Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 29/10/2020 at 19:20, Waggo said:

Well I just finished Barbarians and I fucking loved it. :hat:

If you have any interest whatsoever in Ancient Rome, you need to give it a watch.

It's good, gets better as it goes on as well. 

Latin dialogue makes anyone sound evil as fuck. 

Overlord

Set against backdrop of D-Day our heroes parachute into France to take out their target, not suspecting that the Germans are doing ungodly experiments on people. 

Dogshite, don't watch it.

Hubie Halloween

A film with Adam Sandler that I didn't mind. Funny in places and quite frankly thats all I need in these pandemical times.

I needed another pleasantly binge-able sitcom-type show, so ended up settling on the good place. 

It's definitely erring more towards 'pleasant' than 'funny' (which seems as intended), but after finishing season one I'm finding the plot and pacing quite good at maintaining interest.

edit:

In fact the more I watch the more I wonder how much they had written in advance. They seem to know exactly where they're going with it.

As a fan of nicely colour-graded crime I was pleased to see Unsolved Mysteries back again. Also thankful for the returning documentary truism that if a body can't be identified and it isn't immediately obvious who done them in, they were a spy who was assassinated by another spy in a plot of subterfuge and international intrigue. 

On 02/11/2020 at 13:49, Flams said:

Overlord

Set against backdrop of D-Day our heroes parachute into France to take out their target, not suspecting that the Germans are doing ungodly experiments on people. 

Dogshite, don't watch it.

Definitely with you on this.  Awful film on so many levels. Avoid (I would say "like the plague" but... y'know... *gestures at everything*).

3 hours ago, Popo said:

I gave up after the first season. It didn’t get any better, then?

I made it partway into the second season but really everyone in in needs to be spaced with the possible exception of Saru and Lorca.

Have a look in the dedicated thread, everyone there still viewing it seems to be hate watching the show and should just give up and watch something else.  Its so bad that adding Wesley Crusher would improve it immensely! :lol:

I'm in the "I enjoyed Overlord" camp. Not many in the camp (maybe just me) but I thought it did a lot of stuff right. Characters had an obvious mission to complete, the plot was structurally pretty sound. I dunno, I liked it a lot. God knows I've seen blockbuster films far, far shittier.

Just watched Colony and enjoyed it a lot even though it’s a load of old toot really. But! It has three seasons and Netflix only has two and I can’t find season 3 available even to buy over here! I hope they hurry up and get it. Even though it was cancelled and didn’t finish properly. Stupid TV networks.

19 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I'm in the "I enjoyed Overlord" camp. Not many in the camp (maybe just me) but I thought it did a lot of stuff right. Characters had an obvious mission to complete, the plot was structurally pretty sound. I dunno, I liked it a lot. God knows I've seen blockbuster films far, far shittier.

I'm bored so I'll list my issues with it.

A lot of these points will overlap.

It was cliche character central- main character who goes from zero to hero, sergeant nasty, fierce but hot resistance fighter, whining slightly cowardly sidekick who proves his worth (two of), stupidly evil Aryan, incompetent SS soldiers, evil scientist, scary new guy who has Seen It All. 

The main character was annoying as hell. He just spent the whole film in a state of panic, hyperventilating. He was serially incompetent,  despite being 101st Airborne,  which was a fairly elite unit for the US army in 1944. Just as well he came up against the wermacht's only deaf and blind SS regiment, who never once noticed the American soldier stamping around their base. Also, did anyone else notice he, along with drill sergeant nasty and The Guy With Something To Live For, was black? In an all-white unit?

Which is one of the big problems with the film: it wasn't a good war film: it was full of inaccuracies and the action wasn't very good. The Germans were hilariously inept and were essentially useless against a (rubbish) sniper and an injured fella with an mg42. 

And then the other big problem was that the horror wasn't any good either. It was nothing we haven't seen for decades before. Its like they rolled a couple of dice, looked up the results on a table and got 'reanimator ' and "nazis" then ran with it.  There was no fear, no tension,  no jump scares and very little gore. Loads of it felt thrown in for no good reason- the taking head, the people in bags, the random tubes stuck in people, the reanimated soldier who was then stuck in a morgue drawer. It was all just meh.

You could see the ending coming from miles away. 

And:

Why did hot resistance girl have a zombie in her attic when no one else knew what was going on?

Why were there clearly bitten by zombie German corpses going into the base? Why did they only unload one and leave the rest?

Why did the American mutate and go psycho when others didn't?

Why was it implied that the soldiers with parachutes who fell out of the back of the aeroplane died, when the ones jumping out the side survived?

Why did no one know who scary new guy was, when he was instrumental to the plan?

And the acting was crap pretty much throughout. 

Other than all that: yeah, a cracker. 

I liked Overlord. Probably the closest we're gonna get to a Wolfenstein movie until Netflix scrape that particular IP barrel. The opening scene (shite fx, shite dialogue, overfamiliar, goes on foreverrr) really does a terrible job of selling it, I bet it has terrible audience stats. The ridiculous levels of cliche and implausibility are part of the fun.

Historical accuracy was the least of it's problems. (They explain away the integrated paratrooper unit by saying it's an alternate timeline.)