Jump to content

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations


Recommended Posts

They’ve had plenty of good originals over the last few years. They just seem to be more under a microscope as people have their knives out for them due to their distribution method. I bet if you compared them like for like with individual Hollywood studios they’d hold their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's maybe 1 or 2 shows a year I genuinely enjoy on Netflix and maybe a handful of films I have liked (more recently Trial of Chicago 7 and Mank) 

 

Don't think that's worth the sub to be honest. 

 

Im just going to cancel and if I want to catch up on a bunch of stuff in the future then I subrcibe for a month, bing them, then cancel. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I thought Netflix had a fabulous year last year - Emily in Paris, Cobra Kai and The Crown really stand out as shows I enjoyed the hell out of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I have Netflix right now is because I’ve traded my log in with others for Now TV and Disney Plus. I also have amazon prime and out of the lot, Netflix probably has the worst content.

 

It just seems the filler has become the main content now. There is very little premium content.

 

The days when a Netflix original tv show was going to be awesome is long over. Most are just dull.

 

I don’t know why their films are so poor given their budget. 
 

I seem to switch between the 4k package to the medium one but their lock on multiple streams just makes the lower packages harder to use :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how, apparently, anyone can upload their movie to Amazon and see if they get views, similar to YouTube. How else can you explain "The Diana Clone".  (Get it watched).  

 

But Netflix is something I go halves with and share the 2 screens and even at a fiver a month I don't think it's worth it any more.  I watch one new thing occasionally, and end up sticking Breaking Bad and Fawlty Towers on. Again. Or the Office.  It's like background telly now where it used to be the main event.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think a day goes by when we don't watch something on Netflix.  Amazon Prime is more like about once or twice a week.  Iplayer somewhere in the middle.  I've just got a free sub for Apple TV+ and we're watching a couple of shows on there, but I imagine we'll have got through all the original content we've got any interest in by the end of the month on that platform.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it has been recommended already but I watched a movie called 'Rocks' last night.

 

It's a really moving but strangely hopeful story about a girl living in London and her struggles with her family, friends, school, race and poverty. 

 

Apparently none of the main cast are trained actors so it has a really authentic vibe :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kyletherobot said:

I'm not sure if it has been recommended already but I watched a movie called 'Rocks' last night.

 

It's a really moving but strangely hopeful story about a girl living in London and her struggles with her family, friends, school, race and poverty. 

 

Apparently none of the main cast are trained actors so it has a really authentic vibe :)

Oh great, really want to watch this and didn’t realise it was on Netflix. Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2021 at 21:57, probotector said:

I don’t know why their films are so poor given their budget. 

 

Uncut Gems should have bagged a couple of Oscars and, off the top of my head, Mank is damn good too so they do sometimes get hold of decent films.

 

The only Amazon film I can think of is Borat and that was awful beyond belief.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike S said:

 

Uncut Gems should have bagged a couple of Oscars and, off the top of my head, Mank is damn good too so they do sometimes get hold of decent films.

 

The only Amazon film I can think of is Borat and that was awful beyond belief.


They also did The Big Sick, which was great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 09:53, dumpster said:

I like how, apparently, anyone can upload their movie to Amazon and see if they get views, similar to YouTube. How else can you explain "The Diana Clone".  (Get it watched).  

 

But Netflix is something I go halves with and share the 2 screens and even at a fiver a month I don't think it's worth it any more.  I watch one new thing occasionally, and end up sticking Breaking Bad and Fawlty Towers on. Again. Or the Office.  It's like background telly now where it used to be the main event.  

 

I love a bad movie and The Diana Clone is quite something, in particular the scene when a panda inexplicably appears to stop someone killing a dog. Thank you for the recommendation!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GoblinUK said:

I love a bad movie and The Diana Clone is quite something, in particular the scene when a panda inexplicably appears to stop someone killing a dog. Thank you for the recommendation!

I especially liked the way that the film isn't called The Diana Clone in the actual titles, and how the end credits list the names of the people who influenced the director so much he does everything but spell their names right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 16:45, ckny said:

There’s a not too dissimilar coming of age film called The Last Tree that we watched as a double header with Rocks. Both are excellent.

I watched The Last Tree last night and I agree, it was also excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2021 at 21:44, Harsin said:

Finished Alice in Borderland. Tempted to start a thread about it. That show is a wild ride.

I watched all of that yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Any similar Japanese TV recommendations?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 17:20, deerokus said:

Lupin seems awesome from the first episode. Omar Sy is great. 

 

It's quite silly, but very slick. Really enjoyed it, but I am a sucker for charming conman/heist stuff. Very short series though at 5 episodes. Definitely left me wanting more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, hub2 said:

 

It's quite silly, but very slick. Really enjoyed it, but I am a sucker for charming conman/heist stuff. Very short series though at 5 episodes. Definitely left me wanting more.

How does it compare to the Rick and Morty episode that destroyed all the tropes of the genre? Cos I may find it problematic after seeing that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pete said:

Is there any bonking? Sounds like my parents might like it but I can't stand watching sex scenes with them.

In Lupin? Absolutely not a single trace of any bonking. There is one kiss.

 

And I thought it was absolutely awful, like a fourth rate Sherlock. Dialogue is awful. The plot is awful. Characters are awful (I especially found the journalist ridiculous- a dog named "j'accuse"??? Come on). 

 

Omar Sy is good, but it's the only thing worth watching.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally my wife and I have finished Schitts Creek.

 

Exactly the kind of show that's needed at the moment IMO as its just positive and nice, no bastard characters just pretty much straight up happiness. I can't even recall any scenes of mild peril.

 

Comedy is pretty subjective and some of the OTT characters and scenes probably has the ability to grate for some but we really enjoyed it. Just got the script reading special to go and thats that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

just found Song Exploder via Netflix's youtube channel - 2nd run of 4 eps.

 

watched straight away the 26m ep about the making of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails - I love that song and its a good interview which breaks down of aspects of recording it, Trent Reznor speaking throughout about the process and his experience at the time.

 

its also good as only spends a minute or two on the dire (to my ears) Jonny Cash version, the original though is a stone cold classic for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.