IGNORED

Timeless games

Ketchup

Have to disagree with this, having played Max Payne 1 for the first time last year. I bought Max Payne 1 and 2 on sale on the 360 marketplace, got a fair way into the first and lost interest entirely. It looks very dated, controls somewhat jankily, and really feels like a 10 year old PC game. I wasn't impressed by it at all. These kind of cinematic, linear, scripted shooting games are the type that usually age the quickest.

The xbox port played on a 360 makes an average port even worse. Extremely choppy with long loads. Try the PC version :)

I don't think you can make most kids of today play Frogger, Paperboy, original Contra, most 4-8bit titles. At least not as a extended play session to get high scores, learning the games quirks, that sort of thing.

Those titles are still timeless, it's just a shame early stuff won't get a chance simply due to how they look. I think even users here are guilty of this on occasion as some stuff just doesn't look worth the bother at times.

Wish more games were Pac-Man CE'd up.

None of those games have aged well and you'd be mad to play them, unlike most of the other stuff in this thread. I also like how you say 'kids of today' when you're 19 or something.

Mario Kart 64 is a better multi-player game than Super Mario Kart.

:hmm:

I assume the :hmm: is in reply to my post and if you go back and read it I didn't say the SNES version had better multiplayer just that it is the more balanced game, which it is because as enjoyable as MK64 was in multiplayer the single player campaign was rather disappointing. Everything in Super Mario Kart was balanced and finely tuned whereas the other iterations of the game have seemed to favour one element (predominantly multiplayer) over all others. You could spend your whole time just playing the time trial section of SMK and get hours of enjoyment from it whereas MK64 only really comes alive with a group of friends.

I have no ill-will toward any individual. Only toward the general agreed elitist ideal.

Somehow people have agreed that the "Your first Zelda/Final-Fantasy/Whatever" game is the best X game" rule applies to Mario Kart also.

But this simply isn't true. Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario-Kart.

Bubble Bobble - still great fun 25 years on.

I still enjoy Rainbow Islands today as well - there's something about the rainbow stacking and smashing that's fun but also chaotic - crushed rainbow towers send enemies flying and trigger red and yellow star explosions which kill further enemies; there are so many chain reactions and so much positive feedback. The game's always rewarding you with dropped items, and the rising water is a great way of keeping things tense.

With regards to the general topic - the games don't change over time, but the players do. Everyone's perception of what's good and bad is unique and we can be forgiving to the earliest games because back then we made do with what we had and didn't know any better. :D

None of those games have aged well...

Contra's still alright. :(

Well I can assure you it isn't anything to do with elitism for me just the simple fact that Super Mario Kart is the only version of the game I've ever truly loved and the only one I have enjoyed as much playing on my own and in multiplayer. Of course it is entirely subjective, as is your view that MK64 is the best. As for the point about people always choosing the first version of a game they've played; does this really happen all that often?

Assuming you're talking about the arcade (i.e. the original) version, then yeah it's still great fun to play. I'm currently trying to 1CC it on MAME. Given the technical limitations, the NES version was as good of a port as you could expect, but ultimately an uglier, inferior game.

Mario Kart 64 is a better multi-player game than Super Mario Kart.

:hmm:

MarioKart 64 multiplayer was pretty shit and has aged badly. Hideous tracks and 4 player had no backround music/cheap as! Soulless game. Even Diddy kong racing was far better.

If your gona talk about Timeless multi-player racers then Excite bike 64 is the daddy and still plays great.

Another old favourite is a game I accidentally bought (well, it was part of a double pack and I bought it for the other game in the pack* ... which ironically turned out to be rubbish), a charter ship simulator game called Ports of Call on the Amiga

1055156911-00.jpg

It's a tradingsim game with boats, and apart from the trading itself there are some 'simulation' bits where you have to steer a boat through iceberg fields and park them in harbours and the like. Very simple, but very enjoyable. Spent loads of evenings as a boy with my neighbour playing this while we sneakily drunk from our parents' drink cabinets and smoked cigarettes in secret.

And now I've got it on my iPhone and it's still good :)

* A graphic adventure with text interface called 'Arazok's Tomb' which had a great cover but wasn't altogether good to play.

I still enjoy Rainbow Islands today as well - there's something about the rainbow stacking and smashing that's fun but also chaotic - crushed rainbow towers send enemies flying and trigger red and yellow star explosions which kill further enemies; there are so many chain reactions and so much positive feedback. The game's always rewarding you with dropped items, and the rising water is a great way of keeping things tense.

With regards to the general topic - the games don't change over time, but the players do. Everyone's perception of what's good and bad is unique and we can be forgiving to the earliest games because back then we made do with what we had and didn't know any better. :D

Rainbow islands is simply my favourite platformer of all time. I rate it higher than mario world or sonic. Why this isn't on xbox live i will never know :(

Super Monkey Ball 1 - Whilst it is still probably too new to be considered timeless it is hard to see why it would date. Graphically it was never amazing but it was bright, fluid and charming. The controls were simple and intuitive whilst the level design allowed for a number of different approaches. Many of the reasons I love Super Mario Kart can be repeated for SMB; namely the fact it worked so well in single player, multiplayer and party modes. The game was deceptively simple but offered surprising depth and you could lose days in the score attack modes as you tried to shave off valuable time or get that tricky last banana to up your total. Unlike SMB2 the levels never seemed reliant on luck either; if you failed it was your fault. Even the difficulty curve was, for the most part, well judged.

Still my favourite game of the last generation.

But this simply isn't true. Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario-Kart.

I've always thought Mario Kart 64 was the worst Mario Kart to be honest. It was ugly and empty-feeling and though it has some classic tracks, it also has some hopelessly bad ones (the never-ending Rainbow Road with barriers around the entire track, the desert track with the train that has the ability to just make you sit there for ages if you're unlucky. What were they thinking with those two?) I much preferred Double Dash and never understood the hate it got.

Super Monkey Ball 1 - Whilst it is still probably too new to be considered timeless it is hard to see why it would date. Graphically it was never amazing but it was bright, fluid and charming. The controls were simple and intuitive whilst the level design allowed for a number of different approaches. Many of the reasons I love Super Mario Kart can be repeated for SMB; namely the fact it worked so well in single player, multiplayer and party modes. The game was deceptively simple but offered surprising depth and you could lose days in the score attack modes as you tried to shave off valuable time or get that tricky last banana to up your total. Unlike SMB2 the levels never seemed reliant on luck either; if you failed it was your fault. Even the difficulty curve was, for the most part, well judged.

Still my favourite game of the last generation.

I know everyone will shout monkey target but monkey fight for me could only ever be better with a couple more levels. No new power ups, just arenas, it's almost perfect as it is.