rllmuk
Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Two documentaries that a friend of mine recommended that didn't come up on my feed (even though right up my street)

30 feet from Stardom one the best oscar doc a while back. It's quite good.

Won't you be my neighbour is the Fred Rogers documentary from 2018 which I suppose inspired the Tom Hanks film from last year. Not seen the film, but the doc was one of the best I've seen in a long time and I found it profoundly moving.

• Upvote 1

Most recent episodes of Last Dance are sweet!

Spoiler

Those emotions in the locker room after sealing the championship on Father's Day. :(

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Two documentaries that a friend of mine recommended that didn't come up on my feed (even though right up my street)

30 feet from Stardom one the best oscar doc a while back. It's quite good.

Won't you be my neighbour is the Fred Rogers documentary from 2018 which I suppose inspired the Tom Hanks film from last year. Not seen the film, but the doc was one of the best I've seen in a long time and I found it profoundly moving.

Thanks. I will give that Fred Roger's doc a try; really enjoyed the film.

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed Time to Hunt, a very tense Korean action thriller. Sort of a cross between a heist movie and Terminator!

Image quality on Enterprise has been much better the last couple of nights than previously - I’m assuming they bumped the bitrate back up again?

Apparently not, according to reddit.

Loving The Last Dance. My favourite thing on TV at the moment, and for a while. Not a basketball fan at all. Only had a passing interest in it as a kid, mainly because of NBA Jam. It's just really well put together and you're watching greatness. Not a football fan either, but similarly enjoyed the Maradona documentary. Senna too. You really don't have to be a fan of sport to appreciate their brilliance.

• Upvote 4

On the pool episode of Gravity Falls, Stan saying “burn the child” just ended me.

EDIT: wrong thread you bellend

The Last Dance is brilliant. Like Sapa I only had a passing interest in basketball in the 90s via NBA Jam and Air Jordans, but as with any well-made documentary, it doesn’t matter the subject when it’s this well made. Episodes 7 and 8 are brilliant. I love it when an awesome song from the era kicks in to score a series of Jordan slam dunks.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Pob said:

The Last Dance is brilliant. Like Sapa I only had a passing interest in basketball in the 90s via NBA Jam and Air Jordans, but as with any well-made documentary, it doesn’t matter the subject when it’s this well made. Episodes 7 and 8 are brilliant. I love it when as awesome song from the era kicks in to score a series of Jordan slam dunks.  

The soundtrack has been awesome, there’s a playlist for the show on Spotify.

On 08/05/2020 at 18:30, DC said:

Season 2 of Rust Valley Restorers is up, if you like car programs with Canadian James Cromwell lookalikes.

Really, really thin series. Heavier emphasis on the antics and less on the projects.

James Cromwell's hippy brother still the best thing about it, just seems like a genuine good bloke.

• Upvote 1

I'm really enjoying Inhuman Resources so far. Imagine if Ken Loach directed a corporate espionage thriller where a midlife crisis having, world-weary Eric Cantona headbutts people a lot and you have this series. 

Wow, Midnight Run is superb. I can’t believe I’d not seen it before. I wasn’t expecting it to be so lovely, and I guess thats’s largely because of how endearing Charles Grodin is throughout. Love, love, loved it. I also didn’t anticipate the language to sound like someone had transcribed a dockworker trying to thread a needle whilst wearing oven mitts. 

Another key plus was the mandatory inclusion of jump cuts to a character cracking wise whilst the other person tries to outrun a helicopter that’s riddling their car with bullets that all 80s films must have, mainly to remind us that whilst there’s action bits it’s still at heart a comedy. Loved. It.

This should’ve gone in the films you’ve watched thread on reflection.

• Upvote 7

Colony,  or "alternative  Half Life 2" the series.Starts off a bit shit and dull but picks up as it goes along, some nice set pieces and tense scenes towards the end of season 1 , currently on season 2 and it's pretty good so far.

• Upvote 1

I seem to recall it having some nice “vaporising people into a red mist” bits. 

Sadly got cancelled without a conclusion. 

On 11/05/2020 at 21:46, Fierce Poodle said:

Enjoyed Time to Hunt, a very tense Korean action thriller. Sort of a cross between a heist movie and Terminator!

Thanks for the recommendation.  This was excellent.  Beautifully lit, and almost as tense as Uncut Gems.

• Upvote 2

On 16/05/2020 at 07:50, Art Vandelay said:

Wow, Midnight Run is superb. I can’t believe I’d not seen it before. I wasn’t expecting it to be so lovely, and I guess thats’s largely because of how endearing Charles Grodin is throughout. Love, love, loved it. I also didn’t anticipate the language to sound like someone had transcribed a dockworker trying to thread a needle whilst wearing oven mitts. 

Another key plus was the mandatory inclusion of jump cuts to a character cracking wise whilst the other person tries to outrun a helicopter that’s riddling their car with bullets that all 80s films must have, mainly to remind us that whilst there’s action bits it’s still at heart a comedy. Loved. It.

This should’ve gone in the films you’ve watched thread on reflection.

"I've got two words to say to you too. Shut the fuck up". Sorry, had to quote that line!

Midnight Run is a classic film, one of De Niro's best (and probably one of his most overlooked now). I remember many a great time re-watching the VHS with my student mates in the 90s, so many quotable lines. Great soundtrack by Danny Elfman, but not like a normal one as it's basically Oingo Bongo, Danny Elfman's band. The theme song is brilliant, love the horns.

• Upvote 3

Anyone watched The Eddy yet? Same director as Whiplash and Lalaland and it;s got jazz so should be good...

No one watching White Lines? Watched the first episode last night and it was very very enjoyable. Looking forward to rationing out the rest.

• Upvote 1

Magic for Humans is genuine, brilliant, fun.  My kids love it and their reactions to the tricks is priceless.

We watched first couple of eps of White Lines, its really enjoyable. Very schlocky as you’d expect from the man behind Money Heist.

For some reason I assumed that Netflix content had become broadly similar across the globe but having randomly ended up on the Argentinian Netflix it seems that is nothing like the case. They have a huge range of movies that we are missing over here. A quick skim through the front page yielded Raiders of The Lost Ark, Jaws, the first three Jurassic Park movies, loads and loads of Pixar, The Godfather trilogy, Bladerunner, Close Encounters of The Third Kind, Scarface and many, many more classics. 

Quite a surprise.

• Upvote 1

I just watched the first series of Unforgotten (which ironically has the most forgettable name ever) and it was really rather good. It's in the same vein as Broadchurch and Deadwater Fell but better than both.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Trailer for the new Spike Lee film out next month. Hopefully not the standard 'American soldiers go to a country and kill loads of people, but years later it makes them sad' film. I have faith in Spike though.

(Normal -trailer gives the whole film away- warning)

Edited by Silent Runner

20 hours ago, Mike S said:

For some reason I assumed that Netflix content had become broadly similar across the globe but having randomly ended up on the Argentinian Netflix it seems that is nothing like the case. They have a huge range of movies that we are missing over here. A quick skim through the front page yielded Raiders of The Lost Ark, Jaws, the first three Jurassic Park movies, loads and loads of Pixar, The Godfather trilogy, Bladerunner, Close Encounters of The Third Kind, Scarface and many, many more classics. 

Quite a surprise.

Ah, those were the days when you could get overseas Netflix through a VPN.

On 17/05/2020 at 10:04, gone fishin' said:

Great soundtrack by Danny Elfman, but not like a normal one as it's basically Oingo Bongo, Danny Elfman's band. The theme song is brilliant, love the horns.

Every time anyone mentions Midnight Run I end up with the theme stuck in my head for the next week. Not complaining.

• Upvote 1