IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

It's gotten some bad reviews but I thought Ju-on Origins was alright as a bit of J-horror.

On the bad side, it doesn't wrap up well. I didn't know how many episodes there were and didn't even realise that I'd watched the last one such is it's storytelling. I'm not sure if it's deliberately confusing or just badly done.

I'm also not sure they made that much effort convincing is that this was set on 80s/90s Japan apart from the big TVs and lack of mobiles.

But it's got all your usual Japanese horror tropes which I enjoy and it's short, so there you go.

1 hour ago, Professor Puzzles said:

I'm a few episodes into Dark. Looks like this show is going places! Yes I know I'm late to the party. 

I've only seen season one myself, but loved it.

This image might help you with all the different people and timelines, its a character relationship tree, showing all the actors. 

Doesn't have spoilers but will put the link in one to prevent it auto showing if anyone hovers over the link:

Spoiler

i063yx8ymy501.jpg

Hope it helps :)

I think I posted about this earlier in this thread.  I enjoyed the first season of Dark, and the second, but I must admit that I was getting a bit lost during the second season, and forgetting who was related to who, etc.  So I didn't just jump into season three as I wasn't sure where I was up to.

Anyway, I decided to start rewatching it from the start last week, this time using some charts (like the one above) to help me keep track.  Well, I just finished season 1 rewatch yesterday and watched s02 e01, and I think I'm now obsessed with the show.

It's really something special.  Although I was enjoying it, I was watching it in that sort of half hearted way - sometimes browsing twitter on my phone etc. - that suits a lot of Netflix shows, because they're not always very demanding.  Well, it's not one of those shows.  The writing is (appropriately) like clockwork, intricate and precise, and every scene, every event, matters, so if you are just getting into it, watch it properly, with your full attention.  It's worth it.

So, in the spirit of the show itself, I've currently seen season 1 twice, season 2 once and season 3 zero times.  I'm told it all ramps up a bit fair bit more in season 3.  Can't wait.

I've been watching with the english dub.  I'm already planning a third re-watch in german with subtitles once I get to the end.

We started Dark but my (Chinese) spouse struggles with the German audio and English   subtitles and I really railed against the English dub so we gave up. Hard to ignore this good word of mouth though! I may compromise... I really hate dubs though!

Any love for Dirk Gently? It’s weird! And funny. The kind of show that answers questions with more questions. Weird in a way that reminds me of Preacher. Plus Elijah Wood! And I had no idea it was based on a Douglas Adams novel - once you’re told that it’s so obvious though. Definitely recommended. 

36 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

We loved Dirk Gently. It's a real shame it got canned after the second series. 

Oh, that’s so disappointing to hear. I assume the story is left unresolved? It sounds like, from what you said, the cancellation didn’t permit the story to be wound down in time?

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

Oh, that’s so disappointing to hear. I assume the story is left unresolved? It sounds like, from what you said, the cancellation didn’t permit the story to be wound down in time?

Both series have their own individual stories and they get completed. There's some character arcs left unresolved. But I just wanted more of the madness.

If you've never watched The Umbrella Academy, give that a go afterwards. It's got a bit of that same craziness the Dirk Gently had. It's not quite as bizzare as Gently gets, but it has its moments. 

I just finished season 1 of Dark as well. Enjoyed it, even if it was completely mopey and full of people not talking to each other. The number of sequences of all the characters standing alone being emo in the rain to music verged on parody. But I’m a sucker for this genre.

20 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I just finished season 1 of Dark as well. Enjoyed it, even if it was completely mopey and full of people not talking to each other. The number of sequences of all the characters standing alone being emo in the rain to music verged on parody. But I’m a sucker for this genre.

On second watch you realise that those sequences have the effect of reinforcing in your mind some of the connections and relationships between people that aren't immediately obvious.

Really enjoyed all of Last Chance U, when it broadens out away from the game it really captures a piece of mid-west America that is fascinating to me. Any fan of any of the Netflix sports docs will like it, and the less you know about American Football the better really. It does not paint a pretty picture either, seems a backwards to go about sport and education and it's quite upsetting seeing the injuries they get.

My wife decided that she now likes sporting documentaries, which is great as I’ve been rewatching some of my faves with her. I’ve never seen Last Chance U, but thought it would be good for us to watch together as we both loved Friday Night Lights, but Netflix only seem to have a couple of the later seasons on there. Are these still good, and worth checking out? Or can anyone recommend something similar?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Really enjoyed all of Last Chance U, when it broadens out away from the game it really captures a piece of mid-west America that is fascinating to me. Any fan of any of the Netflix sports docs will like it, and the less you know about American Football the better really. It does not paint a pretty picture either, seems a backwards to go about sport and education and it's quite upsetting seeing the injuries they get.

Lol, didn’t see this when I posted.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Does it matter which one you watch first out of Indy and emcc?

Am I missing something or is there only options for closed captioned English subtitles on certain titles?

Started watching Caliphate last night and the [indistinct chatter] and [foreboding music] every 5 minutes pretty much ruins it for me. 

Obviously they should have CC options but standard subs should be in there too. 

Yeah, CC subs seem to be standard across all the major streaming services and even a lot of the Blu-rays I own. Basically if something is already in English then the subs are likely to be CC, and that’s becoming the case for foreign language stuff too. 

My son prefers to watch stuff with subtitles on and we’ve just got used to it now. 

Around the World with Zac Efron.

Against all my expectations I really enjoyed this. Beautiful locations, good chemistry between Zac and his mate, gently educational, some great looking food and comically obvious product placement, which me and my girlfriend enjoyed calling out every time we saw it.

It even had a shock ending! 

On 23/07/2020 at 08:51, KartoffelKopf said:

Fear City is up and is pretty great so far. Stories of the New York mafia in the 70s recounted by hilariously stereotypical old timer New York gangsters all with a disco soundtrack.

Peak ‘Boyger Joint!’ accents. Love how the word ‘wiseguy’ is used every 30 seconds.

Yes I've seen 2 out of the 3 episodes of Fear City and it is a slickly presented story of a routinely boring operation listening to thousands of hours of audio and planting the mics in the first place. The footage of New York in the 70s and 80s is unbelievably bleak, though.

1 hour ago, EUkdazs said:

Around the World with Zac Efron.

Against all my expectations I really enjoyed this. Beautiful locations, good chemistry between Zac and his mate, gently educational, some great looking food and comically obvious product placement, which me and my girlfriend enjoyed calling out every time we saw it.

It even had a shock ending! 

we managed 1 episode and thought it was dire.

Zac had clearly pulled rank and told whoever was funding the thing that if they wanted him then his boorish wooden dull health guru mate had to be allowed to come along. 

Sure the scenery was pretty, and I can't help but think I'd like the locations and themes a lot more if they weren't presented by idiot Zac and his dull mate.

Not seen anybody mention Netflix's latest attempt at a GoT fantasy show, Cursed. It's a very loose take via Frank Miller of Arthurian legend and back story. They try to make the guff script and fairy talk stand up by casting lots of English actors, and have the bloke who plays Floki in Vikings doing a mad turn as the wizard Merlin.

It's nothing great but is a solid 6/10 kind of show and with new TV drying up in a lockdown we're quite enjoying it

Bit harsh, @Gotters. To be fair, the first episode isn't the best, Sardinia or Costa Rica were my favourites. Zac comes across really well (albeit he produced the show, so you'd expect nothing less.)

Anyway, off to RCVA in my Jeep to buy a shirt with my Visa card.

On 23/07/2020 at 08:51, KartoffelKopf said:

Fear City is up and is pretty great so far. Stories of the New York mafia in the 70s recounted by hilariously stereotypical old timer New York gangsters all with a disco soundtrack.

It's good, though very by the numbers and makes the FBI look like they had it all planned out. One of the first key guys is, I think, Lefty from Joseph Pistone's "Donnie Brasco", which is an excellent read.

Jonny Vets is a walking talking cliche :lol:

Edit: "Lefty" Ruggiero was Benjamin, the guy in this was Angelo. I dont think they were related and they operated for different Families (Lefty was Bonanno, Angelo was Gambino)