rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

5 hours ago, Benny said:

I'd never seen Midnight Run before, little did I know it would be one of the most feel good movies ever.

Now to watch Midnight Express and Midnight Cowboy to finish the trilogy.

• Upvote 1

Crimson Peak is on there. You'd think the combination of del Toro, Victorian Gothic and Loki would make it great but it was quite pants.

Unlike his other horrors it seemed to not be set in any specific time or place, though it's meant to be England in the late 19th century. It wasn't scary, though it did look good. Charlie Hunman is in it doing that weird Irish-America-England in a sentence accent.

I paused it several times, but wasn't bored enough to start vacuuming or  gardening so can't have been that bad.

• Upvote 1

Extraction is great fun if you like a visually less distracting Man of Fire with excellent R-rated action that recalls The Raid and Wick, and some stunning camera work, including a one take car scene that reminded me of a dustier Children of Men.

• Upvote 1

I quite enjoyed Extraction too. As a Friday night action flick, it served its purpose well. Chris Stuckman's review strikes the right balance I think.

Another person here who enjoyed the mindless action nonsense of Extraction. You can tell it's directed by one of the Marvel movie stuntmen. A nice mix of Captain America: Winter Soldier and John Wick in the action scenes. The CGI is absolute bobbins though.

Another film I watched recently is Code 8. It's like a low budget X-Men where people who superpowers are discriminated against so the lead character gets involved in criminal activities to help pay his mother's medical bills. It's pretty decent and has better CGI than you expect for such a low budget film (it was funded on something like Kickstarter).

21 hours ago, Benny said:

I'd never seen Midnight Run before, little did I know it would be one of the most feel good movies ever.

20 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Great movie! :)

I rewatched it today. Still a great movie. So much swearing!! :wub:

Spoiler

Jack Walsh: I never took a payoff in my life and I'm not gonna start with someone like you.

Jonathan Mardukas: Why not?

Jack Walsh: Because you're a fucking criminal and you deserve to go where you're going and I'm gonna take you there and if I hear any more shit outta you: I'm gonna fucking bust your head and I'll put you back in that fucking hole and I'm gonna stick your head in the fucking toilet bowl and I'm gonna make it stay there.

Jonathan Mardukas: Did she hurt you, Jack?

Jack Walsh: Yeah, she did.

Jonathan Mardukas: I'm sorry.

Jack Walsh: What're you sorry about?

Jonathan Mardukas: I'm sorry you're hurt.

Jack Walsh: I'm not hurt.

Jonathan Mardukas: You just said you were hurt.

Jack Walsh: I'm not hurt.

Jonathan Mardukas: You just said you were hurt!

Jack Walsh: I didn't say I was hurt, YOU said I was hurt.

Jonathan Mardukas: I asked you if you were hurt and you said "Yeah, I'm hurt."

Jack Walsh: That's because you made me say it. Startin' to put words in my mouth.

Jonathan Mardukas: Jack, you're a grown man. You're in control of your own words.

Jack Walsh: You're goddamn right I am. Now here come two words for you: Shut the fuck up.

Yeah the script is immense. I was giggling with delight throughout. I also like how

Spoiler

Nobody dies. Well, apart from some snipers. And a few pricks in a helicopter. But fuck those guys.

13 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I rewatched it today. Still a great movie. So much swearing!! :wub:

Hide contents

Right in my top ten Midnight Run. I was lucky and grew up with this one. And I have been amazed pretty much all my life that more people haven't seen it.

It's one of those films, and I'm not lying here, it could be on every day and I would watch it and not be bored. Tremendous script and performances, always leaves you with a grin on your face. Endlessly quotable.

• Upvote 1

If you thought that bit in Avengers where Thor threatened to beat up a child was hilarious (it was), then Extraction is definitely the film for you.

• Upvote 1

So the action sequences are great, but the trouble with Extraction is the film is almost completely amoral. The first rule of creating an engaging action film is to write characters that you actually care about because they either have some charm to them or are relatable in some way.

The Raid was such an incredible thrill because despite the violence you were right with the protagonist because he was trapped and trying to escape an increasingly terrifying and desperate situation. Chris Hemsworth's character on the other hand is in a predicament of his own making, and thinks nothing of killing indiscriminately to get paid.

The endless goons that are unidentifiable because they're all wearing masks just makes the carnage seem like an impersonal shooting gallery with no personality or expectation to give a shit about how many lives are being extinguished. In The Raid, every fight is a breathless struggle for survival where you can see the terror and elation etched on every face. Even the John Wick series, which threaten to fall into glorification themselves, are set in a hyperreality where all the fighting is only done by and done to those who are part of the system that perpetuates it.

Eventually, when I'd seen Thor garrotte another poor bloke who presumably worked for the police as the only way to put food on the table for his family, I just switched off to it all and sat through the later "emotional" backstory with complete bemusement.

• Upvote 1

Holy shit. The new Ghost In The Shell SAC series is out. Had no idea it was coming this soon. The new animation style takes getting used to, but it does look great. I’ve watched the first episode and am liking it so far.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't so keen - thoughts in the anime thread.

I've seen episode 1 - Liked the story (more of the same) but the visual style is questionable. Sometimes it looks great but at other points it feels like stiff 3D models from 15 years ago are stumbling around a sparse landscape. Title sequence is also a bit of a Westworld rip off.

That said, I'm glad it's on there as I get to watch it without having to buy it.

On 25/04/2020 at 17:32, Gambit said:

Another person here who enjoyed the mindless action nonsense of Extraction. You can tell it's directed by one of the Marvel movie stuntmen. A nice mix of Captain America: Winter Soldier and John Wick in the action scenes. The CGI is absolute bobbins though.

As someone who is bored to death by all Marvel movie action sequences you've really neatly explained why I never need to watch this.  Cheers.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

As someone who is bored to death by all Marvel movie action sequences you've really neatly explained why I never need to watch this.  Cheers.

But they punch each other loads.

6 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Winter Soldier had by far the best action scenes in the MCU. The complete absence of CGI armies was a nice bonus. 

Watched Extraction. Decent action, pants storyline. Does that thing where you get an action scene at the beginning, with no context, no notion of plot, no knowledge or feelings for the character, followed by “2 days earlier”. Hollywood needs to fucking bin that way of starting a film.

3 out of 5

• Upvote 5

On 16/04/2020 at 16:44, MrEPotato said:

Love a good sports documentary and this is coming to Netflix in the uk on Monday.

For someone who was big into basketball during the mid 90s this has been fantastic so far. Having 2 episodes drop each week is giving me something to look forward to.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Watched Extraction. Decent action, pants storyline. Does that thing where you get an action scene at the beginning, with no context, no notion of plot, no knowledge or feelings for the character, followed by “2 days earlier”. Hollywood needs to fucking bin that way of starting a film.

3 out of 5

Not just films.  Most action TV shows are doing the same.  The amount of flashbacks in general in TV shows is insane.

Finished Caliphate last night- good stuff, some properly tense scenes throughout and especially the last episode.Also season 4 of Kim's convenience which was the usual easy watching stuff.

Ger Butler versus The Weather (aka Geostorm) went up this morning. Pretty much the batshit nonsense co-starring billions of pixels mashing into each other I expected.

It's more like Gérard Butler vs ageing in the last film of his I watched. Wtf has he done to his face? 

I really liked that Extraction was a clear one-and-done, and also the lack of a convoluted plot. It had just enough to drive the characters and the action, with the additional wrinkle of the bodyguard (the Indian John Travolta) having his own motivation. Simple, lean, logical. It was quite old-fashioned in that respect. It's no masterpiece but I thought it achieved what it set out to do efficiently and effectively. And that one-shot action scene - wow.

Thought Extraction was excellent myself - just a no nonsense ultra violent action flick. 

Extraction was nonsense but I really enjoyed it. And as others have said, that one shot action scene was bloody spectacular. I love it when a film shows off like that.

2 episodes of After Life and I've had enough. I enjoyed the first series but this is really shit. Derek was miles better.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I don't like action movies as a rule but Extraction kept me engaged until the end.

The duality between the two mercenaries and the two teenagers showed it had some intelligence beyond the bullets.