rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

The phenomenal gulf in creative and cultural value between The Joker and Uncut Gems is enormous.

The Joker is a decent film relative to other superhero flicks. On the other hand, Uncut Gems is a modern masterpiece.

You watched Good Time yet?

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

The Joker is a decent film relative to other superhero flicks.

It’s not even this. It’s a dull and one dimensional facsimile.

Came across Rise of Empires - Ottoman

Really good mix of drama and documentary and covers the siege and fall of Constantinople. It treats both sides fairly which I found very welcoming.

A battle with no bad guys or good guys. Just business.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

in more of a Sex Education mood tonight!

One of the best series I've seen in recent years. I wish it was around when I was a teenager (not a 37yr old). I can't help but feel that despite some of the quirky comedic aspects I would have learnt and understood so much more at an earlier age!  It's certificate 18 but tbh....I think all teenagers should watch it. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Based on the chat in here I just stuck it on. 

Had to turn it off after 15 minutes, too intense. 

I’ll have another run at it when I’m in a better head space. I’m in more of a Sex Education mood tonight!

The Safdies would find that such a huge compliment I reckon

Anyone else watching The Stranger? Didn’t realise it was a British show. 2 episodes in and it’s very intriguing!

Everyone needs to drop everything they are doing and watch Blindspotting. It's the most surprising film I've seen in ages.

• Upvote 3

Looking for something new to watch and narrowed it down to Riverdale, sex education, or The stranger. Kinda tempted to go with the stranger. Any suggestions as to which is best ?

Sex Education. It's one of my favourite shows on Netflix. Can't speak for The Stranger, but I didn't enjoy Riverdale at all. 

• Upvote 2

Sex Education is great - much better than Riverdale. No idea about The Stranger. 

Sex Education looks annoying from the trailer. Is it annoying?

It's really not. We've just finished the second season and it's one of Netflix's best shows. 

Sex Education from that lot, it’s extremely good, top tier Netflix. 

Best series I've seen in a long time. I think Sex Education should be shown to (older) schoolchildren/six formers. 

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Sex Education looks annoying from the trailer. Is it annoying?

I couldn't last more than a single episode. I found it incredibly annoying, in the same way as Skins - another show that everyone raved about that I couldn't bear to watch.

• Downvote 1

Good shout Stanley! Tonight’s viewing sorted. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I couldn't last more than a single episode. I found it incredibly annoying, in the same way as Skins - another show that everyone raved about that I couldn't bear to watch.

Get your sex education off my lawn :P

• Upvote 1

Started The Stranger last night. Only first two episodes. Interesting enough I suppose, but not impressed with how it's done personally. I understand it's based on a novel by an American author and is set in the USA, but they've transposed it to the UK here. The unfortunate result is a general feel that's a bit like Midsomer Murders crossed with Jonathan Creek. There's something faintly naff and unbelievable about the setting and the people which is ruining my investment in it. Everywhere is picturesque and clean, everyone is very upper middle class and they all live in bleeding mansions! We'll probably stick with it but can't see us rushing through it.

The Dave Chappelle stuff on Netflix is brilliant. I definitely feel he has gotten better with age though, and prefer his newer stuff on there. Even some of the stuff that is only like 3 years old sees him banging on for long stretches about "pussy", and while I'm not easily offended in this way it feels dated and crass, even though I love the guy. His newer stuff is much more charged and interesting imho. Sticks and Stones is one of the best I've ever seen from him.

• Upvote 3

I love Harlan Coben's books and The Stranger is one of the best but I am not sure about the series yet - not really grabbed me.

Watching The Stranger too, up-to episode 4 or something, totally stupid and ridiculous but lots of fun and very moreish.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Watching The Stranger too, up-to episode 4 or something, totally stupid and ridiculous but lots of fun and very moreish.

Pretty much this. We're watching it, knowing its a bit crap but there is something quite intriguing about it all that is keeping us watching.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it keeps throwing in plenty of twists and turns, I’m interested to see how it plays out. 

The Stranger was REALLY odd. We couldn't decide if we'd enjoyed it or not (we thought probably not). 

I’m imagining a really poor and disappointing pay off, it’s just too daft. Plus, where in Britain is there a police station like that these days? It looks like Racoon City PD!

I watched The Stranger from start to finish and enjoyed it but didn’t feel it delivered on its initial intrigue.

Uncut Gems was amazing, Sandler amazing and Julia Fox was AMAZING, for all the reasons.

6 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I stuck with its weird mix of UK/USA Skins/John Hughes isms, but it won my over with its Spartacus riff at the end of S01E05

8 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Me either. Too eager to be 'cool'.

The Taylor Swift documentary is really great. I’m a huge fan and it was a real treat to see how she  puts her songs together and how her team works. There’s some bits that feel a little scripted but there’s times when she seems really sincere and honest. Loved it. 

• Upvote 1