Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

14 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

What I liked most about Schitt’s Creek is that being gay was so totally normal it was never even commented on or questioned, especially when you consider the Podunk backward rural America it’s set in. David being openly gay and in a relationship is never commented on in the same way as you wouldn’t question or comment a relationship between a man and a woman. I know it’s co-written by Daniel Levy who is obviously gay in real life, but the way he normalises it rather than use it as a platform or to belittle people he thinks are inferior (I mean he does that a lot, it’s kind of his thing but not about them being prejudice). It’s such a lovely, sweet show for it. 

The making-of doc on Netflix goes into this a bit more, of envisioning a future where it’s not an issue. Worth a watch, though you may get a little dust in your eye. 

22 hours ago, Darren said:

We finished Schitt’s Creek last night - what a lovely, feelgood series, absolutely bursting with positivity without ever being cheesy and extremely funny throughout. I think it just loses out to The Good Place for my favourite Netflix comedy as that was just so clever and bonkers as well, but I’m so glad people here persuaded me to stick with it after the first few episodes. I don’t know how they managed to turn such initially hateful characters into such sympathetic ones but somehow they did and that character development all felt very natural. A masterpiece.

Now we need another comedy recommendation, what should we watch next? Apart from the two series mentioned above we’ve also watched Arrested Development and Community so I think we’ve covered the big hitters already.

Comedy recommendation - Corner Gas, but it's on Amazon Prime.  It's a lovely, low key Canadian sitcom, quite a few years old now.

Alternatively, Kim's Convenience is quite nice. Another Canadian one, on Netflix.

19 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Comedy recommendation - Corner Gas, but it's on Amazon Prime.  It's a lovely, low key Canadian sitcom, quite a few years old now.

Alternatively, Kim's Convenience is quite nice. Another Canadian one, on Netflix.

It was only when I watched the Schitt's Creek documentary that popped up at the end that I realised it was Canadian.

We've been watching Superstore which is OK but like going down the pub to see a covers band and expecting them to sound like the real Pink Floyd or Oasis when you compare it to the US Office. 

It never really bothers itself with over arching storyline that much and the characters change how they behave at will to suit whatever the flimsy storyline of the week is, the short eps though make it very easy to watch and fit in when you can't face anything more demanding, like a Bake Off or Pooch Perfect episode.

It starts out OK and has definitely peaked by mid season 3, may be a slog to see it thru now especially as my other half finally relented to watch the real McCoy in the US Office for the first time (for her), it'll be my 4th run thru and I can't wait.

I needed some background noise on whilst I cooked tea and started watching The Staircase again, only to get completely engrossed in it once more. It's really interesting seeing it again now I'm of the opinion that SPOILER ALERT I think he totally fucking did it. SPOILER ALERT. He's a much better story teller than he is an actor.

On 25/04/2021 at 18:07, Art Vandelay said:

Sweet Jesus, that Manhunt: Unabomber isn't very good is it. In fact I would actually say it is really rather bad indeed. 

Yeah, a really interesting story ruined by cliche melodramatic storylines about the investigators and phoned in acting. The ginger bearded FBI dude is such a comically bad villain it's terrible and he's not alone in his awfulness, the writing is just incredibly poor. However it's worth watching for the one episode that shows the unabombers experience at university, truly quite mad. It's a shame as the subject matter is so interesting it was really worth a better adaptation.

On 26/04/2021 at 11:04, Ste Pickford said:

This popped up as a recommendation for me. Loving them so far and reminds me a little of Desmonds if translocated to Canada. Definitely has a good bit of heart rooting it all together. 

28 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah, a really interesting story ruined by cliche melodramatic storylines about the investigators and phoned in acting. The ginger bearded FBI dude is such a comically bad villain it's terrible and he's not alone in his awfulness, the writing is just incredibly poor. However it's worth watching for the one episode that shows the unabombers experience at university, truly quite mad. It's a shame as the subject matter is so interesting it was really worth a better adaptation.

This is all completely spot on. The Ted Kaczynski character is especially poorly realised as they made him out to be something between a criminal mastermind and Hannibal Lector, when actually the reality is far more interesting and probably more troubling. When I’ve seen interviews with him he’s actually quite a sympathetic character, which is mad considering what he did.

I think the scene with the Slavic nachos may be the stupidest thing ever committed to screen.

Mitchell's Vs the Machines out today, new animation from Sony (Spiderverse) that has been getting great reviews. Can't wait to watch it tonight with

the family (and be told how much they hate it). 

9 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Mitchell's Vs the Machines out today, new animation from Sony (Spiderverse) that has been getting great reviews. Can't wait to watch it tonight with

the family (and be told how much they hate it). 

To no surprise, you can only find it if you search for it. 

15 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

To no surprise, you can only find it if you search for it. 

Perhaps it depends on your viewing history? I just opened Netflix and it was the featured item on the landing page for me.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

Perhaps it depends on your viewing history? I just opened Netflix and it was the featured item on the landing page for me.

I watch plenty of animations. Didn't even see it in the Children profile too :/ 

On 28/04/2021 at 15:38, ckny said:

The Oscar winning short film Two Distant Strangers is essential viewing. Give it half an hour of your time tonight.

Thanks for this, just watched it in my lunch break. Outstanding piece of work. A real punch to the gut short film with a couple of fantastic performances. 

Would also recommend not even reading the little Netflix synopsis if you can avoid it and go in cold.

On 27/04/2021 at 23:21, James Lyon said:

The Paul Bettany stuff is good. Everything else is a bit forgettable.

I have no idea what you’re referring to, but this is sound advice for practically everything Paul Bettany’s ever been in.

Not Netflix (HBO show) but Mare of East town is really bloody good. Kate Winslet is fantastic in it. 

It's a crime/murder whodunit that's really well acted, shot and written. 3 episodes in and it moves along at a compelling pace and not filled with the usual bullshit filler (it's an HBO production after all) 

Ragnarok season 2 coming May 27th.

https://www.youtube.com/tv?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#/watch?v=I9XxsHy7oO4

The first is abit of a hidden gem. Norwegian coming of age, teen drama based around Norse mytholgy. It was perhaps hurt abit by lack of budget at times especially in the finale. Hopefully they gave season 2 abit more cash and it lives upto season 1. The two mains Magne and Lauritas aka  

Spoiler

Thor and Loki are fantastic. 

18 hours ago, Orion said:

Ragnarok season 2 coming May 27th.

https://www.youtube.com/tv?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#/watch?v=I9XxsHy7oO4

The first is abit of a hidden gem. Norwegian coming of age, teen drama based around Norse mytholgy. It was perhaps hurt abit by lack of budget at times especially in the finale. Hopefully they gave season 2 abit more cash and it lives upto season 1. The two mains Magne and Lauritas aka  

Reveal hidden contents

Thor and Loki are fantastic. 

Thought I was the only person who watched this. It had its moments and was intriguing to begin with but it ended up in so bad it’s good territory. The school disco dance scene has to be some of the weirdest television ever made. 

23 hours ago, El Geet said:

Thought I was the only person who watched this. It had its moments and was intriguing to begin with but it ended up in so bad it’s good territory. The school disco dance scene has to be some of the weirdest television ever made. 

We watched it last year, or whenever it came out and thought it was great in a not going to mention it on rllmuk kind of way.

On 19/04/2021 at 16:31, PeteJ said:

Trailer for Love Death + Robots volume 2

I liked the first run so pleased they are doing more. None of the stories were amazing but it was creative and had some great visuals, so looking forward to the next lot. 

Volume 2 is out today!

Watched 6 of the 8 episodes of season 2 of Love , Death & Robots. Lot  less T+A in general  and a bit more twilight zone with some of the episodes, the animation as ever is fantastic, episodes seem shorter so the stories can be a little slight but worthwhile.

14 hours ago, lolly said:

Watched 6 of the 8 episodes of season 2 of Love , Death & Robots. Lot  less T+A in general  and a bit more twilight zone with some of the episodes, the animation as ever is fantastic, episodes seem shorter so the stories can be a little slight but worthwhile.

Snow in the Desert floored me in terms of its animation. 

I mean, how?

Watched The Woman In The Window last night.

Ponderous, boring, doesn't earn the gasps it seems to want its reveals to get. Did like the set design though and there are some nice shots in there. Muh.

49 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Snow in the Desert floored me in terms of its animation. 

I mean, how?

There were times during that where I genuinely couldn't tell if it was real actors or CGI

Wee bit of background on that one from the author...

https://www.nealasher.co.uk/snow-in-the-desert-on-netflix/

https://theskinner.blogspot.com/2011/08/heavy-metal.html

Was originally meant to be part of a new Heavy Metal movie by David Fincher, Tim Miller & Kevin Eastman