Netflix

Marlowe

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

Really? Danny Wallace? I thought he was good. 

It wasn't just that for me. The sound mix seemed...off. The narrators voice was too quiet against the film footage.

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

I had to turn it off about 20 mins into back to the future episode because the new guy was so bad. 

Only found this programme the other day but so far watched and really enjoyed Ghostbusters, Die Hard and Back To The Future.  I've been cherry picking the ones that interested me.  New narrator is a bit annoying but not so much I didn't want to watch.

The Back to the Future one is ruined by the Hyper fast editing and voice over. Just tell us the story, we don't need an out of context clip after every sentence! (Cuts to Marty saying "this is heavy")

How have I missed Atypical all these years? Funny, charming and I’m learning so much about autism. Really brilliant, I can’t recommend it enough. 

God damn I am loving GitS:SAC_2045! Okay, it may have an animation style that looks like those old Korean comedy news clips crossed with that old PS2 game XIII, and will almost certainly make you weep for what could have been, but there is no doubt whatsoever it positively reeks of Ghost in the Shell, and as such it’s brilliant.

22 hours ago, yashiro said:

Yeah but you still have to look at it.

I’ve made my peace with it. Once you stop agonising over how crappy it is, it’s really quite endearing.

And the Tachikomas look great.

11 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Fantastic Fungi is a fantastic doc on well, it’s obvious innit. 

I watched it last night and regretted my lack of on hand psilocybin. 

Good doc though. 

5 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Fantastic Fungi is a fantastic doc on well, it’s obvious innit. 

I was watching Evangelion Death and this came up as a suggestion afterwards so I gave it a whirl, it is fantastic! Only watched half of it but it’s lovely.

On 03/08/2021 at 18:24, ZOK said:

God damn I am loving GitS:SAC_2045! Okay, it may have an animation style that looks like those old Korean comedy news clips crossed with that old PS2 game XIII, and will almost certainly make you weep for what could have been, but there is no doubt whatsoever it positively reeks of Ghost in the Shell, and as such it’s brilliant.

I’m gutted this finished and currently no season 2. It’s ‘coming’ apparently, either this year or next, but in further bad news it’s being directed by the guy who did the terrible Appleseed movie.

The Outer Banks 

We started watching the second series of this particularly dumb treasure hunt\ soap\ drama. It's trashy and awful in so many ways but the setting is nice and there is something amusing about the way the characters both have the best of luck and the worst of luck, but always the dumbest of intelligence, depending on what the plot needs. 

It's a show very guilty of trying to force high drama at every turn and then struggles to find sensible ways out of the pitfalls the characters find themselves in. 

Acting and script are also terrible. 

I'm still watching it for some reason though. 

Over the past 10 days or so I've watched Rurouni Kenshin 1, 2, 3 and The Final.

Some crazy good action scenes and characters that look like they've stepped right out gaming. Just have The Beginning to get through now and thats the lot done. Quite lengthy at 2hrs+ each but it flies by.

Recommended/10

8 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Over the past 10 days or so I've watched Rurouni Kenshin 1, 2, 3 and The Final.

Some crazy good action scenes and characters that look like they've stepped right out gaming. Just have The Beginning to get through now and thats the lot done. Quite lengthy at 2hrs+ each but it flies by.

Recommended/10

I have these on my watch list is that the watching order? I was unsure if The beginning was a prequel?

Hmmm thats a tricky one, the sequence of 1-2-3 Final did work...

Number 1 is the first in the main story, gives a bit of background insight into the characters and is more of an introduction. Numbers 2 and 3 are part of the same story and flesh things out a bit more with the characters and the backstory. The Final really gives a deep dive into some elements of the characters history and their actions.

Watching 1-2-3-Final worked for me because by the time the Final was over you understand a lot more about some of the choices and decisions. Its a bit like Star Wars, you could watch them in number order but watching 4-5-6 first then 1-2-3 still makes sense on the overall storyline. I quite like the style of watching the event then getting more backstory on it, makes you think more about the films that came before and things start piecing nicely together. So watching the Beginning at the end of it all should hopefully make perfect sense.

Gonna try and watch The Beginning midweek, will amend my timeline with it in then.

Am guessing a few people here have netflix premium, the 4K + HDR version of the service.  Amazon Prime and Disney+ stuff looks really good on my screen when it is 4K/ HDR so I'm trying to find out if its worth paying the extra to get this on Netflix too.  Anyone got an opinion on that, in particular:

• How much content on Netflix is 4K + HDR enabled?
  • Is it decently implemented

Don’t know how much Netflix stuff is HDR, but most new stuff seems to be. It always looks good to me, but I only ever watch HDR streamed (Prime, iPlayer) so I’ve nothing else to compare it to.

4 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Gonna try and watch The Beginning midweek, will amend my timeline with it in then.

Thanks, update after you have watched. Did you go dub or sub?

4 hours ago, gospvg said:

I went sub, the dubbed voices were quite funny and it sounded off.

Also they had that weird set up where the dub and the subtitles don't match exactly so you just get confused.

Watched the first two Fear Street films over the weekend. Not sure what I was expecting but it's so confusing tonally. Looks like they used the same casting agency as Stranger Things (and even has at least one of the same actors) with loads of similar framings of nostalgic throwbacks to the eras (obviously slightly different eras but similar in style and presentation) and then BLAMMO! some 13 year old kid gets an axe to the head, on screen, repeatedly!

Entertaining enough though, and I'll watch the concluding chapter, although reading back in the thread it's by far the weakest I need the closure!

Oh man, the new sports doc series Untold is up now, the first one Malice at the Palace, about a bit of a riot at a basketball game is all kinds of amazing. It's something I'd never ever heard of but it's utterly essential viewing.

I hope the rest of them are as good as this.

Netflix do sports docs so, so well. Absolutely fantastic story this.

Yes, I'm not into basketball but that was fantastic. Why anyone normal would square up to a pumped up, near 7ft tall, 250lb+ athlete with arms like a heavyweight boxer is quite baffling. 

Spoiler

It's lucky that guy slipped.... that could have resulted in a fatal outcome

I really enjoyed it. 

22 hours ago, multi said:

Oh man, the new sports doc series Untold is up now, the first one Malice at the Palace, about a bit of a riot at a basketball game is all kinds of amazing. It's something I'd never ever heard of but it's utterly essential viewing.

I hope the rest of them are as good as this.

Netflix do sports docs so, so well. Absolutely fantastic story this.

Just watched it, wholeheartedly agree.  Never knew this happened either.

On 09/08/2021 at 12:16, gospvg said:

Watched The Beginning this evening so that’s all 5 films done… one of the best film series I’ve seen.

Regarding the order I think there are three different routes through this:

option a

this is the order in which the films were released with a big explanation of the origin right at the end of the series:

number 1

number 2

number 3

the final

the beginning

option b

This is the true order of the stories as told in the films in timeline order:

the beginning

number 1

number 2

number 3

the final

option c

This is an alternative to option a where the main storyline is done (1 through 3) then when it comes to the origin and ending story it takes it in chronological order:

number 1

number 2

number 3

the beginning

the final

Option a is the order I watched it in and personally gives the best pay off for the story, you see events first then the history and lead up to them after, so middle - end - beginning. I quite like that style where lots of other events are explained and you get that ‘ahhh yeh ok’ moment.

Option b would also work as the story is told in complete chronological order. This is the most linear approach through it all however the order of the way the stories are told in the final and the beginning may skew things a bit. The most common start - middle - end telling of the story.

Option c is like the flip of the option a, the story sequence is middle - start - end.you get a big payoff as the final film in the story is viewed last.

So really I suppose what I’m trying to say is that whichever of the three options are followed it isn’t the wrong or right way to watch it.

Just make sure that you do!