Video game retailers

sandman

Bless you. What are you talking about?

I assumed you were making a list of what other people had spent.

Most pointless of all is the fact these people don't actually tell us which games they bought and for how much!

Especially as most stores haven't finished re-stickering everything, this information might be worthwhile!

Nothing interesting, but cheap:

360:

Dungeon Siege III - £3

End War (tin) - £2

Bulletstorm - £3

Front Mission Evolved - £3

Wii

Trauma Centre - £2

Wii Music (in nice condition) - £5

EDIT: And I saw none of Magical Drop's list except Operation Flashpoint. One notable not on either list is Medal of Honor for £3, PS3.

One notable not on either list is Medal of Honor for £3, PS3.

360 version is £4.98 - left it as there were plenty of these at the same price in the recent Blockbuster sale. Was also tempted by Virtua Tennis 2009 at £1.98 but I'll probably end up buying the Vita version for £20 or so :doh:

Price changes are having to be done by manually scanning every single game.

I think I can confirm this because I caught a manager yesterday telling a staff member to do just that to the 360 preowned.

Of course it's good practice to scan every game you have occasionally anyway in case you missed a price change (I used to make sure everything in the store was scanning once a week by doing a section a day) but maybe this is why they were doing it when I was in.

Is there money to be made trading these bargains in at HMV or CEX?

Not that I can be bothered with that sort of malarkey.

Not really. Some titles you can maybe get £1 store credit extra than the price you paid for it, but that's about it, no cash to be made. Shame really, I have a good £90 store credit with my local CEX, waiting for them to get a red 3DS in so I can swoop in and purchase it, would have been nice to take advantage of getting some easy store credit.

The majority of 'recreational' investors underperform the market, too, largely because the stock market is random and people tend to make hella poor decisions about random things.

The majority of so-called professionals, with access to loads more data, underperform the market too, and people pay them not to, fund management, cushy job if you can get it.

Indeed it was the amazingly named Electronics Boutique that were the root of the evil.

EB of America saved Future Zone, but you are correct in saying that EB are the root of the evil, they eventually merged with GameStop.

EB in Australia is part of the GameStop empire, not GAME group.

Angel do you do a daily tour of Game/Gamestation to interview the staff?

Maybe once every few weeks..I thought its best to get rid of my store credit, and I fancied seeing what bargains they had. I noticed that Aliens DS game for £7.98 too but didn't pick it up.Incidentally, one of the staff mentioned Gamestop can't take over until GAME get rid of the Australian branches, as it'd be against monopoly rules. Don't know how much truth is in that.

Maybe once every few weeks..I thought its best to get rid of my store credit, and I fancied seeing what bargains they had. I noticed that Aliens DS game for £7.98 too but didn't pick it up.Incidentally, one of the staff mentioned Gamestop can't take over until GAME get rid of the Australian branches, as it'd be against monopoly rules. Don't know how much truth is in that.

Gamestop don't want GAME's Australian operation because they already operate EB there. Takeover discussion can't begin until it's been formally declared to FTSE.

I thought the rumour was that GameStop have no interest in the Australian branches, which was holding any rumoured take-over offer. GAME group have decent presence in Iberia and UK/Ireland, which GameStop would be interested in.

But buying into the UK might be the equivalent of wading into Vietnam/Afghanistan/Iraq at this point, a war you cannot win in the long term.

It's a shame, because I don't think Gamestation would have been in the same situation as GAME are had they stayed separate companies. But the fact Gamestation was sold to GAME in the first place ought to suggest how much confidence the owners had in the long-term future of brick and mortar games retail - in retrospect, it seems like a genius move on their part to offload their operation onto GAME.

Picked up a few bargains, mostly stuff I actually wanted to play at some point:

Gears of War 3 - £12.99

Nier - £2.99

PGR 4 - £1.99

Alpha Protocol - £1.99

Vanquish - £7.99

Lost Odyssey - £1.99

I seem to remember this also happened in 2002. I remember stickering up every single item in the shop with sale stickers for a 'Spring Clean Sale'. Even new stuff was on sale, at the time i didn't think much of it except maybe it was a good way to get rid of stock that'd be on the store shelves for years, especially PC titles. I certainly wasn't in fear of the company collapsing but at the same time its rather odd they are doing this especially after offering £5 extra on tradeins just last week. Theres talk that they are selling this to make money before the end of the tax year which would make sense. But also people saying to get new stock in from EA, Nintendo etc they've agreed to stop stocking preowned in exchange for getting new games. It could be true but i find that doubtful.

The Independent though has a news story up today saying Gamestop are looking to buy GAMEs spanish and Portuguese stores (over 200 of them) too.

I picked up;

Metroid Other M £4.99

Sin and Punishment Wii £2.99

Advance Wars Dark Conflict £0.99

Someone also did come in to ask for their Mass Effect 3 preorder to be refunded, and the people behind the counter were pleasant and helpful.

It'll be a shame for all the frontline staff, but I can't say I'll miss Game.

It's more they don't want that millstone.

But I can't believe they'll take over until it's been through administration anyway because they're not fucking stupid.

Picked up :

50p

Rockstar Table Tennis

£2

Ghost Recon 1

Ghost Recon 2

Alone In The Dark

Alpha Protocol

£3

DOA4

£5

Darksiders

Deadly Premonition

Ivy the Kiwi (Wii)

Sakura Wars (Wii)

Staff were pretty down today - was odd to see "the 2nd largest Game Shop in Europe" with very empty shelves

I went in to the Croydon stores this morning. Gamestation seemed worse than before with one wall completely empty and no sign of any reductions of the pre-owned stock.

Game was a bit better with seemingly only 360 stock reduced. They had the odd bargain (is hard to argue with £2.99 for F1 2010 or £7.99 for Undead Nightmare) but there was nothing that I wanted to buy. I think that part of their problem is that with the exteneded length of this generation most people that have wanted to play, say Black Ops or Gears 2 have already done so. Their really arent that many people left who want to play these games let alone slightly more obscure stuff like Lost Odyssey.

So how much black ops cost ? on XBOX 360 Just asking as I haven't got the game yet.

I have a Game gift card which has been burning a hole in my pocket for a year now, I have popped into different Game Stores over the last 12 months in hope of treating myself. Every time I have been in a Game I was too resentful of the bloated prices and couldn't bring myself to buy a game/ console that I could pick up about 30% less elsewhere.

I felt I had to bite the bullet and finally spend (most) of it for fear of loosing the credit altogether, so I got:

DS

Advance Wars Dual Strike £1.98

Advance Wars Dark Conflict £0.99

Trauma Centre £2.99

Cooking Guide £0.98 (for GF to wind her up)

Xbox

Forza 3 £1.99

Bulletstorm Epic Ed £2.99

Enslaved £7.99

PC (all brand new so not in regular sale)

Dragon Age 2 £7.50

Dead Space 2 £7.50

Rage £9.99

So that's ten games for £45, which I suppose you could pay for a new release in store, so even if I only enjoy half of the above I think it will be (gift card) money well spent!

Other games I thought worth a mention:

DS Zelda Phantom Hourglass £9.99

Xbox Metro 33 £4.99

Syndicate PC £19.99

I still have £33 of credit left, so I'm hoping there is another round of reductions before the end.

According to HotUKDeals these are the prices for pre-owned hardware tomorrow:

PSP:

BASE MODEL: £29.99

2000: £39.99

PSP GO AND 3003: £49.99

WII:

WHITE: £39.99

BLACK: £49.99

BLUE WITH LONDON MARIO OLYMPICS: £59.99

RED LIMITED EDITION MARIO: £59.99

PS3:

40GB, 80GB AND 60GB: £99.99

120GB AND 160GB: £129.99

250GB AND 320GB: £149.99

XBOX 360:

20GB AND 60GB; £69.99

250GB SLIM: £129.99

NINTENDO DS:

ORIGINAL: £19.99

http://www.hotukdeal...0gb-ps3-1163617

Popped in the Liverpool Game & GS today.. Came out with a copy of Stranglehold (98p) Ninja Gaiden 2 (1.99) and an Old Republic Guide (4.99).

Strangely though I didn't feel the need to be condescending to staff, ask about ME3 pre-orders or test their general gaming knowledge... What's wrong with me? :unsure:

Many games I saw were brought down to barely compete with new, such as WWE 12 which is now £25 preowned in Game with no online pass... and £27 new in Grainger. Oh, and Uncharted Vita preowned is still 43 POUNDS. Picked up Darksiders for a fiver though.

When I asked about hardware discounts I had to check the date when I actually got a "Yeah, PS3 is way better than the Xbox!" spiel in return. Fucking hell.

According to HotUKDeals these are the prices for pre-owned hardware tomorrow:

They don't even look like sale prices considering they're preowned.

Yeah, the prices (on the slim PS3 which is what I'd be interested in) aren't that keen considering they've been around £160 from Sainsbury's recently. The thing is, if Game go under their 12 month self-provided warranty on second-hand hardware is worthless, which puts me off entirely.

I don't like going in there now - popped into Gamestation yesterday while killing time waiting for my train, and I just felt terrible for the staff who have all that uncertainty hanging over them.

Popped in the Liverpool Game & GS today.. Came out with a copy of Stranglehold (98p) Ninja Gaiden 2 (1.99) and an Old Republic Guide (4.99).

Strangely though I didn't feel the need to be condescending to staff, ask about ME3 pre-orders or test their general gaming knowledge... What's wrong with me? :unsure:

Don't supposed you spied any stray copies of Marvel Ultimate Alliance on 360, did you? I saw one ages ago but baulked at paying £20 for a game that was similarly priced new online.