Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

After watching and enjoying 'The School Nurse Files', even though it had a crap ending, I decided to try the marvellously-titled 'Bring it on, Ghost!'

It's a South Korean show about a university student who can see ghosts and fight them in hand to hand combat somehow, then one day the ghost of a pretty girl (who has amnesia about the circumstances of her own death) follows him home and becomes his roommate with hilarious, mostly predictable consequences!

It's not very good, but I still want to finish watching it because it has a goofy charm, like a low-budget kids show but with exorcists. (The comic relief characters are given cartoon sound effects any time they do... anything.)

I saw Bumblebee had been added so gave it a whirl. So far so middling, and so desperate for you to appreciate how 80s is, until

Spoiler

Bumblebee spat out a tape of The Smiths, and that genuinely made me laugh.

I guess it's maybe the only good Transformers movie that isn't the The Movie. It's flawed, but it would have been a good start at rebooting it.

Spoiler

But I started to get tired with the number of on the nose 80s references really fast. Like, a scene where she puts down a pop tart: it's not allowed to just be a visual reference, she has to say: "here have my pop tart". Or the old guy: "I can't wait to watch more Alf."

And the nerd's room feeling more like a shrine to the 80s than any old bedroom somehow.

It's pretty much weaponised nostalgia. Which is okay, but kind of impossible to connect with when you can see the jigsaw joins of its artifice all over it.

I kind of had to sideeye the TV when she finally did a big dive at the end. When it's first shown she was a diver early on I was like: that's gonna come up later. Then when it did I was like, ah, it's the setup for when it's going to be necessary for her to do a big dive to save someone in a climactic scene... Which she sort of does, but not to actually save anyone or anything in a desperate hero moment, she just sort of gets down there and is like oh hi - at that point it was just like they forgot she hadn't done her big dive yet so she had to do it anyway, regardless of context. So oh happy chance, we wrote in some water there for her to jump into now, for reasons.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:33, Gambit said:

Alice in Borderland.

New Japanese TV show based on a graphic novel. Three friends all of a sudden appear in an abandoned Tokyo and are forced to play a deadly bunch of games to survive. It's like a far less sadistic Saw, crossed with a bit of sci-fi.

First episode was very good and with only 8 episodes I think I'll finish this one.

We binged it all in two days!

Had anyone noticed signs of a “music way louder than the dialogue” trend starting to emerge with Netflix own content? I don’t mean Christopher Nolan style where the music is directly drowning out the speech, more like the old “the adverts are way louder than the programme!” issue; with both The Queen’s Gambit and Alice in Borderland we’ve been going “talkie bit, turn it up to 35! Oh, a music scene! Turn it down to 20 or we’ll get noise complaints from the next town over!”. Not an issue with anything else we’ve watched lately.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Same! Loved it. Hopefully there'll be a season 2 to continue the story.

Then it'll get cancelled because Netflix.

I don’t want to look into it too closely due to fear of spoilers, but the original graphic novel was apparently three “series” (although over 18 volumes), which hopefully means we’re at least a third of the way through and they’re committed to wrapping it up with an overall storyline and firm ending already planned, rather than “we’ll keep dragging it out until the viewing figures drop to a level where we just stop”.

4 hours ago, MrPogo said:

Had anyone noticed signs of a “music way louder than the dialogue” trend starting to emerge with Netflix own content? I don’t mean Christopher Nolan style where the music is directly drowning out the speech, more like the old “the adverts are way louder than the programme!” issue; with both The Queen’s Gambit and Alice in Borderland we’ve been going “talkie bit, turn it up to 35! Oh, a music scene! Turn it down to 20 or we’ll get noise complaints from the next town over!”. Not an issue with anything else we’ve watched lately.

I think it's because they are mixing for surround sound but only using a plug-in to do the stereo mix - which most people are actually using. Those plug-ins just don't do a great job going from whispered dialogue to full music scenes.

16 hours ago, Benny said:

I guess it's maybe the only good Transformers movie that isn't the The Movie. It's flawed, but it would have been a good start at rebooting it.

Reveal hidden contents

But I started to get tired with the number of on the nose 80s references really fast. Like, a scene where she puts down a pop tart: it's not allowed to just be a visual reference, she has to say: "here have my pop tart". Or the old guy: "I can't wait to watch more Alf."

And the nerd's room feeling more like a shrine to the 80s than any old bedroom somehow.

It's pretty much weaponised nostalgia. Which is okay, but kind of impossible to connect with when you can see the jigsaw joins of its artifice all over it.

I kind of had to sideeye the TV when she finally did a big dive at the end. When it's first shown she was a diver early on I was like: that's gonna come up later. Then when it did I was like, ah, it's the setup for when it's going to be necessary for her to do a big dive to save someone in a climactic scene... Which she sort of does, but not to actually save anyone or anything in a desperate hero moment, she just sort of gets down there and is like oh hi - at that point it was just like they forgot she hadn't done her big dive yet so she had to do it anyway, regardless of context. So oh happy chance, we wrote in some water there for her to jump into now, for reasons.

I thought it was average, possibly the reason people enjoyed it so much was that it didn’t have Michael Bay’s grubby little mitts over it.

I tried that Alice in Borderlands show, and it seemed quite entertaining in an overly melodramatic way. Though in the third episode

Spoiler

I felt pretty bad for the woman who barely knew them, who was simply trying to survive, and fucking virgin God boy stopping her from getting away or screaming when their other mate is looking for them, thus ensuring her death. What a little prick. And somehow she's then okay with it and gives in, after being characterised as a survivor previously - it's an abuse cycle in rapid form.

Somewhat horrible really that the supposedly "nice" one of them that she had trusted dragged her down and forced her to shut up so that they could have their bro moment.

After the whole painting her as someone sleeping around to get ahead, then the patriarchal overtones of being robbed of any agency in that scene it all just felt really off.

Though one thing I do like about this genre is in each situation thinking: oh what would I do in this situation? Eh, dead. How about this one? Probably dead. This one looks doable... Oh nope, would have died in that one too.

13 hours ago, MrPogo said:

I find this with everything I watch now and I don't know if it's my ears going because I'm old or because I'm more conscientious about my neighbour's because I'm old.

I'm about half way through that Alice in Borderlands adaptation and it's got really boring

Spoiler

They dropped the interesting "games" and trying to make sense of things premise for some weak villain characters. It had a good sense of pace then just squanders it.

Don't bother wasting your time with it basically if you haven't already.

EDIT: yeah what started out promising is basically a bit shit.

20 hours ago, Festoon said:

I think it's because they are mixing for surround sound but only using a plug-in to do the stereo mix - which most people are actually using. Those plug-ins just don't do a great job going from whispered dialogue to full music scenes.

On the Virgin TV remote, there's a 'last channel' button, which allows you to flip between two channels easily. There should be a 'last volume setting' button. 

16 hours ago, Camel said:

I find this with everything I watch now and I don't know if it's my ears going because I'm old or because I'm more conscientious about my neighbour's because I'm old.

If you are using TV speakers It's not you, it's the mix they are putting together.

Buying a soundbar was what sorted it for me. Made a huge difference,

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

If you are using TV speakers It's not you, it's the mix they are putting together.

Buying a soundbar was what sorted it for me. Made a huge difference,

I'm using separate speakers run through an amp.

Finished season 2 of Stranger last night.  What a ride!  I was a bit emotional by the end.  There was a three year gap between seasons 1 and 2, so I guess if there's going to be a season 3, I've got a long wait.

Does anyone watch a lot of Korean TV on Netflix?  Is Stranger typical of the standard of Korean TV, or is it an outlier?  

I haven't seen Stranger but it sounds good, I'll watch that after I'm finished with the 'my roommate is a cute girl and a ghost (but I'm getting suspicious she may not actually be a ghost), and also I can punch ghosts' show.

I recommend 'Extra Curricular', a Korean show about a high schooler who secretly runs a sex business; it's absolutely gut-wrenching.