IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Even though they are quite different films, I think Peanut Butter Falcon makes a great companion piece to Hunt for the Wilder People.

Very similar emotional tempo.

Agreed - with this, Honey Boy and, more laterally, Borg/McEnroe, Shia LeBouf is having his own McConnaissance right now. Some really good stuff. 

Finished Fear City.

Hmm... is it possible to say that I recommend it despite it being a little bit... thin?  They throw every trick in the book to make it seem like a compelling thriller and go out of their way to make you think of The Wire but the ultimate problem is that the actual story - no matter how real life - isn't compelling enough for reasons that I'll stick in the spoilers.

Spoiler

It's completely straightforward.  We bugged this guy, which led us to that guy, which led us to the other guys, and we arrested them and got a unanimous conviction.  I know that this is real life - and jailing the heads of the Mafia is a great outcome in real life - but there wasn't much in the way of twists and turns.

We also never got a proper handle on what it was like on the other side.  The two main gangsters were interesting guys but we didn't go too far into their own stories, instead going for recreations of people listening to conversations.  The central concrete conspiracy wasn't explained in depth, just "they're in control and skimming millions".  The hit on the boss from five years earlier was "hey, we think it's this guy... and it is!".  I'm not saying that it didn't work, just that it didn't feel dramatic.

At three episodes, it didn't outstay its welcome or drag.  An "aftermath" episode would have been good.  You can see how Rudy Guiliani had the political career he did, he's incredibly charismatic.  (My wife concurs, she met him once and has an amusing anecdote about the encounter.)  I just wanted a bit more meat on the bones as it were.

That's exactly how I felt about Fear City. The trailer got me very excited but then it was just a very straightforward and much-repeated story. Good to see Trump make an appearance/get a mention again as he does in the superior (albeit deeply disturbing) Epstein documentary series. That's some company he keeps...  

This is one of the very, very few times that I'll defend Trump but I thought that the producers trying to single him out was jarringly unfair and clearly there to provoke the viewer/build some hype.  There is no way that anybody in New York got anything built at that time without the Mob being involved.  It was just the way it was.  How much he knew about it is, of course, open to interpretation but you could say that of every single property developer in the city at that time.

That's fair but I don't think they overdid it. Basically made the point that as you say any real estate built at the time in New York probably had mob involvement and then highlighted the fact that Trump built his tower during this period.

I started watching The Sinner (although I started on Season 3 by some mistake)

It's alright but Bill Pullman is fucking dreadful. I have seen him in a few things over ye last decade and his style is just...off. 

3 episodes into High Score, really enjoyable. There's not much I didn't know already facts wise (except the Gayblade thing, I want to play that lol) but the individual stories are well made and have a lot of heart.

13 hours ago, Ry said:

I started watching The Sinner (although I started on Season 3 by some mistake)

It's alright but Bill Pullman is fucking dreadful. I have seen him in a few things over ye last decade and his style is just...off. 

Season 1 is great, 2 is poor and I haven't watched 3 yet. Pullman is a bit of a marmite actor. He pulls it off in Season 1 but his character is dreadful in S2 and I hear even worse in S3. 

Danger Close is decent. Ragnar Lothbrok leads a company of Aussies in Vietnam who have to survive wave after wave of attack. Don't expect Platoon, Gallipoli or Zulu, it's more like gears of war horde mode, just ground level battling with no analysis of the war at all, but good explosions and well directed action considering it can't have had a huge budget as an Australian film. 

It's probably a bit jingoistic but the Americans have done that forever. 

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens is only 16 minutes long but is a lovely watch. 

What a great guy with great taste in music that he tried to tempt aliens to contact Earth with. 

But it's not even about that. Just watch it, you will probably like it.

And it looks and sounds gorgeous

Anyone watched The Speed Cubers? 40 minute doc about  the Rubik's Cube world championships and the relationship between the two best in the world. It's really good and very touching, not to mention jaw dropping at how fast they can do the Rubik's cube.

7 hours ago, APM said:

Anyone watched The Speed Cubers? 40 minute doc about  the Rubik's Cube world championships and the relationship between the two best in the world. It's really good and very touching, not to mention jaw dropping at how fast they can do the Rubik's cube.

Yeah a wonder short and lovely documentary, I did post about it a while back (think end of July ish) so would have been lost in pages ago :)

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I really enjoyed this and it ended on a cliffhanger. COVID is cited as the reason but I'm sure they'll find a way to make their other stuff work.

I gave up on it about half way through, it was incredibly smug and absolutely nothing happened. 

3 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I really enjoyed this and it ended on a cliffhanger. COVID is cited as the reason but I'm sure they'll find a way to make their other stuff work.

The Society, which originally got confirmed as having a second season, has also been cancelled because of COVID.

That's a shame. I enjoyed it too. 

I also really enjoyed Instant Hotel. Well, I enjoyed the first series. For some reason the second series feels totally different. They replaced the lovely, bland, friendly presenter with Laurence Llywellyn Bowen. (null)

Speed Cubers is an absolute gem @APMWho'd have thought a short documentary about rubix cubes could be so moving! 

On 23/08/2020 at 21:20, multi said:

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens is only 16 minutes long but is a lovely watch. 

What a great guy with great taste in music that he tried to tempt aliens to contact Earth with. 

But it's not even about that. Just watch it, you will probably like it.

And it looks and sounds gorgeous

Do this, everyone! It's such a lovely little film. Let Netflix know we want more of this!