Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

tt2035670.jpg

The Wedding Video

Really great British Rom Com this and it only appears to be on the US service, sadly.

Anyway, very good turn from all involved and features a raft of great comedy talent from our fair shores. I was especially impressed with Rufus Hound.

Most of all though I really liked it because I have had a major crush on Lucy Punch since The Class back in 2006 and believe that she should be in more successful stuff.

http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70307110

I really recommend Lost Soul: the doomed journey of richard stanley's island of dr moreau

A terrific documentary, really interesting if you like inside scoops on failed films and outrageous behaviour of stars like marlon brando and val kilmer

Hilarious in parts, a real eye opener and a very satisfying look into the creative process

I give it 5 pigmen out of five

Thanks for this rec. Really enjoyed that.

Just watched The Guest (it's on UK Netflix). One of those films you want to watch without knowing too much about* except that it's a superb action-thriller which feels like a lost John Carpenter classic. With Hotline Miami's soundtrack.

Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey is a revelation as the 'cool, jaw-droppingly handsome and totally not a bad guy mysterious stranger', great casting.

*Not that the plot is amazing, it's entirely trope-heavy genre stuff but it's how this is handled and executed which is a delight.

I watched a film called The Wee Man the other day. It's a true story about Glaswegian gangsters and it's not bad. It's no Goodfellas but it's 100% better than the standard UK gangster films on Netflix. It's got a few recognisable faces and it's quite underwhelming in terms of the violence - basically, gangsters just aren't nice, they're not superhuman either and most of them have no direction or purpose and live day to day. It felt very realistic.

Jesus. The Conan remake is absolutely terrible. It's rubbish on an epic scale. It looks like it was set in a quarry just outside Colchester. The storyline doesn't really follow the Arnie original and everything about it just stinks.

The Russian film Hard To Be A God is on US Netflix. Looks proper fucking bonkers, but the 5 star reviews it got this week (just out in cinemas here) from the likes of Peter Bradshaw and Robbie Collins were absolutely glowing.

The Russian film Hard To Be A God is on US Netflix. Looks proper fucking bonkers, but the 5 star reviews it got this week (just out in cinemas here) from the likes of Peter Bradshaw and Robbie Collins were absolutely glowing.

I like Robbie's taste most of the time, but he's given some proper stinkers 5 stars. Him and Edith Bowman talked about it on Wittertainment this past Friday and she said she attempted to get through it 3 times and couldn't. It sounds like some overblown twaddle to me, but I've added it to my watchlist anyway.

I like Robbie's taste most of the time, but he's given some proper stinkers 5 stars. Him and Edith Bowman talked about it on Wittertainment this past Friday and she said she attempted to get through it 3 times and couldn't. It sounds like some overblown twaddle to me, but I've added it to my watchlist anyway.

Don't listen to Edith Bowman. (Why would anyone listen to Edith Bowman?)

Not saying it's an easy watch by any means but I thought it was really impressive and if you can spare the 3 hours I think it is well worth the investment.

Watched "The Internet's Own Boy" which I think is new up - pretty good documentary about Aaron Swartz. Well worth a watch pretty damning stuff.

That new show "The Fuzz" seems like it should be awful but it has provided a few laughs so far.

Watched Afflicted last night at the GF's insistence. She's obsessed with rubbish horror films, so I thought it was going to be terrible. Actually turned out to be awesome with some genuinely amazing shots, especially considering the minuscule budget. Not a great script by any means, but has a similar satisfaction to watching a series of well executed magic tricks.