rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to it but I've binged season 2 of Dark over the last few days and it's utterly brilliant. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to it but I've binged season 2 of Dark over the last few days and it's utterly brilliant. 

Will I need a notepad and pen to keep track of everyone again?

I got bamboozled by ep1 of s2 when I ventured back into Dark’s web a while back.

must try again as I adored s1

3rd lots of Chef is up now. I’ve really enjoyed all of these so far.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the 1st episode of October faction, more agency fighting supernatural beings malarkey but pretty decent opening.

• Upvote 1

I am not okay with this. Probably the best thing Netflix has put out for a good while IMO. 

Same writer and the same showrunner as The end of the fucking World. I think I love it.  Done 6 episodes in a night. 

On 23/02/2020 at 12:56, lolly said:

Just watched the 1st episode of October faction, more agency fighting supernatural beings malarkey but pretty decent opening.

I fell off October Faction after a few episodes. I much preferred Locke and Key which is very similar in plot but much better, IMO.

I am not okay with this. Now finished it. 

10/10 actually. It's bloody fantastic. 

• Upvote 3

Seriously everyone, it deserves it’s own thread and I can’t wait for everyone to get on it. 

more than cancels out the Locke and Key debacle. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/02/2020 at 21:58, Triple A said:

I got bamboozled by ep1 of s2 when I ventured back into Dark’s web a while back.

must try again as I adored s1

S2 is great but aye, even more confusing than s1. It's a hard show to drop and come back to unless you have a binder of notes and are prepared to do a bit of this. 

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.thumb.jpg.0a00a0cf2b9dbb7e19e7a75827d47ec2.jpg

For my money it's by far the best Netflix Original. 

• Upvote 1

Is there a word for the production aesthetic you see in shows like End of the fcking World/Sex Education/I'm Not OK with this etc?

• You're never sure where or when the show is set
  • People have smartphones but rarely use them
  • The kids use old tech like cassettes and VHS tapes and listen to the likes of Roxette and Joe Jackson

I think I'd enjoy these shows a lot more without it, but I can't explain why it annoys me so much.

I watched all of I'm Not OK...... over the weekend (thanks Storm Jorge) and it was fun. The young girl from It was excellent and the 20 minute episodes made for easy viewing. But the whole thing felt like it only existed to set up season 2.

58 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Is there a word for the production aesthetic you see in shows like End of the fcking World/Sex Education/I'm Not OK with this etc?

• The kids use old tech like cassettes and VHS tapes and listen to the likes of Roxette and Joe Jackson

I think I'd enjoy these shows a lot more without it, but I can't explain why it annoys me so much.

TV Tropes calls it Anachronism Stew.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnachronismStew

I'm sure there's a cleverer way to put it, though.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched all of I'm Not OK...... over the weekend (thanks Storm Jorge) and it was fun. The young girl from It was excellent and the 20 minute episodes made for easy viewing. But the whole thing felt like it only existed to set up season 2.

At first I didn't like it with Sex Education, but quickly it totally made sense. 

It's a great visual shorthand for appealing to markets both here and in the US. Not only that, but you're tapping into the John Hughes tropes that 35-50yo viewers enjoy whilst reselling them to a new generation. And it acknowledges that a UK teen market is influenced by people from all over the world via Instagram and Youtube, not just traditionally UK tropes.

I hope it doesn't take over everything, but it's an aesthetic that has a place for me. 

• Upvote 6

Agreed. I think it works particularly well in Sex Education, with that lovely, hazy summer of forever aesthetic. It’s almost a dreamscape, the unreal weather blending perfectly with the uncanny world. 

• Upvote 2

Captain Fantastic is up. Highly recommended.

• Upvote 7

On 05/03/2020 at 07:34, grounded_dreams said:

New trailer for season two of Kingdom, releases 13th March:

Hadn't heard of this series at all, looks great. Is it pretty violent/scary? Mrs won't tolerate much of either so may be a watch-alone.

6 hours ago, Kzo said:

Hadn't heard of this series at all, looks great. Is it pretty violent/scary? Mrs won't tolerate much of either so may be a watch-alone.

Seem to remember it being pretty violent and scary. Rating for the first season was 18 I think.

It's also absolutely brilliant. Incredible cinematography throughout.

Anyone else having issues watching the second season of the F1 program?  It keeps buffering and throwing me out.  :(

On 11/03/2020 at 18:55, Benny said:

It's also absolutely brilliant. Incredible cinematography throughout.

I absolutely hated it. The idea was interesting, but the plot utterly falls to fucking bits the minute you stop to think about it.

The Stranger. Not sure why this had so many people talking about it at work etc. It's just like some cheap-ass ITV clag from what I've seen so far. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

The Stranger. Not sure why this had so many people talking about it at work etc. It's just like some cheap-ass ITV clag from what I've seen so far. 

I really took against it by the end.  It really started to piss me right off by the end of the first episode: "oooh, and he has an secret, and she has a secret about his secret, and her secret is also my secret but we're keeping it secret".

Spot on re. the ITV feels by the end of it.

I've started watching Kingdom which, for those that haven't heard of it, is a medieval Korean zombie drama. I'm maybe 5 episodes in and so far I really recommend it. Loads of excellent zombie acting, an involving plot about leaders not giving enough fucks about the spread of a new deadly disease, and excellent hats.

• Upvote 4

I finished the second season recently and it carries on the excellent zombie fare with some really impressive set pieces.

• Upvote 1