Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 10/02/2021 at 22:47, Art Vandelay said:

Another true crime update: Crime Scene is one of the daftest things I have watched on Netflix. It’s a gossamer thin tale anyway, but the talking heads they round up really do stretch any sort of credibility to breaking point. Very reminiscent of the Maddie McCann one where they track down some old bloke who once played tennis at the resort. Expert testimony provided by a “Youtuber” and an “Internet Sluth”. Good lord.

Just a carousel of stock footage and ludicrous exposition that has nothing to do with the very dull core story.

I've been watching this and it's making me lose my fucking mind. The way it brings up her bipolar diagnosis and problems with mental health is quickly moved aside because it might give the viewer an actual explanation as to her "strange behaviour" in the elevator.

I just had to stop watching when they compared it to Dark Water and go for a walk.

Yeah that was ridiculous. You could easily solve the case with a cursory glance at the toxicology report and her medical history working with the assumption that the lid was either discovered ajar or a maintenance bloke closed it when he found it open one day. If you hear the sound of hooves it’s probably not a zebra after all. I just don’t think there was a story to be told in the first place.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Yeah that was ridiculous. You could easily solve the case with a cursory glance at the toxicology report and her medical history working with the assumption that the lid was either discovered ajar or a maintenance bloke closed it when he found it open one day. If you hear the sound of hooves it’s probably not a zebra after all. I just don’t think there was a story to be told in the first place.

It's probably the worst "documentary" I've ever seen. We gave up after the first two episodes as it was just so stupid. The fact that a few of the talking heads were doing the classic Trump "Some people say" or "Many people say" thing was the last straw for me.

Utter garbage.

You know Netflix plans, how the most expensive one has Ultra HD (4K). I had it set to auto and been fine with it but I do have the expensive package so changed it to Ultra HD today. Does anyone really notice much of a difference on a good tv?

So my wife wanted to watch the rest of this to see what happened.

Spoiler

The last episode at least featured input from people who weren't just internet ghouls. It was blatantly obvious from the first episode that she was suffering from severe mental health issues. All the talk of conspiracy theories, ghosts etc was actually pretty insulting to anyone who is suffering such issues. I was disgusted by the lack of empathy and fake concern from these same keyboard warriors when they begrudgingly admitted that maybe it wasn't a big conspiracy and she was simply an extremely vulnerable 21 year old with mental health issues. I'm surprised that Ron Howard etc were happy to put their name to this sensationalist internet led bollocks. The treatment of the Death Metal musician was abhorrent and really put into perspective how quickly these idiots jump to daft conclusions. I felt sorry for him, her and the authorities who had the horrible job of investigating this tragedy in the face of such unrelenting clickbait Youtube bollocks. Utterly disgusting.

13 hours ago, Capwn said:

Does anyone really notice much of a difference on a good tv?

Slight fuzzy detail aside (though I think Netflix’s codec still manages to pack a lot into its c.15MB/s), Netflix in-house shows in particular are great at pushing Dolby Vision-enabled colour gamut.

Couple of standouts for me I remember are Sex Education which is an all-round beautifully shot and coloured show, and a club scene in Girlboss where the icing on the cake near the end of the scene, has some wicked use of UV where the lighting combines with some graffiti outside the club.

In summary - worth it if your telly has DV.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

So my wife wanted to watch the rest of this to see what happened.

Hide contents

The last episode at least featured input from people who weren't just internet ghouls. It was blatantly obvious from the first episode that she was suffering from severe mental health issues. All the talk of conspiracy theories, ghosts etc was actually pretty insulting to anyone who is suffering such issues. I was disgusted by the lack of empathy and fake concern from these same keyboard warriors when they begrudgingly admitted that maybe it wasn't a big conspiracy and she was simply an extremely vulnerable 21 year old with mental health issues. I'm surprised that Ron Howard etc were happy to put their name to this sensationalist internet led bollocks. The treatment of the Death Metal musician was abhorrent and really put into perspective how quickly these idiots jump to daft conclusions. I felt sorry for him, her and the authorities who had the horrible job of investigating this tragedy in the face of such unrelenting clickbait Youtube bollocks. Utterly disgusting.

This is spot on. The focus is far too skewed towards the have-a-go-heroes and internet idiots and only briefly flits between two actually quite interesting detectives who know the case inside out. Probably because they could have summarised the whole thing in a sentence. It's only a trashy Netflix documentary, but it does have a lot to say about the democratisation of opinion in media, although completely unintentionally. Everyone's thoughts are apparently equally valid, whether you're the lead detective or some gremlin that sits in his mum's spare room pouring over an edited Youtube clip and declaring it was the work of a Chinese spy or something. 

They tried to have their cake and eat it too by making a ridiculous ghost story whilst tacking on some insincere bollocks at the end about it being bad to jump to conclusions and bully people on the internet. I've written too much about this rubbish now, but I completely agree that people should be genuinely ashamed to be attached to this.

On 04/01/2021 at 21:22, Headache said:

I've binged dozens of Korean shows. Stranger is definitely up there are as one of the top shows in terms of script. When it comes to acting and directing though, I'd say it's about the average for the high standard lots of Korean shows have, especially for shows produced by tvN (the Korean cable channel behind Stranger and a lot of other shows Netflix have picked up the rights for). 

I'll recommend Sky Castle. It was a huge hit in Korea when it came out. So a little info, SKY is an acronym used to refer to the three most prestigious universities in South Korea: Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University. The series follows four families, especially the wives, efforts to get their teenage children into those unis, no matter the cost to those around them. I found the first episode a little slow, but after that I was quickly hooked.

OK, finally finished Sky Castle yesterday.  What a ride!  I think it might be one of my favourite ever TV shows.  We watched one episode a night, most week days, so the 20 episode run took us a good month to watch.  By the time we were halfway through, the evening episode was becoming the highlight of our day.

Thanks for the recommendation, as I wouldn't have tried it without you suggesting it.

We're going to try LIFE next as the blurb says it's by the same writer as Stranger.

Last night we watched The White Tiger.

It's the story of an Indian entreprenuer, and how he escapes the trappings of poverty. The protagonist is much more of a morally ambiguous character than I've seen in other rags-to-riches stories, but the film does a good job of generating sympathy for him, showcasing the difficult and dangerous choices he makes and the realities of a harsh wealth divide. It wanders a little in the second half, but the performances from the cast are great, and the story didn't fail to surprise me a couple of times. Not as good as Pad Man, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Really not finding the new “Play Something” random watch feature much use.

If anyone hasn’t got it or used it, then it basically picks something at random and starts playing it. My problem is that everything it picks is the same stuff filling my home screen already.

Whilst there might be a place for getting something going without choosing the reality to me is that when I cannot pick it’s not because I cannot choose between the things I can already see, but rather that I don’t fancy watching them.

I feel like a true random pick from their collection (with maybe the only input being film vs TV show) would be much better and offer a true oh different way to browse. Show me like 5-10 items picked out their catalog not based on what I’ve watched or what is popular.

I find it interesting how slowly some of this stuff changes or how few options of ways to browse their content are available. Still don’t get why no “year of release” or proper genre browser is available.

3 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

I find it interesting how slowly some of this stuff changes or how few options of ways to browse their content are available. Still don’t get why no “year of release” or proper genre browser is available.

Agree, it's complete shit how limited it is. I end up using the justwatch website. All the filters you could wish for on there.

Anna and the Apocalypse. 

So I'm coming from a position of hating musical theatre. Bar South park the movie and Rocky Horror. 

Heard this was great. It's ok. Don't like songs replacing story and character building tbh. Write dialogue without song's instead. 

There's some ok gore and a few laughs but mainly it failed for me. 

30 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Anna and the Apocalypse. 

So I'm coming from a position of hating musical theatre. Bar South park the movie and Rocky Horror. 

Heard this was great. It's ok. Don't like songs replacing story and character building tbh. Write dialogue without song's instead. 

There's some ok gore and a few laughs but mainly it failed for me. 

As someone who likes horror and musical theatre, I think this had one great song and a few mediocre ones. The songs are also quite frontloaded - they seemingly forgot it was a musical 2/3 of the way through the film (bit like Frozen). It was worth a watch for me, but as a movie, it needed to be much funnier with better songs to truly sing. 

As someone who despises musicals and hates it when TV shows have their "musical episode" (thanks Buffy for this tradition). Anna and the Apocalypse is the only musical I've ever actually enjoyed. :lol:

14 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Really not finding the new “Play Something” random watch feature much use.

If anyone hasn’t got it or used it, then it basically picks something at random and starts playing it. My problem is that everything it picks is the same stuff filling my home screen already.

Whilst there might be a place for getting something going without choosing the reality to me is that when I cannot pick it’s not because I cannot choose between the things I can already see, but rather that I don’t fancy watching them.

I feel like a true random pick from their collection (with maybe the only input being film vs TV show) would be much better and offer a true oh different way to browse. Show me like 5-10 items picked out their catalog not based on what I’ve watched or what is popular.

Every time I've used it it always put on something that Netflix has produced. No, I do not want to watch Midnight Sky FFS.

40 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Every time I've used it it always put on something that Netflix has produced. No, I do not want to watch Midnight Sky FFS.

There's definitely a lot of this. Which reflects that most of the new stuff arriving is from them and that they basically use this same very limited pool to recommend stuff. If they would just dive into their archives I think they'd surface a lot more interesting options I didn't even know were there.

Thank you RLLMUK for being a voice of sanity regarding Crime Scene. I'm sick of true crime stuff but my wife can't get enough of it, so she watched the first episode on her own and encouraged me to do the same. I thought it was a paper-thin "mystery" before I even started and stretching it across a series seemed like a tall order. (We get it, the hotel is a dump!)

The way the talking heads in it were clearly trying to spout snappy soundbites was grating and some of them were barely coherent. I bailed out about ten minutes into the second episode when I realised my Friday night was being spent listening to readings of vacuous Tumblr posts.

I watched The Innocent Man, John Grisham’s documentary, whilst cooking tea during the week. There’s some fantastically rich speaking voices in it, but it’s not enough to save it as the whole thing is deathly dull and moves along like treacle. I found it quite difficult to follow too. It was like a cleansing face wipe after Crime Scene, but that’s no recommendation really. The lockdown true crime barrel is being thoroughly scraped now.

I Care a Lot is infuriating but also rather good. Rosamund Pike gets old people taken into care and gets control of their assets. Legally. Until she messes with an old lady with shady connections. Far-fetched, but as a study of the sheer drive of American individualism and the parallels between legal and illegal business, it does a good job.

27 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I Care a Lot is infuriating but also rather good. Rosamund Pike gets old people taken into care and gets control of their assets. Legally. Until she messes with an old lady with shady connections. Far-fetched, but as a study of the sheer drive of American individualism and the parallels between legal and illegal business, it does a good job.

The is on Prime, not Netflix.

But enjoyed it.

Seems to be Netflix for the US, India and most other countries, and Prime for some others.

Shortly after, Netflix acquired distribution rights to the film in select countries including the U.S., Germany, Latin America, South Africa, the Middle East, and India.[11] Prime Video subsequently acquired rights in Australia, Canada, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom through Black Bear's international distributor STX.[12] It was released on both services on February 19, 2021.[13][12]