Video game retailers

sandman

Compare this with (and yeah it's an Australian exaomple) JB Hi Fi. Their staff do not try and upsell. Their staff can wear whatever they want into the store. They can have tatoos. They can have dyed hair. Most of their customers are their peers who feel like they're coming in to buy somewhere that knows their shit, not some weird store run by Stepford style robots.

For people older than their demographic they're still the best place to go. They're cheap, efficient and friendly, they have a no shit attitude BUT won't mock you for your buying choices. For a mainstream franchise they've been the only place I've been able to pick up niche titles. Shadow of the Collossus back in the PS2 days? EB maybe carried a couple of copies. JB had 20-30 plus another rack of 20-30 Ico's. They all sold. Their second hand prices are pretty decent as well.

Yeah, JB is definitely the best place for games (and trades) in Oz. They are cheaper and have a better back catalogue of non pre-owned games than EB, and I have never been pestered in there. It kind of reminds me of HMV in the UK in the 90s, in a good way. However, the Australian games retail sector is far less cutthroat than the UK. Supermarkets don't sell games, Kmart/Target/Big W don't do trade ins, there is no Amazon and online retail is a far less dominant force, so maybe they can afford to be not so in your face.

Compare this with (and yeah it's an Australian exaomple) JB Hi Fi. Their staff do not try and upsell.

I bought my PS3 from JB a few months ago and the dude who served me was all about the upsales. He noticed that I was buying BluRays with it and tried to sell me a remote controller; tried to sell me a PSN card; tried to sell me random games; tried to get me to upgrade from a 160GB PS3 to a 320GB as I'd "fill that up in no time", etc. It was very tedious.

I'm OK now, though.

I bought my PS3 from JB a few months ago and the dude who served me was all about the upsales. He noticed that I was buying BluRays with it and tried to sell me a remote controller; tried to sell me a PSN card; tried to sell me random games; tried to get me to upgrade from a 160GB PS3 to a 320GB as I'd "fill that up in no time", etc. It was very tedious.

I'm OK now, though.

Maybe I've been lucky then. Might help that I usually have a 2 year old in a pushchair and an expression that says give me no shit.

Maybe the chip shop in liverpool will reopen like something from mad max where only fuel and water are accepted currency.

sorry mate that won't happen because martin is selling all his stock off privately and through ebay. he tried to palm it off on the new girl in quiggins but she isn't thick so said she didnt wanna buy it. i could put you in touch with him though if you want to help him start a shop up. ( i hope you remember WHY the chip shop isnt there anymore though because the sold halo 3 and gta early and couldnt stay open after being fined from rockstar)

Went in to Gamestation last night to use up my last bit of credit buying a £5 PSN card. They asked why, so I told them - and the lad at the till said he thought it'd be OK, as they were expecting a GameStop buyout. I warned him about MCV, but he claimed this was what they'd been told from above the store level - though he asked me why I didn't think MCV was a particularly good source, and I mentioned to him about how they have a major interest in keeping the GAME Group afloat.

The staff at that particular store believed that they might go into administration, but theirs is pretty successful relative to others in the region so as long as there is some kind of buyout, they think they ought to stay open. Naturally though they were a bit depressed. Many of the shelves were bare despite the shop being quite well organised; it's obvious that the stock shortage for them has been sudden and screwed up their plans for the shelves. Even whilst I was there, they turned away at least 2 customers asking about Mass Effect 3 (maybe more; I only heard 2 whilst I was looking at the PSP games near the front desk).

Even whilst I was there, they turned away at least 2 customers asking about Mass Effect 3 (maybe more; I only heard 2 whilst I was looking at the PSP games near the front desk).

You should have said 'hello', they were probably fellow forumites!

You should have said 'hello', they were probably fellow forumites!

:lol: You never know.

Still, didn't want to bother them - it's not like they're going to be happy about the situation. I actually quite like my local Gamestation (though I'm not a big fan of my local GAME).

Went in to Gamestation last night to use up my last bit of credit buying a £5 PSN card. They asked why, so I told them - and the lad at the till said he thought it'd be OK, as they were expecting a GameStop buyout. I warned him about MCV, but he claimed this was what they'd been told from above the store level - though he asked me why I didn't think MCV was a particularly good source, and I mentioned to him about how they have a major interest in keeping the GAME Group afloat.

The staff at that particular store believed that they might go into administration,

It's worth point out again that while this would make THEM ok, it would not make people with credit ok. Unless Gamestop decided to go for goodwill, administration would wipe out credit.

You think so? I doubt if anyone will think of that one ;)

Game were good though weren't they at some point, it only seems in the last year or two since the wii bubble burst that they've really lost their way in regards to almost ridiculous pricing.

Game were never good, perhaps you're thinking of Gamestation, who used to be.

Game were once good- I remember the game of perhaps 15 years ago. Lots of big projector screens in the shop, couple of pcs set up which you could play with.

Well stocked sections, and the pc area was huge and had loads of niche titles- obscure flight sims, etc. A proper shop for enthusiasts, and so they had an audience. Noone had ever heard of preowned.

Then they got bought by EB, and seemed to slowly shift to focus on the mainstream, parents, and impecunious chavs, as well as trying to fuck over their publishers. This is what that strategy deserves.

Game were never good, perhaps you're thinking of Gamestation, who used to be.

To be honest there was a time when shopping in Game was a pleasant experience for the chart stuff without the feeling of being shafted on price, trade-ins and then having to be subjected to the sales spiel.

I hope physical copies of, well, lots of stuff stick around. It's not much fun giving downloads as presents. After years of giving each other a plethora of books for Christmas, last year my parents invested in a kindle each. So for Christmas, each wrapped up the other's kindle, with the books given as presents downloaded. It was rubbish. There's nothing like unwrapping a game on Christmas day.

Went in, managed to pick up a copy of King of Fighters XIII for £9.99, which wasn't really a bargain (given that you can get it that price online) but it seemed worth it.

Some of their other "sale" prices were a bit steep though, such as Xbox 360 Dark Souls for £27.99 instead of £32.99 - preowned.

I went in to the Croydon stores this morning. Gamestation seemed worse than before with one wall completely empty and no sign of any reductions of the pre-owned stock.

Game was a bit better with seemingly only 360 stock reduced. They had the odd bargain (is hard to argue with £2.99 for F1 2010 or £7.99 for Undead Nightmare) but there was nothing that I wanted to buy. I think that part of their problem is that with the exteneded length of this generation most people that have wanted to play, say Black Ops or Gears 2 have already done so. Their really arent that many people left who want to play these games let alone slightly more obscure stuff like Lost Odyssey.

I was in today..Bulletstorm and Bayonetta 2.98 each, I picked up Deadly Premonition for a fiver and Split Second for £8. I kept hearing people asking to order ME3 and Fifa Street..the official line was "we're not stocking that title at launch". Presumably carefully worded from head office. They have prominent trade-in leaflets on the counter offering 35 quid for ME3. I asked about Vanquish being £3 and was snorted at, told website prices are obviously different to instore, and made to feel an idiot for asking.

I was told in another Branch that the stories are untrue, the people who have been leaking have been sacked, and that Branches are no longer being sent emails due to leak worries. Price changes are having to be done by manually scanning every single game. They seem to be working the staff into the ground even more, aswell as making sure they know theyre not trusted. The CEX opposite was heaving, incidentally..and most new releases were still at £42.99. I made my retreat with Scribblenauts DS for a fiver (for my mother), and Samurai Showdown Sen for 98p.