Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Trailer for Love Death + Robots volume 2

I liked the first run so pleased they are doing more. None of the stories were amazing but it was creative and had some great visuals, so looking forward to the next lot. 

Hoping for more shorts as good as Zima Blue in Love Death Robots Vol. 2. 

This new Alexandre Aja movie Oxygen looks pretty promising as well, even though Netflix' kino is more often miss than hit.

Thinking of watching Vampires vs The Bronx tonight with the kids (11 & 13). Looks fun, the reviews say it’s fun and funny, and it has an underlying message of gentrification, which the kids will respond to. 

Looks like it’ll have a Batteries Not Included / Goonies vibe, with a few extra swears. Anyone seen it?

20 hours ago, cassidy said:

Stowaway was a bit boring tbh. 

And also a bit rubbish and, despite its 2 hour run time, ended wildly abruptly.

Spoiler

I enjoyed it, but despite only having 4 characters it really needed to focus in something a bit more. Personally, I'd have cut both batches of algae dying - which was a poor motivation for David getting involved and then being a bit shit - and just had the one trip to the tank for oxygen, invoking maximum peril at that point. As it was, the last 25 mins or so of the movie is them doing the same thing twice, but with sparkly lights the second time, and then never actually resolving the story (do they make it) because it suddenly became about the doctor not making it when she hadn't really been the backbone to that point.

Also, the captain was shit. Absolutely rubbish.

Needed about 30 minutes trimming from it and to be way more interesting.

1 hour ago, Twinbee said:

Thinking of watching Vampires vs The Bronx tonight with the kids (11 & 13). Looks fun, the reviews say it’s fun and funny, and it has an underlying message of gentrification, which the kids will respond to. 

Looks like it’ll have a Batteries Not Included / Goonies vibe, with a few extra swears. Anyone seen it?

We enjoyed it with our 10 year old.

I know. We filed it under “it was a different time”, and the kids still enjoyed it, but it was a bit squirmy at parts.

I’d like a sequel that just focuses on Susan, and how this whole episode damaged her future relationships. From her reaction in the movie (“oh jeez, I can really pick em!”), to “oh my god I took a 12-year-old’s virginity”

On 23/04/2021 at 15:37, davidcotton said:

Anyone watching Shadow and Bone?

Yes, it's YA to the max, hence an assassin with a bazillion knives being reluctant to kill anyone. 

4 episodes in, I absolutely adore the aesthetics, the late victorian Russian steam punk vibe is sumptuous. But the characters are all one dimensional so far and the love triangle stuff is dull.

And it's yet another simple county child that discovers they have the power to save the world if only they accepted their destiny yadda yadda yadda. Final fantasy knock off. 

Come for the visuals, stay for the world building, try to ignore the terrible acting. 

7 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Come for the visuals, stay for the world building, try to ignore the terrible acting. 

How bad we talking? Karli from Falcon and Winter Soldier level?

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

How bad we talking? Karli from Falcon and Winter Soldier level?

It's nowhere that bad, it's just a bit hammy really. No one gets too long in a scene to really convey much emotion, they deliver their bit of plot and then we're off to the next scene. 

I'm not entirely sure who the bad guys are or who the army is supposed to be fighting.. It's very final fantasy characters and plot. "There a thing that has to be done and you have to do it lass" 

We finished Schitt’s Creek last night - what a lovely, feelgood series, absolutely bursting with positivity without ever being cheesy, and extremely funny throughout. I think it just loses out to The Good Place for my favourite Netflix comedy as that was just so clever and bonkers as well, but I’m so glad people here persuaded me to stick with it after the first few episodes. I don’t know how they managed to turn such initially hateful characters into such sympathetic ones but somehow they did and that character development all felt very natural. A masterpiece.

Now we need another comedy recommendation, what should we watch next? Apart from the two series mentioned above we’ve also watched Arrested Development and Community so I think we’ve covered the big hitters already.

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

We finished Schitt’s Creek last night - what a lovely, feelgood series, absolutely bursting with positivity without ever being cheesy and extremely funny throughout. I think it just loses out to The Good Place for my favourite Netflix comedy as that was just so clever and bonkers as well, but I’m so glad people here persuaded me to stick with it after the first few episodes. I don’t know how they managed to turn such initially hateful characters into such sympathetic ones but somehow they did and that character development all felt very natural. A masterpiece.

Now we need another comedy recommendation, what should we watch next? Apart from the two series mentioned above we’ve also watched Arrested Development and Community so I think we’ve covered the big hitters already.

Have you watched Parks and Recreation? That got added to Netflix recently and is a similarly warm, feel-good watch. Just skip season 1 if you do watch it as it's basically an entirely different, much worse show and you won't miss anything by ignoring its existence. 

I believe Superstore is meant to be another very good comedy in this vein but I haven't ever gotten around to watching it yet.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Don't know about feel good or positive but It's Always Sunny and Trailer Park Boys are both on there and 2 of the best comedy series ever. 

Also Brooklyn 99, the latest series was recently added so I got to get up to date with that finally.

When always sunny hits its absolute gold but some episodes just aren't funny.  So given its like 17 seasons or something now I'd maybe do a quick Google on what people say is a good selection and see if you like it from there.

Always Sunny is funny as hell but it’s about as far away from positive comedy as it gets: all the main characters are horrible, horrible people doing horrible things and are so completely unlikeable that you can’t help but like them. 

What I liked most about Schitt’s Creek is that being gay was so totally normal it was never even commented on or questioned, especially when you consider the Podunk backward rural America it’s set in. David being openly gay and in a relationship is never commented on in the same way as you wouldn’t question or comment a relationship between a man and a woman. I know it’s co-written by Daniel Levy who is obviously gay in real life, but the way he normalises it rather than use it as a platform or to belittle people he thinks are inferior (I mean he does that a lot, it’s kind of his thing but not about them being prejudice). It’s such a lovely, sweet show for it. 

18 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Yes, it's YA to the max, hence an assassin with a bazillion knives being reluctant to kill anyone. 

4 episodes in, I absolutely adore the aesthetics, the late victorian Russian steam punk vibe is sumptuous. But the characters are all one dimensional so far and the love triangle stuff is dull.

And it's yet another simple county child that discovers they have the power to save the world if only they accepted their destiny yadda yadda yadda. Final fantasy knock off. 

A pretty reasonable assessment I think, although I don’t know why you thought she was an assassin given the early plot point about her having never killed anyone before. 

I’ve actually read the books and they have stripped a lot of the nuance out of the characters to go for more broad strokes, which is a shame. There’s more focus on female empowerment which is good, but it comes at a cost of some character development, such as taking away things that other characters did with specific motives and giving it to Alina instead. 

There wasn’t a lot to begin with in all fairness but I don’t think the adaption has been entirely successful (based on the first five episodes). All of the heist stuff and the characters involved are a new addition and as a result they’ve rushed through Alina’s storyline too quickly. 

7 hours ago, Darren said:

We finished Schitt’s Creek last night - what a lovely, feelgood series, absolutely bursting with positivity without ever being cheesy and extremely funny throughout. I think it just loses out to The Good Place for my favourite Netflix comedy as that was just so clever and bonkers as well, but I’m so glad people here persuaded me to stick with it after the first few episodes. I don’t know how they managed to turn such initially hateful characters into such sympathetic ones but somehow they did and that character development all felt very natural. A masterpiece.

The US Office if you haven't seen that.

Yeah US office is a good shout. Just stick with it for the first season or two, cus it goes from Michael Scott being a David Brent style unlikeable asshole to changing his character into a naive but mostly well-meaning dumb nice guy and is all the better for it. 

3 hours ago, Radish said:

A pretty reasonable assessment I think, although I don’t know why you thought she was an assassin given the early plot point about her having never killed anyone before. 

Now see, I thought a sneaky sneaky oooh she appears and disappeared again character with a dozen knives in her bodice, who has a cloak and hood, was an assassin.

We were shown all the knives being removed before she talks to the lady in the house, who told her to go and kill someone, so it made no sense when she didn't. But makes more sense if she not an assassin. Not having read the books I've no idea who anyone Is and have just made some assumption based on their costume. 

10 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Did someone mention Kim's Convenience already? Sure it was on here. Anyway, I just watched the first few episodes and it's great, another charming and funny and feel-good little comedy show. 

The Auto company manager is great. She's a good comedian. As are the Kim parents, particularly the mother.