Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I’m just going to reiterate how brilliant the Innocence Files is. There’s so many moments of genuinely affecting film making – you’d need to see it, but there’s a bit where they overlay witness testimony over a picture of the defendant during a drive-by that is truly bone chilling. It’s really thorough and packed with interesting stories and characters. Definitely up there with the best documentary series on Netflix.

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

There’s a decent, short drama series on Netflix called Unorthodox, about a Hasidic Jewish woman who escapes the ultra conservative Williamsburg community to move to Berlin. The New York bits seem better acted than the German bits, but it’s all good really.

Watching that throws up the suggestion of a documentary called One Of Us, about three Hasidic Jews who ‘escape’ said community, also decent.

There is a brilliant novel titled Under the Banner of Heaven by that guy who climbed Everest and wrote Into the Wild about 6 mormon brothers who planned to kill their 6 mormon wives. True story. I really dont know why it never became a film or series as its an amazing story.

Time Trap is on Netflix now and you should all watch it.  It's great fun and has some super cool ideas. Properly underrated. If you like movies like Triangle, Time Crimes and Coherence you'll love it. 

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Looking at all the Ghibli films, and Grave of the Fireflies isn’t there... Some may advise against seeing it, of course, but I was aiming to do a chronological order watch-through.

Definitely the best way to watch it. Probably quite hard to follow otherwise.  

On 19/04/2020 at 22:23, Art Vandelay said:

I’m just going to reiterate how brilliant the Innocence Files is. There’s so many moments of genuinely affecting film making – you’d need to see it, but there’s a bit where they overlay witness testimony over a picture of the defendant during a drive-by that is truly bone chilling. It’s really thorough and packed with interesting stories and characters. Definitely up there with the best documentary series on Netflix.

Agreed. This is one of the best documentaries I've watched on Netfilx, it is genuinely moving. The amount of time these innocent people have spent in jail is truly disgusting. 

The dentist featured in the first 3 episodes (that's as far as I'm in upto now) is a genuine scum bag. As is Forrest Allgood.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Probably not until the global pandemic is over

Shame. The UK supposedly can handle the additional strain on services, but we get lumped in with every other country. Guess I'll be going back to eye-patch land.

Watched the first two episodes of the Last Dance. 

Really brilliant, has 100% on rotten tomatoes and Incan see why. Just wish it was all available to watch right now. 

Just now, Cool Ben said:

Really, you can't watch stuff in HD anymore? 

Get a grip. 

Bit harsh. It's up to him/her as a customer whether or not he/she wishes to continue paying for the service based on the changes made to that service.

While I have kept my sub going and will continue to do so, I can completely understand why someone else might say hang on, I'm not paying full price for that, and cancel their sub based on the changes made. It's not like they've offered to lower the price or anything.

55 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Oh sorry, it was meant to be tounge and cheek. Bit stressed currently, no offence meant. 

HD is my minimum standard. 

It's still HD, technically, but the bitrate is so badly slashed that you can *really* make out the lack of detail. Resolution don't mean shit if what's coming down the pipes ain't up to scratch.

If you're fine with how it currently is, then I'm happy you can still enjoy the service, but I'm not paying for it.

46 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

In HD (I don’t pay for 4K as only my computer monitor does it) I rarely notice the drop in quality except in some very dark scenes. It’s still better than IPlayer or dodgy openload sites.

I watched an episode of The Good Place, and it was particularly bad even in bright scenes.

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

Been catching up on Money Heist, only watched the original run and enjoyed it a lot but the Netflix produced follow up episodes are even better. Much bigger budget pays off, some epic twists. 

Subtitled or dubbed?

12 hours ago, Meh said:

It's still HD, technically, but the bitrate is so badly slashed that you can *really* make out the lack of detail. Resolution don't mean shit if what's coming down the pipes ain't up to scratch.

I'm finding this really noticeable at the moment too. Been watching Enterprise which has a fairly soft picture quality to it at the best of times and honestly I could swear it was in SD now. The info screen shows it's in 1080 but the bitrate is really low. It definitely feels like we're getting a lot less for our money at the moment and I'm not particularly happy about it.

It's put me off watching any of the Ghibli stuff on there for now. Probably not going to renew now Better Call Saul is finished. (Which still looked fab so I figure that might be because it's in 4k usually anyway so you still get a good HD version)

18 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Anyone watched that Extraction film starring Thor yet?

We just finished it. It was watchable. Some decent action, but don't expect storytelling. A proper 6/10 film. 

Yeah, I just finished Extraction. It’s decent enough, and I’ve not seen the India/Bangladesh setting for this kind of film before. Very stripped back, doesn’t overreach.

The action really is excellent though. Real Raid/John Wick inspired stuff  but more grounded.

Definitely watch it if you like guns and running street battles. I do. I much preferred Triple Frontier though.