Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

There was just a scene where a main character remembered someone tried to murder him, so for the benefit of the audience it flashes up the bad guys face as the character says "he pushed me!" to himself, in case you forgot what happened literally minutes ago.

You know that thing in movies where there's an explosion that sucks air in and everything goes silent before a loud blast that blows everything up? Well it's definitely a trope now as it made me laugh in Mortal Engines, which I don't think is the emotion they were trying to elicit.

1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

Trial 4. Totally gripping. Binged it in one night. Really interesting, really relevant. Nicely put together. Doesn’t try to be over dramatic. Definitely recommend. 

Going through this atm, upto episode six and a really gripping investigation into what occurred to Sean.

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Look at it this way, if you made it through all of Arrested Development anything will seem good. 

Yes, that did take quite a turn for the worse towards the end.

We’re three or four eps into Schitt’s Creek now and already enjoying it more. I think that first episode does a good job setting up the characters but, because they’re all such awful people, it’s a terrible way to set up the series. Now there are hints of humanity starting to emerge it’s already much better.

I knew I was going to stick with it for sure at

Spoiler

“It’s ok, she’s his sister!”

The Call is a great Korean horror/thriller about a phone call between two characters who live in the same house, but in different time periods. It's a film where I'm sure if I think about it something will fall apart (the curse of most time travel-y related movies) but I loved it. With this and #Alive (also on Netflix), it's been a good year for Korean horror.

@Darren I admit I struggled with the first half of SE1 of Schitt's Creek, but it really kicks in after midway. I'm a few episodes into SE2 and loving it. I find with a lot of US comedy shows the first season is pretty shite and SE2 is where they seem to nail the writing and characters.

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

The Call is a great Korean horror/thriller about a phone call between two characters who live in the same house, but in different time periods. It's a film where I'm sure if I think about it something will fall apart (the curse of most time travel-y related movies) but I loved it. With this and #Alive (also on Netflix), it's been a good year for Korean horror.

Horror - "creepy, jump scare" or "splatty, chop chop"? asking for mein whiff.

The Holiday Movies That Made Us will be hitting Netflix on Tuesday, with a look at the making of Elf and The Nightmare Before Christmas. 

As someone who inhaled The Movies and The Toys That Made Us, I’m really happy about this. It’s a really well made, amusing and often insightful series that knows how to stimulate the nostalgia gland and does so willingly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch Big Mouth? Season 4 just came out, and watching the opener - and the recap song - filled me with such unbridled joy. It's fucking amazing. Offputting at first because it's crude and the visual style is kind of ugly, but it's for sure my favourite comedy right now.

3 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Anyone watch Big Mouth? Season 4 just came out, and watching the opener - and the recap song - filled me with such unbridled joy. It's fucking amazing. Offputting at first because it's crude and the visual style is kind of ugly, but it's for sure my favourite comedy right now.

I've only recently watched through the first 3 series. I was initially repulsed when j first tried to watch it but immensely enjoyed the first series in the end. After that I think it's shot it's load. Occasionally good but the impact is gone. U less they're prepared to be ruder then it's shock value is gone.

I don't watch it for that reason. It can still shock me, but that's a small part of the show for me. I love the characters and their budding pre-teen emotions. It's one of the realest depictions of puberty I've seen.

also Coach Steve.

One of the few shows that I find disgusting, so fair play to them.

Brings back serious flash backs from my past ha ha. not in a good way. Still it is a great show, though I thougt this series wasn't as strong.

Really enjoyed the previous Movies That Made Us, especially the Die Hard, well they've only gone and done one for the greatest movie of all time, The Nightmare Before Xmas

It's the wrong time of year cos its a Halloween movie but who cares, its up now to watch ? 

The smell of cakes and pies are absolutely e v e r y w h e r e ............

Been catching up on 'The Last Kindom lately', so Netflix suggested I might enjoy a film called 'Outlander' which I had never even heard of before. 

Being in a Viking frame of mind anyway thanks to LK I decided to give it 10 minutes and ended up thoroughly enjoying it.  It is basically Beowulf but with a Spacemen and Aliens, oh and Ron Pearlman turns up as well for no apparent reason whatsoever which is perfectly fine by me. :hat:

I tried watching the "Elf" episode on "Movies that made us"

Christ it's annoying. There's probably a really good story there, but they can't go more than three or four words without the chirpy narrator interrupting

"and then finishing"

the sentence.

On 10/12/2020 at 23:10, Wizcat said:

I tried watching the "Elf" episode on "Movies that made us"

Christ it's annoying. There's probably a really good story there, but they can't go more than three or four words without the chirpy narrator interrupting

"and then finishing"

the sentence.

Yeah it’s incredibly annoyingly edited. I’m sure the previous ‘Movies that made us’ wasn’t that bad. Basically can’t watch this. 

Alice in Borderland.

New Japanese TV show based on a graphic novel. Three friends all of a sudden appear in an abandoned Tokyo and are forced to play a deadly bunch of games to survive. It's like a far less sadistic Saw, crossed with a bit of sci-fi.

First episode was very good and with only 8 episodes I think I'll finish this one.