Netflix

Marlowe

To further whet your appetite for Real Detective, episode three revolves around circus trash murders. Bearded ladies, the works. The next one has Michael Madsen playing a hard boiled Texas ranger wearing a 10-gallon hat and looking like he's been dredged out of a sewer. 10/10.

14 hours ago, Meh said:

Is it back to normal yet? :(

Still looks as terrible as ever. Bit rates literally half what they used to be. They’re keeping the resolutions up though, presumably so they can continue charging people for “4K”. 

Part of me thinks this will never go back to what it was before and this will just become the new normal. 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Still looks as terrible as ever. Bit rates literally half what they used to be. They’re keeping the resolutions up though, presumably so they can continue charging people for “4K”. 

Part of me thinks this will never go back to what it was before and this will just become the new normal. 

Yep. I'm starting to think the lack of communication over the whole thing basically means them saying, "well, people really will accept any old shit."

Saves me money, and it's just a little bit more effort. Cheers, Netflix!

I don't often venture into this thread but after looking at the last few pages my netflix list has suddenly grown and I'm quite excited for when the little one's gone down tonight. 

So for those that post, appreciated! :)

1 hour ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Midnight Run. How did I never see this before?

I think the heroic amount of deNiro swearing kept it off tv a lot, despite it being basically a buddy comedy.

On 05/05/2020 at 23:47, Festoon said:

I think the heroic amount of deNiro swearing kept it off tv a lot, despite it being basically a buddy comedy.

The TV edit with alternative dubbing for swears was wonderful. Denis Farina uttering "I'll stab you through the heart with a [BROKEN] pencil..." was a highlight.

On 05/05/2020 at 14:58, cassidy said:

New Jerry Seinfeld stand up has arrived today. 

Thanks! It’s classic Jerry, to the point where I can’t tell the new material from the old... and I mean that in the kindest way possible. :lol:

Has anyone mentioned Unorthodox yet? Really enjoyed this. Limited series about a Hasidic Jewish woman from New York who runs away to Berlin. 

Fascinating insight into that world and, as they point out in the very interesting ‘making of’, its like a period drama at times. 

Some of the minor characters are a bit ropey but the main actors do a great job. Half of it is in Yiddish!

45 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Has anyone mentioned Unorthodox yet? Really enjoyed this. Limited series about a Hasidic Jewish woman from New York who runs away to Berlin. 

Fascinating insight into that world and, as they point out in the very interesting ‘making of’, its like a period drama at times. 

Some of the minor characters are a bit ropey but the main actors do a great job. Half of it is in Yiddish!

On 19/04/2020 at 13:12, ZOK said:

There’s a decent, short drama series on Netflix called Unorthodox, about a Hasidic Jewish woman who escapes the ultra conservative Williamsburg community to move to Berlin. The New York bits seem better acted than the German bits, but it’s all good really.

Watching that throws up the suggestion of a documentary called One Of Us, about three Hasidic Jews who ‘escape’ said community, also decent.

Check out the documentary I mentioned if you haven’t already, it’s much bleaker in tone but also more hopeful in a way. 

I’ve had no compelling reason to go back to Unorthodox after a couple of episodes. I feel like I’ve already seen it somewhere. The lead is really great, but the gang of friends in Berlin are diabolical actors which is deeply off putting. There’s an interesting story there somewhere, but the cultural observations and tin-eared dialogue don’t help it at all. I think having an even cursory understanding of Orthodox Judaism removes a lot of the interest. 

Reading that back it sounds quite harsh actually, it’s fine but predictable.

Really? I’ve got way more than a cursory understanding of Orthodox Judaism, and I found it fascinating, primarily for the cultural observations.

I can’t argue that it’s not predictable, because these sort of stories generally are, but it’s certainly not ploughing an overworn furrow.

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

Really? I’ve got way more than a cursory understanding of Orthodox Judaism, and I found it fascinating, primarily for the cultural observations.

I can’t argue that it’s not predictable, because these sort of stories generally are, but it’s certainly not ploughing an overworn furrow.

Yeah sorry that sounded really snobby on reflection. I think the ham sandwich bit was a tad on the nose and it annoyed me a bit.

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Yeah sorry that sounded really snobby on reflection. I think the ham sandwich bit was a tad on the nose and it annoyed me a bit.

It was a croissant ...

I haven't  even a cursory knowledge of Orthodox Judaism so found it interesting , went on to watch the documentary  ZOK mentions which  gave an idea of how much dramatic license they took,  still didn't take away from Orthodox for me  though.

Subsequently  watching Shtisel which is not bad.Seeing a younger , and even smaller, Shira Haas was a bit weird.

40 minutes ago, pledge said:

No mention yet of The Eddy? Only just started it but I'm hoping it is like a version of Treme set in Paris. Damien Chazelle directed the first two episodes.

Gritter and grimier.

"Extraction" was pretty good, enjoyable easy to follow, some great action set pieces and some faux one take stuff, which means the action editing has to be almost spot on, not like that Paul Greengrass shit in the Bourne films.

Only downside was the audio on the dialogue, especially in the mid section. It was muffled and mumble-y 

Need to find out what screen protectors they used for their phones.

The Victims' Game is pretty good, Taiwanese cop show about a forensic investigator who has asperger's that's sort of like a very slightly higher class CSI. 

Total formula murder mystery cop show which is kind of gruesome at points, but it's well done and sometimes that's what you want. 

Two documentaries that a friend of mine recommended that didn't come up on my feed (even though right up my street)

30 feet from Stardom one the best oscar doc a while back. It's quite good.

Won't you be my neighbour is the Fred Rogers documentary from 2018 which I suppose inspired the Tom Hanks film from last year. Not seen the film, but the doc was one of the best I've seen in a long time and I found it profoundly moving.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Two documentaries that a friend of mine recommended that didn't come up on my feed (even though right up my street)

30 feet from Stardom one the best oscar doc a while back. It's quite good.

Won't you be my neighbour is the Fred Rogers documentary from 2018 which I suppose inspired the Tom Hanks film from last year. Not seen the film, but the doc was one of the best I've seen in a long time and I found it profoundly moving.

Thanks. I will give that Fred Roger's doc a try; really enjoyed the film.