rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Coming to Netflix 13th Feb 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

You can now turn off auto-play on the menu screen. Manage Profiles> and untick Autoplay Previews. 

Great news!  Now they just need to add an option to stop playing trailers over the end credits of a movie.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

You can now turn off auto-play on the menu screen. Manage Profiles> and untick Autoplay Previews. 

About fucking time!! 

On 30/01/2020 at 23:07, Benny said:

Everyone needs to drop everything they are doing and watch Blindspotting. It's the most surprising film I've seen in ages.

Yeah awesome little film.  Saw a trailer for this at the Curzon a while back and had been keeping an eye out.  It's bang on the nose at times but does a few things very differently.

I've only just noticed that Blue Ruin has made it onto Netflix should you want a realistic take on a revenge film.

• Upvote 2

I watched that the other day - thought it was excellent.

On 06/02/2020 at 20:38, Silent Runner said:

Thank fuck for that. So terribly annoying. 

Watched Earthquake Bird and thought it was great, early on it also reminded that it's been ages since I watched Black Rain :)

• Upvote 2

The Lemmy documentary is really great. Such a unique and talented old guy who's sadly not around any longer.

The Scotty Ian story about Lemmy's shorts is genuinely hilarious.

His flat is also amazing.

I wish I'd met him. A true legend.

• Upvote 2

Started watching Locke and Key and seems a pretty fun take on the kids in a haunted house genre. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Started watching Locke and Key and seems a pretty fun take on the kids in a haunted house genre. 

Read the comics, they are about a million times better.

I was hoping for some proper horror! Seemed competently made though, I’ll probably stick with it. 

Anyone seen The Stranger? They've certainly nailed the cliffhanger ending - watched five in a row. I just hope it all comes together satisfactorily by the end. Worth watching for Stephen Rea, who is terrific.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we finished it last night. Entertaining fluff, full of twists, turns and red herrings. We enjoyed it for what it was.

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2020 at 09:30, ckny said:

Yeah we finished it last night. Entertaining fluff, full of twists, turns and red herrings. We enjoyed it for what it was.

So I finished The Stranger last night and I was pleasantly surprised by how it tied a lot of loose ends together. Yes, it was far-fetched and a bit silly but there was dramatic stuff happening in each episode and it didn't feel artificially padded like a lot of these things.

It was a lot better than Deadwater Fell and Dublin Murders, if that's any yardstick.

A great turn by Paul Kaye too. He's come a long way since Dennis Pennis.

Just finished The Stranger as well. Very reminiscent of the other Harlen Coben show on there, Safe. With a guy who’s not a copper by trade racing around doing a lot of his own detective work, and with a job that he never seems to do much of.

Spoiler

What was the point of the alpaca sub plot? Didn’t seem to go anywhere. Just there as a red herring?

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

Just finished The Stranger as well. Very reminiscent of the other Harlen Coben show on there, Safe. With a guy who’s not a copper by trade racing around doing a lot of his own detective work, and with a job that he never seems to do much of.

Hide contents

What was the point of the alpaca sub plot? Didn’t seem to go anywhere. Just there as a red herring?

Shit writing

• Upvote 3

Ooh, just noticed Thunder Road is up, one of my favourite films of the last few years. Beautiful little thing.

Didn't realise Phantom Thread was on Netflix. Well, it is. And I've now watched it for the first time. Brilliant film.

• Upvote 8

For any Formula One fans, the second season of the Drive to Survive show starts on the 28th of this month. The first season was excellent:

• Upvote 4

On 08/02/2020 at 08:42, neoELITE said:

I wish I'd met him. A true legend

Privileged enough to have met him about twenty years ago. Bought him a JD and chatted bubbles at him while he played the fruit machine. Thing that has always stuck with me was that, even though I was clearly talking pissed bollocks at him, he was not only nice about it but he also shook my hand and said "nice to have met you, mate". 

• Upvote 2

On 17/02/2020 at 10:17, grounded_dreams said:

For any Formula One fans, the second season of the Drive to Survive show starts on the 28th of this month. The first season was excellent:

Not only for Formula one fans. I loved the first season, and don't care about cars.

In fact, I followed the last sport season mostly as a trailer for this.

On 17/02/2020 at 18:53, ScouserInExile said:

Privileged enough to have met him about twenty years ago. Bought him a JD and chatted bubbles at him while he played the fruit machine. Thing that has always stuck with me was that, even though I was clearly talking pissed bollocks at him, he was not only nice about it but he also shook my hand and said "nice to have met you, mate". 

The Lemmy doc has some nuggets in there but the thing that stands out is that he spent a large proportion of his life sitting by the bar playing that trivia quiz machine.

• Upvote 2