Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Netflix had been heavily promoting it on my screen for a few days so I assumed it was new, not it had been around a while. Not the sort of thing I'd normally watch but yeah, a couple of episodes in and it's great!

On 22/01/2021 at 15:12, Fargo said:

The White Tiger is out today. Loved the book and hoping the film does it justice. 

Just finished the film. Not read the book.

I thought it was very good, maybe lags in the middle. It doesn't show any of the business of his masters, only him being a servant in maybe too many subservient scenes which is a bit disappointing because it can feel repetitive. Some of the direction and cinematography is almost daytime tv drama quality, like the scene where he's cleaning feet. But other times it's epic and there's real cinematic sweep to it, its use of music and the range of introspective moments he goes through pulling you in. The central performance is great, he shows so many sides and his eyes say so much.

Would be interesting to read how it differs from the book. It feels long but is filled with so many good moments, it's clear a lot of its incisive quality comes from it being from a book because i don't think a purely written for the screen film would have the same depth. Parasite is the comparison people are using, but i think this has more scope to it even if Parasite is the better, tighter thriller. 

I give it a 7/10. The film begins with where he is currently, talking about how he got there. I think it takes too long to reach there, kind of cramming it in at the end which is a shame because 

Spoiler

his commitment to being different to the master he murdered is interesting. His business and how he operates it is interesting. How he got it started would have been interesting to see more of. The film is only 2 hours 7 minutes, but it's like the director might have been aware of its length and wanted to rap it up but had the ending occured earlier the middle wouldn't lag and it could afford to add 20 more minutes on. 

A really recommended, watchable, memorable, occassionly brilliant film but not quite a classic. I liked 99 Homes as well, more films about capitalism and exploitation are welcome. 

20 hours ago, footle said:

Of course it can. I’m watching some “inspired by Nickelodeon” drivel this evening, that so far has had one arse-fucking joke to go with its 15 rating.

(Fate: the winx saga. Which is as bad as it sounds. And yet still better than season 3 or 4 of Sabrina).

6 episodes. It *almost* commits to something interesting (and, in fact, probably does enough that I’d watch a season two) a couple of episodes too late - episode four rather than episode two.

another case of “if only the characters talked to one another, chunks of the plot would disappear”, but it almost works.

On 22/01/2021 at 21:11, cassidy said:

How's Demon Slayer. It can't be that shit if everyone in Japan is watching right? 

It’s pretty good and looks bloody lovely too, it’s also far better the manga it’s based on.

On 22/01/2021 at 21:11, cassidy said:

How's Demon Slayer. It can't be that shit if everyone in Japan is watching right? 

It’s pretty good and looks bloody lovely too, it’s also far better the manga it’s based on.

8 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Once you get over the terrible dub, Lupin is surprisingly watchable.   

Don't watch the dub man! You can pick subs instead in the audio menu.

It's watchable, though really quite ludicrous.

On 24/01/2021 at 09:26, deKay said:

Netflix had been heavily promoting it on my screen for a few days so I assumed it was new, not it had been around a while. Not the sort of thing I'd normally watch but yeah, a couple of episodes in and it's great!

The Queen's Gambit was probably my favourite TV of 2020.  Enjoy the rest!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider I found so dull I hope the series reminds me on what happened.

Actually:

Spoiler

Didn't it just end at the beginning of the first game? Was there a t rex tease? Did I dream up a better ending?

Spoiler

My memories are also blurry. But from what I recall Lara causes some cataclysm and then the game spends ages setting up that the only way to make it right is for her to sacrifice herself. Then she does the big sacrifice ritual... and she's just fine. Then it cuts to a sequelbait shot of her looking and acting  more like the old Lara Croft with Square-Enix basically going hey remember when you actually liked these games please buy the next one if we make another.  Also her chunky mate spends the entire game trailing her like a lost puppy when it's clear he permanently in the friendzone.

I Am a Killer is back with another series. I thought it was excellent if incredibly sad viewing. I remember the television being wheeled into class one day and watching a similar documentary at school about inmates on death row that really stuck with me. Just tragic tales all round really.

There’s fewer cases where people are maintaining a semblance of innocence though so it’s maybe not quite as good as some of the previous cases. The did they/didn’t they was a compelling dynamic.

I watch all this true crime so you don’t have to.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to like Space Sweepers. It looks incredible, set in a future that's part The Expanse, part Fifth Element, and part Wall-E. I loved the rich detail in the sets and the CGI. It's evident someone had a clear vision about how they wanted this to look, and that comes across well in this tale of space-junk-collectors who discover something unexpected in their salvage one day. There are a few duff effects, but there are some great space battles and one of the main characters is a robot with a very convincing presence.

The story is your fairly typcial underdog-versus-evil-corporation affair, with our heros being a motley bunch of plucky space-Koreans just looking to make a buck when a golden opportunity presents itself one day. Two of the crew are supposed to be jaded, cynical space-pirate types with chequered pasts, but that was a really hard sell when the actors were beautiful twenty-somethings with immaculate hair. Richard Armitage stars as the antagonist head of the evil corporation, eventually revealing some utterly ridiculously plan that's comic book levels of evil.

Tonally, it's a bit all over the place. I have no idea how Korean certification works, but there's a 15 certificate on this, and I thought the editors should have aimed for a PG instead, with its young cast and themes of family. Edit the script a little, and cut just a small handful of the more violent scenes, and I reckon it would have been easily achievable without compromising the film.

Unfortunately, the subtitles are a bit of a mess, which really impacted my enjoyment of the film. In this cosmopolitan vision of the future, a whole bunch of different languages are spoken, including some very poor english from a number of characters played by non-native speakers, and when the subtitles are the same language but completely different words to what's being spoken on screen it's quite distracting. They are also littered with errors and timing issues. Only Armitage is able to offer anything close to a decent line read in English, it's just unfortunate he's working from a poor script that wasn't written in the same language of its target audience.

My attention started to wander when it came to the climax, and I found myself checking the runtime when it was all over. It wasn't disasterously bloated, but could have easily lost fifteen minutes or so. For a foreign-language film, where your attention has to be on the screen in order to understand what's being said, losing focus can be fatal to your viewing experience, but the plot is simple enough that you can get make a cup of tea without pausing it and not have missed much. I've watched some pretty bad science fiction, and this is better than a lot of films I've sat through, but with the quality of Korean film and television these days I was hoping for much better.

17 minutes ago, revlob said:

I've watched some pretty bad science fiction, and this is better than a lot of films I've sat through, but with the quality of Korean film and television these days I was hoping for much better.

Yeah, that would be about my summary as well. Looked cool and held together enough to be more enjoyable than some of the bad sci-fi out there but its promise was let down by a simple cheesy script that hadn't been polished in regard to the other languages it was using and an unfortunate reliance on a weak extended cast that only have work in the Korean industry because they are foreigners and sometimes you need a foreign face to fill a role.

I've watched a lot of Korean series and it's a common weakness. You can have a great show, tightly scripted and well acted, then suddenly this European or American guy steps out and poorly delivers some oddly stilted English to one of our leads before disappearing never to be seen again. I guess the thinking is most of their audience won't be paying attention to the actor or his delivery and will just be reading the Korean subtitles. We're probably guilty of the same to be honest.

I’ve been watching that video games series that’s on Netflix, no idea what it’s called but I really like it - some very interesting stuff and I like the way they present it.

Just watched the one with Sefas Vs Nintendo - the ‘Rock the Rock’ Alcatraz Sonic / MTV world championship footage was amazing.

High Score it’s called, I just watched another one about SF2 and Mortal Kombat which was also really good.

The narrator kept calling them ‘fight games’ though - has that ever been a thing? Shirley everyone calls them fighting games?

I thought it was 'Beat 'em ups' or am I remembering that wrongly?

I never called them that myself, it was 'fighters' to me (Tekken etc) but I thought Beat 'em ups was what games mags and the like called them.

There’s a brilliant documentary about rapper MIA on Netflix at the moment - I knew nothing about her other than the track Paper Planes so the whole thing was a delightful eye opener for me.

If you are a fan I imagine it’s unmissable as the archive footage that exists from her early life is just terrific, but regardless it’s a solid doc about a very interesting artist.

Another true crime update: Crime Scene is one of the daftest things I have watched on Netflix. It’s a gossamer thin tale anyway, but the talking heads they round up really do stretch any sort of credibility to breaking point. Very reminiscent of the Maddie McCann one where they track down some old bloke who once played tennis at the resort. Expert testimony provided by a “Youtuber” and an “Internet Sluth”. Good lord.

Just a carousel of stock footage and ludicrous exposition that has nothing to do with the very dull core story. Again, like the McCann one where they had a 20 minute vignette about tourism in the Algrave in the 60s. Very bad indeed.

Don’t get me wrong, I finished it in one sitting of course. Definitely not to be taken seriously but it’s almost insulting in its stupidity. Some fucking right cards on there though so worth blasting through for a laugh if you can’t get enough of this sort of thing. One thing I do know is if I ever get fingered for a crime one look at my Netflix recommendations will be enough to see me banged up for good.