Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

23 minutes ago, Benny said:

And when you've watched that:

Avatar: The Last Airbender. The best cartoon series ever made.

Not on the same level, but I found much fun to be had with Voltron too!

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure is king

I watched a couple of eps of the Diamond series on Crunchyroll, but found it to be a bit overly obsessed with people being raped!

So I’ve gone back to Cowboy Bebop instead for now.

20 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I watched a couple of eps of the Diamond series on Crunchyroll, but found it to be a bit overly obsessed with people being raped!

So I’ve gone back to Cowboy Bebop instead for now.

The very first couple of episodes of Diamond feel completely different in tone from the rest, so I'd say don't let that put you off.

Spoiler

From what I remember, I was initially a little wary too, but after the first intro it felt like the tone of those episodes was actually trying to send up aspects of other kinds of almost obsessively grim anime shows, because it essentially flips all of it off in the ensuing wrap up.

Just now, ZOK said:

Ah okay, I’ll give it another chance then! It did seem very weird having just come off Stardust Crusaders.

Stardust is 100% my favourite, but there are episodes in Diamond that as a Stardust fan are the best I've watched. And some really excellent whimsy

I do remember the intro you mean though, I think either they were working with an idea that just came off so bad for JoJo they just dropped it, or it was intentional tonal misdirection to poke fun at other shows like that.

Has anyone seen this trailer?  It looks cool.  But so did the Transformers show... :(

Anyway, I think I'm gonna introduce my kids to this.

Just started watching the new animated series adaptation added called Trese. Seems very good and a bit different as I guess it's based on Filipino folklore.

Animation gets a bit ropey towards the end, but that was a fun Saturday morning diversion. The best thing in the series was actually

Spoiler

A subtle visual joke about an old Nokia phone being indestructible :lol:

There’s a brilliant documentary called Halston on Amazon Prime at the moment, it’s worth two hours of anyone’s time but will be particularly of interest to anyone who watched the superb Ryan Murphy Halston mini series on Netflix.   

I've also been enjoying The Great Pretender recently, though so far the idea anyone would fall for the "scams" depicted is a bit of a stretch.

On 11/06/2021 at 13:13, Monkeyboy said:

I've been binging Castlevania (halfway through season 3) and enjoying it. Any other anime TV shows on Netflix worth watching?

Evangelion!

• 2 weeks later...

Tenet appears to be on Netflix Australia ,  hopefully I a) understand what's going on and b) enjoy it - missus is  supposed to be away next weekend so I might get to sit down and watch it in peace.