I hope I'm wrong) that the fire sale proceeds will go towards paying out the owed payments to upper management (long service leave, severance etc) and the poor staff that will be run off their feet will be left with sweet fa.

I hope I'm wrong.