Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 27/12/2020 at 17:26, sammy said:

I’ve been watching Bridgerton over the last couple of nights - it’s preposterous Downton Abbey style fluff, but it’s incredibly easy on the eye and not a terrible way to spend a slightly sloshed evening.

Started this tonight, and I’d agree. Good fun. 

On 16/12/2020 at 12:01, Ste Pickford said:

Finished season 2 of Stranger last night.  What a ride!  I was a bit emotional by the end.  There was a three year gap between seasons 1 and 2, so I guess if there's going to be a season 3, I've got a long wait.

Does anyone watch a lot of Korean TV on Netflix?  Is Stranger typical of the standard of Korean TV, or is it an outlier?  

I've binged dozens of Korean shows. Stranger is definitely up there are as one of the top shows in terms of script. When it comes to acting and directing though, I'd say it's about the average for the high standard lots of Korean shows have, especially for shows produced by tvN (the Korean cable channel behind Stranger and a lot of other shows Netflix have picked up the rights for). 

I'll recommend Sky Castle. It was a huge hit in Korea when it came out. So a little info, SKY is an acronym used to refer to the three most prestigious universities in South Korea: Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University. The series follows four families, especially the wives, efforts to get their teenage children into those unis, no matter the cost to those around them. I found the first episode a little slow, but after that I was quickly hooked.

11 hours ago, Headache said:

I've binged dozens of Korean shows. Stranger is definitely up there are as one of the top shows in terms of script. When it comes to acting and directing though, I'd say it's about the average for the high standard lots of Korean shows have, especially for shows produced by tvN (the Korean cable channel behind Stranger and a lot of other shows Netflix have picked up the rights for). 

I'll recommend Sky Castle. It was a huge hit in Korea when it came out. So a little info, SKY is an acronym used to refer to the three most prestigious universities in South Korea: Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University. The series follows four families, especially the wives, efforts to get their teenage children into those unis, no matter the cost to those around them. I found the first episode a little slow, but after that I was quickly hooked.

Magic, thanks, that one sounds great, and it's not one that's popped up on our recommendations yet, so will add that to the list.

Been watching a show called Tunnel, which seems like a Korean rip-off of Life On Mars (not an adaptation, but more like someone saw Life on Mars and thought they could nick loads of the ideas, but do something different - a cop somehow goes through time from 1986 and gets stuck 30 years in the future, doesn't understand DNA and CCTV and mobile phones etc., but can do old school policing).  One weird thing about this show is that odd details are occasionally blurred out.  At first we thought it was to remove product placement, but it seems to be any time there's a close up of anything gory, the fine details is blurred out, even though you can see everything else.  And when people smoke, it's blurred out where the cigarette touches their mouth, even though you can see everything else about them smoking.  Very odd.

Yeah, Korea still has some super strict laws on what can be shown on TV which apparently are holdovers from when they were still basically under a military dictatorship which lasted until the late 80's. Knives and gore is blurred, smoking is blurred, sex scenes are completely banned. The funny thing is guns don't have to be blurred, so you can see someone holding a gun and threatening another person, but if they were holding a knife that would get blurred.

If you're into the criminal drama shows, Signal is another popular Korean one. "A cold-case profiler in 2015 and a detective in 1989 work together to solve a series of related murders spanning three decades using a special walkie-talkie to communicate with each other." The Korean version of Life on Mars is meant to be good too, although I've not watched that one myself.

2 hours ago, Headache said:

Yeah, Korea still has some super strict laws on what can be shown on TV which apparently are holdovers from when they were still basically under a military dictatorship which lasted until the late 80's. Knives and gore is blurred, smoking is blurred, sex scenes are completely banned. The funny thing is guns don't have to be blurred, so you can see someone holding a gun and threatening another person, but if they were holding a knife that would get blurred.

If you're into the criminal drama shows, Signal is another popular Korean one. "A cold-case profiler in 2015 and a detective in 1989 work together to solve a series of related murders spanning three decades using a special walkie-talkie to communicate with each other." The Korean version of Life on Mars is meant to be good too, although I've not watched that one myself.

Going to add lots of these shows to my watch list as I’ve been wanting to get into some more Korean shows but it’s difficult to know where to start. Think I’ll try Stranger first.

Surprised with what you say about their censorship though. The one Korean show I have watched (and loved) was Bad Guys Vile City, which was pretty much non stop violence.

Netflix is losing out to Britbox and Amazon Prime Video for me at the moment, and the price rise isn't helping its case. I watch more films than boxsets and it feels like Netflix' transition to a cable TV channel is almost complete. 

It seems like they've realised that spanking hundreds of millions on a director's vanity project seems a bad investment when you can throw £20 at securing the rights for Australia's Fattest Roadsweeps and get a similar audience figure. Looking back I seldom bother with their own films as they're almost all terrible dreck that have ended up on their by default, and spend a lot of time watching cheapo documentaries. I can't be unique in that as Tiger King was drivel knocked together for nothing and was a massive success. That's surely where they're heading, unless the plan is to continue losing billions every year forever.

I don’t think I’ve seen any decent Netflix original films ever, apart from Mank, which flopped in terms of ratings due to being slow paced and shot in black-and-white (and not being lowest common denominator trash, I guess).

Netflix was at its best when it was a mix of their own (admittedly variable quality) series, bought-in series like Better Call Saul, Disney/Marvel stuff like Daredevil, big studio feature films and older British TV series. It’s since lost most of its older USP, to be honest, and I agree with @Art Vandelay about the direction Netflix seems to be heading in with the quality of its content.

Prime Video has better content on it in my opinion at the moment. Everyone always complains about spending more time on the Netflix menu screen looking for something to watch than they do actually watching the thing; clearly that’s because there isn’t really much on there worth watching!

On 24/12/2020 at 23:21, jon_cybernet said:

Sweet Home - Residents of a housing block are terrified by some very T-Virus style monsters (that all feature different and often ironic mutations) over 10 episodes. 

Essentially it’s a Korean drama that’s somehow more Resident Evil-esque  than the Resident Evil movies. Especially ironic when you consider that Resident Evil was originally heavily inspired by a game adaptation of a Japanese movie also called “Sweet Home” (which as far as I can tell is just a coincidence/homage). 

This was bloody awesome, and strangely, being Korean, to me It felt exactly how I'd imagine a "Japanese" anime would look in live action. It's cheesy like an anime, but I thoroughly surprised by it, and also that I managed to pay attention enough to read all the subs!

Loads of people use my login, so it still feels good to me. I think I’m paying £13 at the minute? I don’t give a fuck at the moment anyway, tv is one of the few pleasures I have.

6 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I don’t think I’ve seen any decent Netflix original films ever, apart from Mank, which flopped in terms of ratings due to being slow paced and shot in black-and-white (and not being lowest common denominator trash, I guess).

Marriage Story was excellent. Okja was good. Struggling to think of many others though, they've definitely fared better with TV than movies.

I feel like Netflix are in a position where people will bitch and moan every time the sub goes up by a pound or two but in reality nothing much negative will happen to their subscriber numbers by virtue of them being the ubiquitous service that everyone else has and not wanting to be out of the loop. For the vast majority of people Netflix is the mainstay streaming service and any others are additive. I reckon most people would give up other services if they felt they were spending too much before they gave up Netflix. It's the power you get when you enter the market early and come to dominate it.

i recently watched a serial called sweet home, it's full of visual effects, but we're used to hp, so we shoudn't julge. the story is good, but the ending didn't have a good outcome.

Don’t forget these other excellent Originals - Siege of Jadotville, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, His House and Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.