IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

I never realised there was a third series of Count Arthur Strong.  Steve Delaney spent his whole life working on that character and I believe 'The Day the Clocks Went Back' and 'Arthur the Hat' to be two of the funniest half hours of TV ever written. I've not been a fan of his other stuff, it all seemed a bit one-joke, but taking Delaney's character and giving him a co-writer, toning down certain elements and writing a sit-com around him was a masterstroke.  Every episode is brilliant and I can't recommend it enough.  

Watched Fear Street 1978. Not a patch on the first; very, very slow startup and then none of the great characters or plotting or figuring things out that I enjoyed from 1994.

Holding out for a save with Part 3, but not hugely hopeful. A shame, Part 1 was excellent fun. 

I watched Blood Red Sky earlier. It was actually not bad! Could have been a bit tighter though maybe. Despite the 18 certificate it's also surprisingly restrained. Could probably have done with actually upping the gore factor a little and I very rarely say that as I'm not particularly a big fan of it. Try and watch it without reading the synopsis if you can too. Netflix doing their usual thing of not leaving anything as a surprise in the text and putting spoilery key shots of a film in the thumbnails is so annoying.

Binged through a documentary series, Afflicted, over the last few days. Follows some chronically ill people suffering from sort of unexplained illnesses. Mould sickness. Electromagnetic sensitivity.

It's interesting because of the journey it takes you through and how your perspective changes on the people. Hits the edges of some hot topics like misinformation and medical cover in the US.

Spoiler

I started off nothing but sympathetic for these people's plight. Stuck with conditions that prevent them really getting out or having anything close to a normal life.

A few episodes in it starts to show family and friends questioning them. It aligned with the moment I too was suspicious of some of them. You also get where some peripheral characters are very paranoid about electric devices and campaigning at some level.

It feeds into the mental side. Is this really physical or does it come from psychological issues. That doesn't make it any less real or course but different.

Finally, I think what you really start to see is the dark way in which the fringes of the medical profession are taking advantage. Bleeding these people of their money for treatments that often see to show little impact.

13 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Watched Fear Street 1978. Not a patch on the first; very, very slow startup and then none of the great characters or plotting or figuring things out that I enjoyed from 1994.

Holding out for a save with Part 3, but not hugely hopeful. A shame, Part 1 was excellent fun. 

Unfortunately for you, Part 3 is the worst.  I liked the first 2, the 3rd was just a crap end to a trilogy.

3 hours ago, Mr Tiddles said:

Anyone here used a VNP? I wanna see some yankee doodle stuff but duno the 1st way to go about it

Nord VPN has been decent for me with this sort of thing. I mainly use it to get CBeebies for the kids but worked recently with US Netflix. 

Watched The Art of Self-Defense earlier - surprised to not see it mentioned much anywhere as it was a darky comic treat. To be honest I mostly guessed where the film would be going in the second half, but it was an enjoyable ride getting there.

On 25/07/2021 at 11:04, Mr Tiddles said:

Anyone here used a VNP? I wanna see some yankee doodle stuff but duno the 1st way to go about it

I use Nord VPN for work and it works a treat for switching regions on desktop or mobile devices. Having to set it at router level to work with smart TVs and consoles is significantly more complex and life is just too short frankly.

16 hours ago, Benny said:

Watched The Art of Self-Defense earlier - surprised to not see it mentioned much anywhere as it was a darky comic treat. To be honest I mostly guessed where the film would be going in the second half, but it was an enjoyable ride getting there.

One of my favourite films of the last 5 years. Pollox Troy(😉) was brilliant in it. His stock is on the rise, looking forward to seeing him in the Sopranos movie and David O Russell's new film which has an absolutely stacked cast:

Christian Bale

Margot Robbie

John David Washington

Rami Malek

Zoe Saldana

Robert De Niro

Mike Myers

Timothy Olyphant

Michael Shannon

Chris Rock

Anya Taylor-Joy

Andrea Riseborough

Matthias Schoenaerts

Alessandro Nivola

Taylor Swift

14 minutes ago, Gotters said:

You could always use your phone with a VPN and then cast from the Netflix app to the tv if its supported - easier than fannying about with a router VPN.

To be honest, the differences between US and UK Netflix are not as big as they used to be. With the priority on their original content that is released Globally and the various platforms owning and releasing their own blockbusters more and more, it's mostly a case of back cat stuff. The sheer volume of content available across all the streaming platforms now I'm never at a loss for something to watch.

However, that is a bloody good idea that I had not considered so may give it a try out of curiosity.

New zombie show, fast smart zombies though. Looks good. It focuses on one character and say you see other people in the background will return to them in another episode. 

Gonna watch first episode tonight. 

edit: oh wait it's not new. 2 years old. ok. well. er anyone seen it? 

28 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

New zombie show, fast smart zombies though. Looks good. It focuses on one character and say you see other people in the background will return to them in another episode. 

There's even a thread...

On 25/07/2021 at 14:54, Kingpin said:

Nord VPN has been decent for me with this sort of thing. I mainly use it to get CBeebies for the kids but worked recently with US Netflix. 

Cheers, and to all replies.  I'd quite like to access some quiz shows and stuff on other US streaming services too. 

I was quite surprised that 1. Netflix US doesn't have Rick and Morty, and 2. Channel 4 R and M is uncut...full F words while Netflix is bleeped.  All the trouble I went to on the high seas previously , and C4 has naughty ones right there. 

7 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Firs season isn’t very impressive, but the second is brilliant. You could even skip the first season if you wanted and go straight to the second, you won’t really miss much. 

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

I had to turn it off about 20 mins into back to the future episode because the new guy was so bad. 

Only found this programme the other day but so far watched and really enjoyed Ghostbusters, Die Hard and Back To The Future.  I've been cherry picking the ones that interested me.  New narrator is a bit annoying but not so much I didn't want to watch.