Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Completely agree @Graham S, I said the same earlier. Well worth 16 minutes of anyone's time

On 23/08/2020 at 21:20, multi said:

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens is only 16 minutes long but is a lovely watch. 

What a great guy with great taste in music that he tried to tempt aliens to contact Earth with. 

But it's not even about that. Just watch it, you will probably like it.

And it looks and sounds gorgeous

Tried watching TheSocialDilema, got half way and had to turn it off because of the horrific 'soap drama' bits they put in between the documentary.  What was that all about eh? I think you're meant to watch it and be like 'Oh yeah, ho ho that's like my house!' or something :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

interesting article about why Netflix often cancels shows after 2 seasons

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/netflix-originals-cancelled-oa-altered-carbon-sense8

Im sure I read something very similar a few months ago and it’s ingesting but this quote stood out to me

Data from media analytics firm Ampere Analysis suggests that average Netflix Original gets just two seasons before being cancelled.

I don’t doubt it but I’d be interested in some context. What’s the average number of seasons for a network TV show in the US? Are Netflix worse? I wouldn’t be surprised to find the average outside of streaming is a less, particularly as the networks cancel stuff mid season as well.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

interesting article about why Netflix often cancels shows after 2 seasons

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/netflix-originals-cancelled-oa-altered-carbon-sense8

According to a letter sent to the House of Lords Communications and Digital Select Committee, Netflix also considers three other metrics when it decides whether or not to cancel or renew a show. It looks at two data points within the first seven days and first 28 days of a show being available on the service. The first is ‘Starters’, or households who watch just one episode of a series. The second data point is ‘Completers’, or subscribers who finish an entire season.

The final metric is ‘Watchers’, which is the total number of subscribers who watch a show. In an interview with Vulture, 28 day viewership, which refers to the number of people who watch an entire season of a show within a month, was consistently referenced as one of the metrics used to decide renewal. All of that data helps Netflix paint a picture about whether to renew your favourite series or not.

Ultimately, if viewers want their favourite show to be renewed, then the first 28 days are critical periods to be both a watcher and a completer, and they just have to hope that it’s attracted enough of a mass audience to warrant the cost of renewal by its second season. 

Wondering how much of an impact this has on the writing of these programmes, which would have to satisfy or game these criteria to survive. You can imagine a hellscape of a writer's room being overseen by the equivalent of an SEO executive that wants to turn the dials up on everything to beat the formula, prioritising spectacle over story and long term character development.

Also depressing to read that bingeing a series is a key metric and that they don't commission pilots. Your programme effectively has to arrive fully formed on day one.

3 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Finished Ozark, Umbrella Academy and Russian Doll. Anything else worth a look? Would Cobra Kai be worth a try if I haven’t seen the ‘80s films it connects to?

The first Karate Kid (the only one really you need to watch) is also on Netflix. Watch that then jump into Cobra Kai (it's great).

Is anyone watching Ratched?

It's based on the origins of the biggest baddie in movie history. (Nurse Ratched) 

And God damn, it's one of the most beautiful shows I have seen in some time. The cinematography and art direction are outstanding. Only seen one episode but hope these high standards continue. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Is anyone watching Ratched?

It's based on the origins of the biggest baddie in movie history. (Nurse Ratched) 

And God damn, it's one of the most beautiful shows I have seen in some time. The cinematography and art direction are outstanding. Only seen one episode but hope these high standards continue. 

Just came into post about this.

Albeit style over substance for me. It’s not bad, it’s just a bit unnecessary.

Nurse Ratched is one of the greatest villains in film, she doesn’t need a dot-to-dot backstory. I’m just going to pretend it’s American Horror Story: Madhouse and pretend the connection to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is an unfortunate coincidence.

27 minutes ago, glb said:

Just came into post about this.

Albeit style over substance for me. It’s not bad, it’s just a bit unnecessary.

Nurse Ratched is one of the greatest villains in film, she doesn’t need a dot-to-dot backstory. I’m just going to pretend it’s American Horror Story: Madhouse and pretend the connection to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is an unfortunate coincidence.

Yeah I'm on 3rd episode now. Think you are right about style over substance. It's intriguing and very weird. Almost David Lynch at times. But feels like a bit of a slog. 

Some parts have been really hard to watch and basically torture. Quite hard going. 

I think this is based on a book about Nurse Ratcheds history from the same writer as One Flew but I have a feeling the book was nothing like this.

Will stick with it but it doesn't havey full attention this far in. 

36 minutes ago, Ry said:

Yeah I'm on 3rd episode now. Think you are right about style over substance. It's intriguing and very weird. Almost David Lynch at times. But feels like a bit of a slog. 

Some parts have been really hard to watch and basically torture. Quite hard going. 

I think this is based on a book about Nurse Ratcheds history from the same writer as One Flew but I have a feeling the book was nothing like this.

The missus is on ep four. I’ve pretty much tuned out. Went to do the dishes at one point then came back and Sharon Stone is vamping around like she’s in a film noir but a film noir directed by McG. It’s a shame. The cast is decent, the look is excellent but it’s just a histrionic soap opera at its core. With a surprising amount of gore.

Dorehedoro was a wonderful surprise after randomly trying it. One of the best anime shows I've seen in some time. Such a weird and imaginative world. Pretty funny and lighthearted for the most part too despite being incredibly violent.

On 18/09/2020 at 12:04, Gambit said:

I must be the only person in the world who can't stand Sarah Paulsen. Her many different performances in American Horror Story were excruciating, and seeing as this is from the same team I think I'll give it a miss.

It’s exactly like American Horror Story. I’m enjoying it a lot, but I really like Sarah Paulson and have watched nine seasons of AHS so probably not a great judge. 

On 21/09/2020 at 21:13, Ry said:

I'm enjoying this, but it doesn't really feel like the same character, or rather the original performance was so iconic that it seems hard to match.

I preferred Nurse Ratched as the icy formidable matriarch- an embodiment of the callous institution - now her back story is a lot more colourful, it's almost a bit much.

I do enjoy it, but I think it works better as an original character rather than a prequel. 

8 hours ago, Kzo said:

Just finished The Last Kingdom, which I really enjoyed. Got the horn for vikings now, is the Vikings series on Amazon any good?

Yeah it's good and a great companion to last Kingdom. I didn't bother with season six mind.