Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Have you watched Bad Guys: Vile City? I didn’t see the whole series but I loved what I did watch...it also has the best title of any show on Netflix.

Nope, will give that a go.  Cheers.  And Extra Curricular.

Although now I've given Stranger a thumbs up, Netflix will probably start recommending this stuff to me.

6 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I just binged all four episodes of the new documentary "The Ripper" ,about the Yorkshire ripper. It feels like a real snapshot of society of the time. The "usual" tale of misogyny and police getting things wrong.

Highly recommended.

Does anyone know if this the same one that was on the BBC earlier in the year? Although thinking about it that may have only been three episodes. 

No it’s a Netflix original. The Beeb one is very good, but this one seems better (they’ve certainly had a lot more money to throw at it).

You can tell it’s pitched at an international audience though - Leeds is billed as being ‘Northern England’, and some people with perfectly comprehensible Northern accents are subtitled!

Started The Ripper tonight and I think it's pretty good so far after one and a bit episodes. But fuck me the fact that prostitues are fair game is a pretty horrifying fact to accept of 70's England. Lays bare the inherent misogynism of the era. 

Oh and the one cop describing Chapeltown as being filled with blacks/afro Caribbeans thus making it a less worthwhile area needs to have a kicking imo. Doesn't even realise what a racist prick he is still being. 

I hate this fucking country I live in. 

On 15/12/2020 at 05:11, Benny said:

I tried that Alice in Borderlands show, and it seemed quite entertaining in an overly melodramatic way. Though in the third episode

Reveal hidden contents

I felt pretty bad for the woman who barely knew them, who was simply trying to survive, and fucking virgin God boy stopping her from getting away or screaming when their other mate is looking for them, thus ensuring her death. What a little prick. And somehow she's then okay with it and gives in, after being characterised as a survivor previously - it's an abuse cycle in rapid form.

Somewhat horrible really that the supposedly "nice" one of them that she had trusted dragged her down and forced her to shut up so that they could have their bro moment.

After the whole painting her as someone sleeping around to get ahead, then the patriarchal overtones of being robbed of any agency in that scene it all just felt really off.

Just watched that episode. 

Spoiler

Killing off both of Arisu's mates and Saori via a Hearts game in the third episode seemed a little premature. They were just building up their relationships on screen and then boom. They're all dead except for Arisu.

Agreed about how Saori was portrayed. It was just off from the very start, with the implication that she screwed over the participants of her first game, her work situation and then fucking Chota just to get one of them fully on her side. Ugh.

Just come in to write about The Ripper.

Massively disappointing, IMO.  It was similar to Fear City in that it went from A->B->C->D without any surprises or new information.  And ironically, it made exactly the same mistakes as the police.  A few thoughts.

Spoiler

West Yorkshire Police got off very lightly from the production.  There must have been twice as much time given to Wearside Jack as there was any discussion of the inherent sexism and casual misogyny of the police investigation.  Loads of time given to tapes and letters and then the head of Sunderland goes "I reckon this might be a hoax" and no coverage at all of the reaction at WYP.  Jane Smith gets two minutes and a confidential report to say that the women being murdered weren't prostitutes which was a surprise because the program spent the entirety of the first three episodes referring to them as exactly that.

Actually, that reminds me, that report is briefly shown on screen, dated 1978 and mentions Anna Rogulskyj but she doesn't even get namechecked until the next episode which is talking about 1981.

Sutcliffe being questioned nine times by WYP and the reports being ignored is given two minutes.  Him getting caught by luck and "good coppering" is largely skated over - maybe because it was Sheffield and therefore South Yorkshire that caught him and not WYP.  No real discussion of Sutcliffe despite access to those extraordinary interviews with his father and the bloke who owned the transport company that employed him.  It really felt like it was protecting the coppers in charge of the investigation - George Oldfield particularly.

There is a much more interesting documentary about the 70s, in terms of economy, the status of women in society (rich and poor), the state of policing and all these factors that enabled Sutcliffe to evade detection for so long but it seemed pretty determined to stay away from that in favour of nicely atmospheric night-time shots.

There was far too much "this is what happened" and not enough "why this happened".

I think that’s reasonable criticism, but they actually did talk a lot about those factors - they included lengthy commentary from notorious TERF Julie Bindel of all people, addressing those very issues. And for my money that was the inference of the show, from start to finish.

But the focus of the programme for an international audience on Netflix is never ever going to be the class struggle of women in Britain in the Seventies and Eighties - it’s going to be about a mass murderer, because that is what people are interested in. What was curious to me was they seemed to entirely avoid any mention of Thatcher’s interventions unless I missed it, even though she was in the titles.

This is however where the BBC4 doc The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story is much better - have you watched that? It’s on iPlayer I think if not. They make fine companion pieces, this one seems to have had access to a far wider range of people.

I keep meaning to watch that - thanks for the reminder.  And yeah, was surprised at Bindel but she seemed to be a mover and shaker at the time (appeared in some of the archive footage, I think).  The most frustrating thing for me was it every so often gave you a thread and then cut away.  The one that springs to mind was Christa Ackroyd, the reporter who was talking about waiting to see after all these years who the Ripper was, who the person who struck such fear into so many people was and it goes something like "And then he stepped into the dock and I thought 'You? All this time and it's someone like you?'" and then they immediately cut away and move on.    

It's a fair point about aiming for an international audience - Fear City is very stylistically similar and equally superficial.  Maybe Netflix is developing a style but if so it's not one I'm particularly keen on.  The best documentaries always have a point of view.

We are the Champions is great, we throughly enjoyed it but especially the cheese rolling one as the characters were brilliant. The main girl deserves a statue for throwing herself down that cliff on pingers.

The Ripper is well put together but quite light. I feel like I know the story back to front by now so sort of wished there was a different angle they could have approached it by. The footage is amazing though and confirms seventies Britain was the grimmest period in recorded human history. 

Has anyone else watched the two new anime X-Men series that were added recently?

The X-Men one is a bit average - lots of characters acting really dumb about obvious plot devices and the female characters are hilariously egregiously drawn with most shots where they're on screen consisting of about 60% boob. Plus no-one likes emo Cyclops.

The Wolverine one on the other hand is actually quite good fun - the latter half of the series is so ridiculously over the top it's quite endearing, despite the actual story being exceptionally basic. Worth a watch though.

They're two of four shows which aired consecutively starting 10 years ago originally, the other two being Blade and Wolverine. IIRC, they were all connected, but the connection was slight. Wolverine played some part in all of them and I think most of them ended up involving some weird criminal nation or something which I can't remember the name of but I think was from the comics too.

On 16/12/2020 at 13:38, ZOK said:

Yes that is a great doc, so scandalous it makes you want to kick the telly over at times.

It’s extraordinary the way they 

Spoiler

differentiated the ‘innocent’ victims from those they essentially considered were, well, they might as well have said “asking for it”.

Seems strange that the victims of the original Ripper in 1888 were treated with more compassion by the police and the press than Sutcliffe’s victims nearly 100 years later.

If anyone disappointed with The Ripper wants to watch a good documentary instead (I'm going by the reaction to the Ripper doc in here, haven't watched it myself) can I recommend

"Room 2806 : The Accused"

which is a 4 part series about Dominic Strauss Kahn, former boss of the IMF and French presidential hopeful who was accused of the rape and sexual assault of a hotel maid in New York in 2011. It's a very well told story with some very eye opening revelations.

I remember the case being in the news at the time but couldn't remember the ultimate outcome. I binged it over two nights. 

https://youtu.be/nbyUUyis33s

Not sure why that's not embedding - it's just the trailer for the doc.

I’ve just started watching Arkansas. It’s really overexposed and blown out. I’m not sure if it’s deliberate or a Netflix mistake but it’s actually distracting.

edit: I’ve just checked the trailer on Prime Video and that looks OK in comparison. I’m not paying for it though.

7 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

The Ripper is well put together but quite light. I feel like I know the story back to front by now so sort of wished there was a different angle they could have approached it by. The footage is amazing though and confirms seventies Britain was the grimmest period in recorded human history. 

I felt there was another episode to be made in examining how badly the investigation failed. They breezed over a lot of things that went wrong but didn’t really give them a proper examination. They had people in the documentary involved in the manhunt - at least one of them pretty high up - and I felt they didn’t really ask them any difficult questions.

On 21/12/2020 at 17:17, grounded_dreams said:

Trailer for Death to 2020 from Charlie Brooker, comes out 27th of this month.

Nice to see Philomena Cunk made the grade, but I suspect (lament?) Barry Shitpeas doesn’t have the kind of broad international appeal required of a Netflix show to do the same.