Netflix

Marlowe

On 01/10/2021 at 21:22, neoELITE said:

I really hate Seinfeld. It makes my flesh crawl.

I guess I can understand that in the same way I can’t really watch Friends - even though I do find it funny in places.   Out of curiosity what are your thoughts on Friends?  And Curb?  
I’m not trying to convert you, just interested in how taste works really. 

And to tag on to the previous post, what are Seinfeld haters' thoughts on Always Sunny?

Always Sunny feels like a continuation of the Seinfeld model of a crew of main characters who are all irredeemably awful, except it drops the Seinfeld pretence that they appear to be maybe likable to begin with, before you twig that they're awful. In Always Sunny there's not even a surface niceness to any of them.

1 hour ago, Dr Nookie said:

I guess I can understand that in the same way I can’t really watch Friends - even though I do find it funny in places.   Out of curiosity what are your thoughts on Friends?  And Curb?  
I’m not trying to convert you, just interested in how taste works really. 

I can't stomach Friends either and I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

I like absurdity in comedy like The IT Crowd, Father Ted, House of Fools. 

11 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I can't stomach Friends either and I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

I like absurdity in comedy like The IT Crowd, Father Ted, House of Fools. 

I bet you secretly watch Everyone Loves Raymond don’t you 😀

Anyway, Seinfeld is bloody funny so there Mr Grumps…

I think the best joke in the whole of the Seinfeldiverse for me (and that’s out of a choice of like ten million) is when Jerry and Elaine go scuba diving in Boca Raton while visiting his folks and Jerry gets black eyes from the mask. His mom says something like ‘Why did you have to go diving? What’s so good about down there?’ and he replies ‘What’s so good about up here?’

I think you can triangulate the whole ethos of the show from that joke.

54 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

I bet you secretly watch Everyone Loves Raymond don’t you 😀

Anyway, Seinfeld is bloody funny so there Mr Grumps…

I love Everyone Loves Raymond too, they have some great gags. People are snooty about it because of its universal popularity, but much like Friends it’s got top notch writers because it’s so rich.

I mean I don’t go out of my way to watch it, but I’ve seen loads of eps either before or after Frasier on C4 in the morning.

They've ordered a 10 episode follow up to That '70s Show, titled That '90s Show. Unlike ill-fated That '80s Show, this one will be a direct sequel, starring Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp. Their granddaughter, from Eric and Donna, will be joining them for the summer and making friends with other local kids.

Other previous cast have not currently signed on, but some are expected to make guest appearances. I'm guessing, for some reason, Danny Masterson won't be among them.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/that-70s-show-spinoff-that-90s-show-kurtwood-smith-debra-jo-rupp-netflix-1234852870/

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

I just noticed The Lighthouse has popped up on Netflix, for those of us who haven’t seen it.

This is brilliant by the way. I’d give it 5/5 if it wasn’t for the fact Pattinson is channeling one of Ray Winstone’s leftover accents.

MAID 

This is a depressing, but excellent, drama about low wage poverty in America. Lead actor is really great and her mother is played by Andie McDowell, who I normally find wooden, but she's really excellent here as a bipolar artist. 

This does a great job of explaining how difficult it is to get out of breadline poverty and how subtle domestic violence can be.

Edit: Turns out the main actress is McDowell's daughter in real life too. She was good in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood too.

5/5 - Really excellent.

On 06/10/2021 at 10:59, ZOK said:

I love Everyone Loves Raymond too, they have some great gags. People are snooty about it because of its universal popularity, but much like Friends it’s got top notch writers because it’s so rich.

I mean I don’t go out of my way to watch it, but I’ve seen loads of eps either before or after Frasier on C4 in the morning.

Everybody Loves Raymond is a brilliant sitcom, which gets a snooty reaction here in the UK I think because it wasn't shown on Ch4 in the evenings but always as early morning filler, lumping it in with other dross that fills the daytime airwaves.

So many of the performances are pitch perfect, as is the writing of family relationships. It's not far off Frasier levels of quality at its best. 

There’s a perfect 20 minute documentary that’s popped up on Netflix called The Trader - a guy rattles through the Georgian countryside exchanging basically anything for potatoes to take to market.

On 09/10/2021 at 23:41, Festoon said:

MAID 

Lead actor is really great and her mother is played by Andie McDowell, who I normally find wooden, but she's really excellent here as a bipolar artist. 

Fun fact: Andie McDowell is her actual mother IRL. 

On 29/09/2021 at 07:06, NexivRed said:

Midnight Mass. The is really rather good. Really enjoying it. A very good script and really vibrant cast. It’s super the light provoking, for me at least. Anyone else watching?

Just started this and have watched three episodes so far. First two episodes were really, REALLY slow but also very good at building lore and expectations. The cast is what impresses me the most, most of them are doing world class acting and a lot of the characters are very interesting. 

So far this is basically a character driven drama with underlying "something's up" vibes and I've no clue where it's headed yet but I'm very eager to continue watching. 

With Midnight Mass, Maid and Squid Game we've been spoiled by Netflix these past few weeks. Good thing they are keeping the quality up with season 3 of You coming out this week too!

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

Just started this and have watched three episodes so far. First two episodes were really, REALLY slow but also very good at building lore and expectations. The cast is what impresses me the most, most of them are doing world class acting and a lot of the characters are very interesting. 

So far this is basically a character driven drama with underlying "something's up" vibes and I've no clue where it's headed yet but I'm very eager to continue watching. 

I think Netflix used a thumbnail that's a dirty great spoiler on my app and I haven't even watched an episode yet. <_<

Your reminder than the third series The Movies That Made Us is now available. 

The bad news - the American narrator has not returned. 

The good news - the first two episodes are about Halloween and Friday the 13th. Love a bit of behind the scenes action about horror movies!

The utterly bizarre editing style meets James Remars reason for leaving Aliens'.

It's terrible to get a show that covers this great stuff and then to choose that awful, wacky style. 

Such a shame.

I watched the RoboCop episode. 

The actual editing and jokes are fucking dreadful but I still find myself enjoying them because of the subject and learning some new facts. Peter Weller seems to have been a pain in the arse on set. 😆

Kurtwood Smith's reaction to being told that Peter Weller is always in character and should always be referred to as "Robo" was worth making it through the terrible jokes and fast cuts.

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Kurtwood Smith's reaction to being told that Peter Weller is always in character and should always be referred to as "Robo" was worth making it through the terrible jokes and fast cuts.

Kurtwood is brilliant. Weller seemed like a twat on set. 

I stick by my view that Clarence Boddicker is one of the top 5 movie villains ever. Kurtwood just seems to be having a blast and his acting in the film is sublime. Really wish I saw him in bigger films.