rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Is this also the thread for non-recommendations? The newest true crime documentary on the American football player Aaron Hernandez is boring, turgid shite.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, ckny said:

Is this also the thread for non-recommendations? The newest true crime documentary on the American football player Aaron Hernandez is boring, turgid shite.

That's exactly what I expected from the trailer.

6 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Oh my God, Netflix just put up What Did Jack Do, the short film (17 mins) David Lynch made in 2016 and showed on his Festival of Disruption, but which has never had a wide release up until now.

It’s absurd, strange and drenched in the trademark oppressive atmosphere that resembles Eraserhead a bit, but in its weirdness resides genuine pathos, warmth and heart. What a perfect little gift on a Monday morning. 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81226955

That was an experience, I guess. :D

Almost felt like a deliberate experiment in how much character you can read from a pair of eyes when you dub audio over them.

On 21/12/2019 at 19:15, dino_jr said:

Is there actual animal cruelty in isn’t? Can’t watch that kind of thing 

They show very short clips before the bad stuff, but there are some sounds. Just skip over those scenes and you'll be fine.

This is probably a big deal to a lot of people. I've only watched a couple and I can't really remember them, I don't really watch anime, but I'm gonna give the big ones another shot.

Studio Ghibli films will be released on Netflix UK and around the world in three batches of seven titles, on the first day of consecutive months.

1 February 2020

Castle in the Sky (1986)

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

Only Yesterday (1991)

Porco Rosso (1992)

Ocean Waves (1993)

Tales from Earthsea (2006)

1 March 2020

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Princess Mononoke (1997)

My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)

Spirited Away (2001)

The Cat Returns (2002)

Arrietty (2010)

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

1 April 2020

Pom Poko (1994)

Whisper of the Heart (1995)

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Ponyo (2008)

From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)

The Wind Rises (2013)

When Marnie Was There (2014)

EDIT

Just seen the post above :doh:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I wonder if Spirited away is suitable for a 5 yr old?  Not sure if my daughter would get on with it and I can't remember if it had any "scary" bits in.

Thank God. That'll save me hundreds of pounds. My kids love Ghibli stuff. I like most of it too.

15 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I wonder if Spirited away is suitable for a 5 yr old?  Not sure if my daughter would get on with it and I can't remember if it had any "scary" bits in.

A bit scary I reckon. Obviously depends on your kid though, my 6 year old can happily watch stuff that would scare my 8 year old. 

Do you use common sense media? If you can avoid the extreme reviews (and the far right bible-wielding nutters) you will often find common themes that will give you guidance.

I'm pretty sure my (nearly) 5 year old could watch Hellraiser and not raise an eyebrow - not sure i've ever seen him scared of a movie (Ghostbuster 1 fridge scene is an exception). Looking forward to watching a few of these with him as many will be new to me too.

I like how they're pacing them out. We should do a spin off thread and do a Ghibli film club.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Oh my God, Netflix just put up What Did Jack Do, the short film (17 mins) David Lynch made in 2016 and showed on his Festival of Disruption, but which has never had a wide release up until now.

It’s absurd, strange and drenched in the trademark oppressive atmosphere that resembles Eraserhead a bit, but in its weirdness resides genuine pathos, warmth and heart. What a perfect little gift on a Monday morning. 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81226955

This is amazing, great spot!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

My Neighbor Totoro would be perfect for a 5 year old. In fact, any age.

34 minutes ago, Purin said:

My Neighbor Totoro would be perfect for a 5 year old. In fact, any age.

yes, my daughter has loved Totoro since she was 5 or 6. Kiki’s delivery service is another favourite. 

35 minutes ago, David Heath said:

Is Grave of the Fireflies not considered part of the Ghibli oeuvre?

Definitely not one for the kiddies though. 

38 minutes ago, David Heath said:

That is odd. Maybe because it's a more "adult" film. All of the others are films you could happily show to kids of any age I think, but I wouldn't show them that. Or indeed many adults. I've known adults who have watched it and ended up truly hating the film - probably because they were expecting lovely Ghibli uplifting stuff and it instead left them devastated. Which is the whole point, but I can sort of understand.

Obligatory reminder that the best Miyazaki film The Castle of Cagliostro is already on Netflix for your viewing pleasure - with English subs, too!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, David Heath said:

Ghibli allegedly doesn’t have the publishing rights for that one. 

• Upvote 1

There's no chance I'll ever watch Grave of the fireflies a second time anyway.

Its just too upsetting.

I'd watch threads on a loop before putting myself through that again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Delighted to see Altered Carbon is getting a second season. It’s out 27/02. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Mine watched it when she was 3 or 4, and wasn’t scared at all. It’s creepy, in a Moomins type way, rather than scary.

Mary and the Witch’s Flower, by post-Ghibli studio Ponoc is also excellent and is (it was!) also on Netflix.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

Delighted to see Altered Carbon is getting a second season. It’s out 27/02. 

I never watched SE1 because I thought I'd had been axed. Might give it a look now.