IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Has a deal been done to keep BBC stuff? I see a whole bunch of stuff went up yesterday. They'd hardly do that if it's just about to go, would they?

Seems like it.

I'm pleased that never panned out as per the rumour especially as the new BBC content includes The League of Gentlemen (although only series 1 and 3, which is weird and annoying), Psychoville, and the first two series of Inside Number Nine...

15 hours ago, The Disco said:

Trailer Park Boys series 11 is up.  Can't vouch for the quality.  The Europe trip they released late last year was pretty shit, sadly.

The Europe thing was absolute garbage. I've watched the first episode of series 11 and didn't have many laughs, however my daughter was making a racket in the other room so I found it hard to concentrate. 

1 hour ago, Flams said:

The Europe thing was absolute garbage. I've watched the first episode of series 11 and didn't have many laughs, however my daughter was making a racket in the other room so I found it hard to concentrate. 

Yeah, it's hard to relax when they are working so hard...

IMG_0514.thumb.JPG.384a7ab26a0b2d9e5e910f5a4b7d90cc.JPG

The Louis CK special is a weird one. You could tell as soon as he stepped on stage in a suit and tie.

For the most part, it was as if he was debuting a new character called 'Coked up Divorcee'. But then you got the last 20 mins, which was excellent and left me wondering how confessional it was.

I'll certainly remember it more than his last one or two.

On 03/04/2017 at 09:59, Professor Rob said:

13 Reasons Why is well worth a watch. 

This was recommended to me by my 13 year old daughter by saying "  it's produced by Selina Gomez " I nearly pissed myself at that statement , did some reading up on it and decided to watch the first to see if it was actually suitable for her and have to say it's fucking incredible but in 2 minds whether to let her watch anymore as she's only seen the first 3 episodes and after that it gets very very depresing and theres a coupleof scenes that are pretty disturbing .

It gets darker as it goes on, because every episode chronicles a little bit more of her descent into despair and isolation. There's some content that might be considered inappropriate for a 13 year old, but obviously you know your own daughter. There are warnings before certain episodes.

Spoiler

The suicide scene is quite graphic and harrowing to watch, and the rape scene, while not graphic, is equally harrowing. They're sensitively done, but leave you in no doubt as to physical and emotional pain being inflicted.

Louiss been wearing a suit for a few years now. He was wearing one last year when i saw him at Edinburgh festival.

I watched both chapellle specials, age of Spin is good, but neither is a classic. I didn't notice any homophobic material, but definitely some transphobic material they he's taken some stick for. Personally i just found the jokes weak, and thought it was a bit of a point he was trying to make about comedy and free speech.

On 7 April 2017 at 07:44, Mentazm said:

The chapellle specials aren't very good.

They do feel weaker than his early stuff; sort of oddly self indulgent, too, with the way he stops after each joke and does a little "doubled over, silently laughing' bit to milk it as long as possible. 

The difference with Louis CK, I think, is that he knows he has that status, but rather than exploit it for blander material he plays on it. That's not to say he always succeeds, and there were a couple of lazy bits for him, too, but he obviously puts thought into his act whereas Chapelle often felt like he was shooting the breeze with a couple of mates. 

On 07/04/2017 at 14:54, schmojo said:

The Louis CK special is a weird one. You could tell as soon as he stepped on stage in a suit and tie.

For the most part, it was as if he was debuting a new character called 'Coked up Divorcee'. But then you got the last 20 mins, which was excellent and left me wondering how confessional it was.

I'll certainly remember it more than his last one or two.

Do you mean the Magic Mike bit? I thought that was easily the best part. He does seem to talk about homosexuality in a lot of his stuff.

I thought it was his weakest special taken as a whole.

So is this Mystery Science Theatre thing any good? It's one of those shows I always hear getting referenced in other media, but I guess it never really had a big following over here. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention? The image they use on the Netflix page has Felicia Day quite prominent, so haven't tried it yet as I find her to be an incredibly annoying screen presence. Is she in it a lot?

Oh, and I actually watched Divergent last night and quit enjoyed it. So that's kind of a recommendation......don't judge. :(

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

So is this Mystery Science Theatre thing any good? It's one of those shows I always hear getting referenced in other media, but I guess it never really had a big following over here. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention? The image they use on the Netflix page has Felicia Day quite prominent, so haven't tried it yet as I find her to be an incredibly annoying screen presence. Is she in it a lot?

Oh, and I actually watched Divergent last night and quit enjoyed it. So that's kind of a recommendation......don't judge. :(

I've not seen many, but I enjoyed them. Do they have the 'Manos - Hands of Fate' or 'Eegah' episodes? I enjoyed both of those. 

On 15/03/2017 at 12:49, mdn2 said:

The Nice Guys has been added to Netflix. If you haven't seen it already: shame on you. It's fucking brilliant. 

Thanks for the recommendation (and to the others that agreed).

Would have totally skipped this otherwise, but just watched it tonight and loved it ^_^

Well I wouldn't expect them to create a stand-up show that they perform only once, for Netflix. :mellow:

Other standups I've seen have had different tags on jokes, or insert new ones, between touring the show and recording the special at the end of the run. Think LCK perhaps does too much and the day job suffers as a result.

The Magnificent Seven (2016) will be added this Sunday 23rd.

I watched it last year, it's ok for a western not as good as Tombstone or 3:10 to Yuma but then I expect very few westerns to reach those high standards. It's a 3/5 watch it if you enjoy the genre.

On 4/16/2017 at 09:14, Gambit said:

I find that it is variable in quality but there are a few amazing gags. There are places where they sit and say nothing for a minute or two and at that point you realise you're just watching a shit film.

The other thing I naively wasn't prepared for is that each episode is about 90 minutes.Not really knowing much about it, I was sort of expecting 30 minute episodes featuring a digest of the film. So it shows commitment I suppose.