Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I watched the Cecil Hotel documentary, partly out of morbid curiosity to see if it was really as bad as everyone was saying.  I surprised myself by enjoying the first episode, with all the stuff about Skid Row and the surrounding area in downtown LA and the bits about the politics of why it was as it was. I actually learned something there.  The rest was tripe.

Been watching Behind Her Eyes absolute trash with a mid series reveal that will have some reaching for the off button in disgust, I’ve been enjoying it all the same, and Bono’s daughter plays one of the leads :mellow:

15 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I Care a Lot is infuriating but also rather good. Rosamund Pike gets old people taken into care and gets control of their assets. Legally. Until she messes with an old lady with shady connections. Far-fetched, but as a study of the sheer drive of American individualism and the parallels between legal and illegal business, it does a good job.

Far fetched is putting it mildly but it was good fun nonetheless. Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage were both great.

On 20/02/2021 at 16:05, Stanley said:

Been watching Behind Her Eyes absolute trash with a mid series reveal that will have some reaching for the off button in disgust, I’ve been enjoying it all the same, and Bono’s daughter plays one of the leads :mellow:

Just started this. Good to see Rahoul from Bake Off making an appearance in the first episode.

Watched I Care A Lot on amazon last night (guess its on both platforms) - what an awful and odd film it was.

All the characters were deeply unpleasant and like sketch caricatures, and the tone was really weird. I wasn't sure if it was aiming at a jokey but slightly blacker comedy vibe take on Oceans 11 or Catch Me If You Can, it utterly failed if attempting this.

There was a decent premise which I assume is founded in a real US problem, guardianship seemed the sort of thing they'd be big into and rife for shady operators - this was not a good film to explore it though as one the initial premise was quickly dealt with it became a badly plotted and ludicrous 90m to get to the end and see who, if anybody, got their comeuppance.

Rubbish/10.

We started watching this last night. I watched two seasons of The Knick with her in it and never new she was Bono's daughter.

We watched the Arnie film Sabotage the other night. I never fancied it but we really enjoyed it. Old age has given Arnie a gravitas that he didn't have before. He played the role well and the lack of cheesy one liners was refreshing. Bloody hell though how did this get away with a 15 rating? Gore, sex, drugs and effin' n' jeffin'. Back in the day this would have been a hard 18 rating. Either that or cut to ribbons!

I'm sure it can't be the reason but it seems to me that films with fake CGI blook - of which 'Sabotage' was one - def get lower ratings than the equivalents that go crazy with the blood bags. I too remember thinking how old school 'Sabotage' felt as an action flick, the body count is pretty high with some savage kills.

I watched this at the weekend on the recomendation of that reveal. It was an alright watch. I'll admit I didn't see the ending coming so quite enjoyed how it played out.

That said, the actual method was pretty ridiculous:

Spoiler

Adele's plan was to drug herself and set the house on fire then rely on Louise falling asleep on the doorstep and willingly have an out of body experience, instead of actually doing anything else less risky. Er, what?

I see Chappelle's Show is back on there. All the swearing has been left in which is good, but they tend to jump back after the last ad break straight into the end credits so I'm guessing maybe the live music acts have been cut out on some of them? A small quibble either way as it's still brilliant. 

I don’t actually know if it’s the case here, but a lot of US shows do have an ad break just before the end credits. You often notice it with stage type shows, where they say “we’ll be back after the break” only to return just for the credits. 

City of ghosts

Now, I know this is just a kids TV show and it's a U certificate. But damn it, its bloody good. ,

It's weird and quirky it's like if Wes Anderson did a kids show. The animation is lovely and there's a gentle warmth to it. 

Perfect Sunday afternoon feel good tv

Am thinking of sacking off Netflix for a while - the last month or so hasn’t seen much at all of note.

Haven’t had Apple TV+ or Disney+, so might sign up to one of those for a bit, rinse, then go back to Netflix later in the year

I only subscribe for a few months of the year. I let this thread build up then add all the recommendations to my list when I resubscribe. The recommendations are much appreciated everyone!

Apple TV has some good stuff you can rinse in a month. I would say Ted Lasso is worth  a sub, as is Mythic Quest, and I enjoyed Greyhound for what is was. Also the Beastie Boys documentary.

After that, erm...

53 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Apple TV has some good stuff you can rinse in a month. I would say Ted Lasso is worth  a sub, as is Mythic Quest, and I enjoyed Greyhound for what is was. Also the Beastie Boys documentary.

After that, erm...

Wolfwalkers, too.

I thought Behind Her Eyes was ok. The premise was a bit silly but the ending

Spoiler

Was so grim I kind of enjoyed it. I figured with how light a lot of it seemed that things would be ok, but then the Scottish junkie won and killed the main character and stole her life. I enjoyed how it kept you guessing about who was insidious and who was just stressed because of the crazy shit happening in their lives. I think the reveal at the end that actually Rob (who seemed pretty sympathetic up until then), was the psycho and Adele, David and everyone else were his victims was a decent twist.

19 hours ago, Triple A said:

Am thinking of sacking off Netflix for a while - the last month or so hasn’t seen much at all of note.

Haven’t had Apple TV+ or Disney+, so might sign up to one of those for a bit, rinse, then go back to Netflix later in the year

you can get 6 months of starzplay for £12 at the moment some decent exclusives 

On 06/03/2021 at 23:45, Broker said:

I thought Behind Her Eyes was ok. The premise was a bit silly but the ending

Reveal hidden contents

Was so grim I kind of enjoyed it. I figured with how light a lot of it seemed that things would be ok, but then the Scottish junkie won and killed the main character and stole her life. I enjoyed how it kept you guessing about who was insidious and who was just stressed because of the crazy shit happening in their lives. I think the reveal at the end that actually Rob (who seemed pretty sympathetic up until then), was the psycho and Adele, David and everyone else were his victims was a decent twist.

I enjoyed the show. Binged it almost in one go.

It was ridiculous, but they threw plenty of red herring chum in the water to keep you guessing. Almost too much some times, as they wait arguably too long before giving you anything to chew on. It's not enigmatic if they're just waving a secret in your face without giving you a path into it.

Everyone did a good job in their roles, although Tom Bateman as the world's most ancient 22-year-old was pretty hilarious.

Edit: I've been thinking about this more since watching it.

Spoiler

Wondering if there's an element of trans allegory, or perhaps a conflation of gay men and trans women. Obviously the class and poverty issue was the more obvious motivator for Rob, but his principal driver seemed to be keeping David —as a straight woman.

I might do some googling and see what more informed people than me are thinking. I could see it being seen as a little glib, and potentially insulting, from certain angles.

How come no-one’s mentioned how good Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is?! I’ve just started watching it and it is cracking me up. 

47CD9902-5E97-4AAF-8080-1288E26A9907.thumb.jpeg.bee18436db41e6669232c370ee066b1a.jpeg

That must be one of the greatest lines in anime.

Looking forward to starting the new Last Chance U which has gone up today, having felt they'd run their course with American football the new college & focus is on basketball, but I suspect the stories will be depressingly familiar.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

How come no-one’s mentioned how good Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is?! I’ve just started watching it and it is cracking me up. 

47CD9902-5E97-4AAF-8080-1288E26A9907.thumb.jpeg.bee18436db41e6669232c370ee066b1a.jpeg

That must be one of the greatest lines in anime.

You're in for one wild ride.

15 hours ago, Gotters said:

Looking forward to starting the new Last Chance U which has gone up today, having felt they'd run their course with American football the new college & focus is on basketball, but I suspect the stories will be depressingly familiar.

It's good! More sensitive and thoughtful than it's football twin. Basketball players seem like philosophers compared to the footballers.