Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I’m currently enjoying Love On The Spectrum, a series about people with autism looking for and having relationships. I’m sometimes a bit uncomfortable watching these sorts of programme as they can feel like they’re exploiting their subjects for entertainment, but this is genuinely very warm and touching.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

I never thought a documentary about Rubik’s Cubes would make me cry, and yet here we are. 

Yes. Somehow this destroyed me! There’s just something so so amazing about Feliks’ caring relationship towards Max.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I’m currently enjoying Love On The Spectrum, a series about people with autism looking for and having relationships. I’m sometimes a bit uncomfortable watching these sorts of programme as they can feel like they’re exploiting their subjects for entertainment, but this is genuinely very warm and touching.

We watched this the other night based on a couple of other posts in here. Started the first episode and ended up watching all 5 in one go. It's obviously very similar to The Undateables but it manages to be so much better, I think just seeing more of the people and their families being a bit more real rather than being stuck in interview like situations like what happens on The Undateables really takes it up a notch.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Thor said:

I take it the silence is speaking volumes?

Well it starts terrible. The middle is well terrible. I'm just coming up to the last few episodes and it's terrible. Toe curling acting at some points and loads of obvious beats the whole way through. 

I'm still watching it. 

• Upvote 1
On 29/07/2020 at 11:10, grounded_dreams said:

The short documentary called The Speed Cubers is now out, looking forward to watching this later. The synopsis:

Discover the special bond -- and uncommon competitive spirit -- shared by the world's Rubik's Cube-solving record breakers

Watched this tonight. The perfect accompaniment to Dating on the Spectrum and at 40 minutes is a nice easy watch.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Thor said:

War For Cybertron is shit. Both Prime and Megatron sound rubbish, and the writing is rubbish.

I sort of like so far.  I find the robot lips oddly sexy.

• Upvote 1

I had never seen Deep Impact before today. I just love the idea that in the face of apocalypse, whilst other countries are shown on the news collapsing in food riots, in 'Merica everything is not only carefully planned to save people but everyone is waiting patiently in their homes to be picked to be saved with not a sign of unrest in sight.

Elijah Wood using his middle class white male privilege to save from having to rely on the lottery is particularly hilarious.

On 31/07/2020 at 21:26, kensei said:

Well it starts terrible. The middle is well terrible. I'm just coming up to the last few episodes and it's terrible. Toe curling acting at some points and loads of obvious beats the whole way through. 

I'm still watching it. 

So I finished Cursed, yup, it remained really really terrible 

Spoiler

OMG the weeping Knight is Lancelot! Unguessable by all except those that watched his appearance since the first episode. Plus the way he just cartwheels about for no fucking reasons winds me up no end. 

For a show with a female lead, loads of female warriors and diversity to the point it's distracting, Ol' Middle Aged White Merlin and his thread is painfully better than everything else. 

Every time I think about it something else annoys me. Oh God, I'm going to watch all of season 2, aren't I? 

Rating : Discovery / 10

15 hours ago, Hawklord said:

I'm late to the Somebody Feed Phil recommendation but watched 3 eps in a row tonight. You just can't help loving that guy :)

Am I the only one who finds him pretty annoying/cringe? It’s weird... I really like the shows, the way it’s shot, the places they go and the interesting food spots they visit. But he just grates on me after a while.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Am I the only one who finds him pretty annoying/cringe? It’s weird... I really like the shows, the way it’s shot, the places they go and the interesting food spots they visit. But he just grates on me after a while.

I was convinced that's how I would be. I have only watched 3 eps though, and I was drunk

25 minutes ago, dizogg said:

He's no Bourdain, that's for sure. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, dizogg said:

Nope. I put up with him to see the content. His interactions with people and his reactions to food grate massively.

15 hours ago, dizogg said:

sometimes people who think they come across as funny, charming or engaging can in fact be perceived as annoying/cringe or just twats.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Gotters said:

sometimes people who think they come across as funny, charming or engaging can in fact be perceived as annoying/cringe or just twats.

Fuck off you weird cunt.

Poor old Phil is always going to be divisive. The show has got as much edge as a butter knife and it's very disconcerting to watch something that is unrelentingly positive. I went the opposite way though, and grew to love him rather than him slowly annoying me. I do really like Everybody Loves Raymond though, and his humour is very much that straight down the middle American family Dad thing. Like, it's never going to offend anyone. Of all the ludicrously wealthy men travelling around, eating food and going on about things shows on Netflix, his is my favourite by far. Apart from Bourdain, but then that's barely a food programme.

• Upvote 2

Just finished the first series of Wanted. It's an Australian TV series from 2016 but a search didn't bring it up in here. Anyway, it's a bit Thelma and Louise but surprisingly engaging if like me you're struggling for something to watch.

On 03/08/2020 at 08:30, Gotters said:

I don't think he got it @Gotters. I chuckled though, well done.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
On 30/07/2020 at 19:11, jon_cybernet said:

I never thought a documentary about Rubik’s Cubes would make me cry, and yet here we are. 

I just watched the Speed Cubers and it had me in bits by the end too.

What a heart warming documentary.

• Upvote 2

I'm really enjoying the latest Last Chance U - its a good change of scene being set in Oakland rather than small town America and demonstrates clearly the struggles that still exist for these young players. The pressure of saving their families must weigh so heavy on them.

I do agree though that it's the right time to move on from US Football  (the next series is college basketball so expect more of the same societal issues). I don't think the show is formulaic, I think it's American society itself that is giving that familiar feeling as these problems/situations are going nowhere.

Good for it to go out with a coach who seems a better human compared to the piece of shit in the last 2 seasons.

• Upvote 1
On 05/08/2020 at 07:29, Gotters said:

I'm really enjoying the latest Last Chance U - its a good change of scene being set in Oakland rather than small town America and demonstrates clearly the struggles that still exist for these young players. The pressure of saving their families must weigh so heavy on them.

I do agree though that it's the right time to move on from US Football  (the next series is college basketball so expect more of the same societal issues). I don't think the show is formulaic, I think it's American society itself that is giving that familiar feeling as these problems/situations are going nowhere.

Good for it to go out with a coach who seems a better human compared to the piece of shit in the last 2 seasons.

Yeah it won me round in the end, particularly as an interesting case study on how America is changing. 

2 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Trailer for Charlie Kaufman's new film, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, is out. Has a superb cast, including Jessie Buckley, Jesse Plemons, Toni Collette and David Thewlis. Coming out 4th September.

That looks fabulous!