Jump to content

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations


Recommended Posts

On 22/05/2020 at 16:33, BongoInferno said:

I'm two episodes into White Lines and have concluded that it's absolute shite. 

 

It's like that terrible Sky One series Riveria crossed with Coronation Street. The acting is terrible and the plot lines inexplicable. It's got Laurence Fox in it as a Mancunian hippy jesus who leads a collective mass humming of rave music from 30 years ago as a memorial to a dead DJ. It has dogs on cocaine. It has a main character who can't hold down the same accent for more than 15 seconds.

 

It treats us to a series of terrible flashbacks to the 90s. Based on my hazy memory, clubbing was nothing like how it's shown in Manchester in 1996. Facing the front while a DJ capers around with their hands in the air is something that came along with EDM. DJs were hidden away in DJ booths in the 90s and everyone was dancing and facing each other. Clubs weren't brightly lit and people weren't wearing stupid eye masks. Also E's were consistently shit by 1996 and no-one was listening to Age of Love. That was 1990.

 

I'll watch episode 3 tonight.

 

I wasn't going to give it a go I as I suspected it would be like this.


I'm still out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched all of Space Force over the weekend.

 

Some good bits, some very funny moments and I felt it worked.

 

Spoiler

Only thing I thought was clunky - WHY did the wife end up in prison?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

For me it falls under the bracket of comfy Sunday viewing, that doesn't hold up to any serious scrutiny.

Yeah I don't think it is meant to be laugh out loud funny all the time. It does try to be a bit more than that and give the characters some background etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 10:38, Aurelius said:

Anybody watches Terrace House? One of the contestants (Hana) committed suicide last night. :(

 

No fucking way do you have a link to this please WTF sad news to read. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

White Lines is up there as one of the worst programmes I've ever seen. It's an utter mess. 

The main actress is diabolical. Really grating with an accent that has more flavours than Baskin Robbins.

Daniel Mays is criminally wasted. The scene where he's staring at George getting out of the bath was unintentionally hilarious. 

No-one is likeable. I despised pretty much everyone. 

It makes Ibiza look utterly boring. 

They've thrown so much shit at the screen they must have hoped for a Chris Ofili painting. Instead, it's the type of dirge that even the commission editor of ITV wouldn't countenance. 

In a desperate attempt to look racy they've alluded to incest, had rampant orgies, etc.

For all the mystery at the heart of the story, the decent cast and a setting to die for, it's all incredibly dull. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched some more Space Force but not sure why, guess it's ok background viewing as provides some laughs but mostly it's just not that funny or interesting. The social media guy is awful. I did like the AOC "inspired" character. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don’t understand the point of Snowpiercer. I’ve seen the film (ages ago) and the first episode - but why do they have to be on a train to survive? Does it make them warmer or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I still don’t understand the point of Snowpiercer. I’ve seen the film (ages ago) and the first episode - but why do they have to be on a train to survive? Does it make them warmer or something?

 

I think it's meant to be powered by a perpetual motion engine so it's constantly heated. I guess it needs to always keep moving to accomplish that. Don't think they've explained that in the TV show, though.

 

And, yeah, not much about the premise makes sense if you think about it too much. It is intriguing for a fictional universe, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stopharage said:

White Lines is up there as one of the worst programmes I've ever seen. It's an utter mess. 

The main actress is diabolical. Really grating with an accent that has more flavours than Baskin Robbins.

Daniel Mays is criminally wasted. The scene where he's staring at George getting out of the bath was unintentionally hilarious. 

No-one is likeable. I despised pretty much everyone. 

It makes Ibiza look utterly boring. 

They've thrown so much shit at the screen they must have hoped for a Chris Ofili painting. Instead, it's the type of dirge that even the commission editor of ITV wouldn't countenance. 

In a desperate attempt to look racy they've alluded to incest, had rampant orgies, etc.

For all the mystery at the heart of the story, the decent cast and a setting to die for, it's all incredibly dull. 

 

 

 

Longest 10 episodes I've ever endured. I could not believe when I looked and I'd only watched 3. Felt like 30 hours.

 

And the dialogue - "best DJ in the world". And her brother was literally the most self-satisfied annoying cunt. I'm glad some Ibizian pointed out at some point that all these cunts were behaving like they owned the place and the locals hated them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stopharage said:

White Lines is up there as one of the worst programmes I've ever seen. It's an utter mess. 

The main actress is diabolical. Really grating with an accent that has more flavours than Baskin Robbins.

Daniel Mays is criminally wasted. The scene where he's staring at George getting out of the bath was unintentionally hilarious. 

No-one is likeable. I despised pretty much everyone. 

It makes Ibiza look utterly boring. 

They've thrown so much shit at the screen they must have hoped for a Chris Ofili painting. Instead, it's the type of dirge that even the commission editor of ITV wouldn't countenance. 

In a desperate attempt to look racy they've alluded to incest, had rampant orgies, etc.

For all the mystery at the heart of the story, the decent cast and a setting to die for, it's all incredibly dull. 

 

 

Lovely Turner Prize reference there. I heartily approve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Festoon said:

 

Longest 10 episodes I've ever endured. I could not believe when I looked and I'd only watched 3. Felt like 30 hours.

 

And the dialogue - "best DJ in the world". And her brother was literally the most self-satisfied annoying cunt. I'm glad some Ibizian pointed out at some point that all these cunts were behaving like they owned the place and the locals hated them.

I find that there's an increasing (and lazy) writing trope in dramas to make absolutely everyone unlikeable. To the extent I'm willing everyone to die or have awful things happen to them. There are many examples of unlikeable characters in TV that the viewer ends up routing for. However, none of them are in this mess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I find that there's an increasing (and lazy) writing trope in dramas to make absolutely everyone unlikeable. To the extent I'm willing everyone to die or have awful things happen to them. There are many examples of unlikeable characters in TV that the viewer ends up routing for. However, none of them are in this mess. 

 

I got the feeling we were supposed to feel for Boxer but they made him a violent murderer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to argue against the specific criticisms of White Lines but somehow despite all that I really enjoyed it, maybe its lockdown as its the sort of drivel I wouldn't really like but despite it being mostly awfully acted, lazily scripted etc etc etc we still went thru the eps quickly and always wanted to see what ludicrousness happened next.

 

It is utter crap, but despite that we never contemplated quitting it for a second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm not going to argue against the specific criticisms of White Lines but somehow despite all that I really enjoyed it, maybe its lockdown as its the sort of drivel I wouldn't really like but despite it being mostly awfully acted, lazily scripted etc etc etc we still went thru the eps quickly and always wanted to see what ludicrousness happened next.

 

It is utter crap, but despite that we never contemplated quitting it for a second.

 

Same here. Makes me wonder if all the criticism that Space Force has been getting on here means I'll probably love it? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Duty/shame is excellent. Started watching it last night and up to episode six so far. Great cast of characters and there’s so many other strands and interesting story lines running alongside the main plot. If you’re looking for a good thriller I’d highly recommend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, vezna said:

Space Force is a huge disappointment four episodes in. It just simply doesn’t really work.


I think my main problem is, spoilering just in case 

Spoiler

the main character’s too nice - he’s good, decent, earnest, and believes in what he’s doing.  So far everything just works out for him or there are no consequences:

 

Ep1: makes the wrong decision for the wrong reasons, but it turns out it was the right decision and everything works out.

Ep2: his actions make everything worse, but it doesn’t matter cause the defence secretary says so.

Ep3: rousing patriotic speech & he wins.

Ep4: he deeply destabilises the group and experiment but after he does something stupid & almost kills himself they all come together to help him open up, basically a nice therapy session.

 

There’s just no teeth, no bite, no satire.  Imagine instead it was an ambitious, career hungry bastard who fought to get to be head of the space force as they saw it as a stepping stone.  Someone who take these risks and shortcuts because it’s getting them where they’re going.  A character played by Rik Mayall or Chris Barrie or something.  Give me Malcom Tucker head of Space Force. Something with a little drive, a little grit, a little soul.  Not this blandness.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some fantastic Spanish language movies on Netflix imho. Watched both The Invisible Guardian and An Eye for an Eye recently. Both absolutely brilliant, though the latter was the better movie overall imo. Saw Luis Tosar in Sleep Tight too. He's a very good actor indeed. We watch in the original language with subs, so I can't attest to the quality of the dub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/06/2020 at 21:30, The Bag said:


I think my main problem is, spoilering just in case 

  Hide contents

the main character’s too nice - he’s good, decent, earnest, and believes in what he’s doing.  So far everything just works out for him or there are no consequences:

 

Ep1: makes the wrong decision for the wrong reasons, but it turns out it was the right decision and everything works out.

Ep2: his actions make everything worse, but it doesn’t matter cause the defence secretary says so.

Ep3: rousing patriotic speech & he wins.

Ep4: he deeply destabilises the group and experiment but after he does something stupid & almost kills himself they all come together to help him open up, basically a nice therapy session.

 

There’s just no teeth, no bite, no satire.  Imagine instead it was an ambitious, career hungry bastard who fought to get to be head of the space force as they saw it as a stepping stone.  Someone who take these risks and shortcuts because it’s getting them where they’re going.  A character played by Rik Mayall or Chris Barrie or something.  Give me Malcom Tucker head of Space Force. Something with a little drive, a little grit, a little soul.  Not this blandness.

 

I gave it 10 minutes, after looking forward to it for a while.  I dunno, it just starts and you instantly can see it doesn't work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve started rewatching Kath & Kim on Netflix, it’s wonderful..

 

I’ve noticed that if I watch Netflix through my Roku stick rather than the BT telly box I get these stupid auto plays of everything I look at, anyone know how to turn them off?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.