IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

8 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Chapelle's not a terf - he's a transphobe. The former is losing its meaning being used as a catch-all. Totally agree on the 'Yikes' though :)

What's the difference. Please explain? Is it men can't be feminists therefore can't be terf's? 

4 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Men can absolutely be feminists, but not all transphobes are using feminism as the reason to hate on trans people.

Yep. This. Terf applies to a specific form of exclusionary feminism through which the trans community are considered to be 'pretending', 'threatening', or 'predators' or a variation on those. All terfs are transphobes but not all transphobes are terfs.

I'm not going to expel much energy defending Chappelle, but I think he writes and delivers his material as a comedian first and lets the human in after. I don't think that's unique of him, it's how all good comics work. As such I don't get up in arms when Jim Jeffries talks about booting dead babies or Bill Burr slagging entitled white women or the jokes about people's genitals in this. There's enough detachment and knowledge of their actions in real life for me to know these aren't terrible people. He's using a topic he knows is controversial to make wider points about what is acceptable in comedy I guess, and he's done that for about 8 hours straight in these specials. Really it's the same trick he was doing in sketches nearly 20 years ago and people go for the bait every time. I saw an article on CNN where they interview a trans comedian who said they would not watch it, but he absolutely does punch down and should be cancelled etc. etc. That's the next special sorted. I bet he can't believe his luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2021 at 14:52, Art Vandelay said:

I'm not going to expel much energy defending Chappelle, but I think he writes and delivers his material as a comedian first and lets the human in after. I don't think that's unique of him, it's how all good comics work. As such I don't get up in arms when Jim Jeffries talks about booting dead babies or Bill Burr slagging entitled white women or the jokes about people's genitals in this. There's enough detachment and knowledge of their actions in real life for me to know these aren't terrible people. He's using a topic he knows is controversial to make wider points about what is acceptable in comedy I guess, and he's done that for about 8 hours straight in these specials. Really it's the same trick he was doing in sketches nearly 20 years ago and people go for the bait every time. I saw an article on CNN where they interview a trans comedian who said they would not watch it, but he absolutely does punch down and should be cancelled etc. etc. That's the next special sorted. I bet he can't believe his luck.

To me he just comes across as a lazy rich man who can punch down without consequence for equally lazy rabble he wouldn't allow near his person or his multimillion dollar property. Hard to find that funny.

That Britney documentary is thin and so, so boring. No access to anyone and the story is just trashy tittle tattle at best. Just embarrassing watching the two journalists pouring through some printed stock imagery fanned out on a desk like they’re trying to find the zodiac killer or something. 

Just binge watched Alice In Borderland. Bleeding fantastic. I tried watching this when it first came out, but gave up after about 10 minutes as I found all the characters very annoying. However, after reading positive comments on here in relation to Squid Game I thought I’d give it another go. So glad I did. More action packed and violent than Squid Game (I think both are excellent in different ways) I was completely hooked and watched them all in three days, something I rarely do these days.

Felt like a mix between Battle Royale and Alex Garland’s The Beach. In other words right up my street. Looking forward to season 2 now.

On 07/11/2021 at 20:58, multi said:

Narcos is back!

Everything is right with the world as long as I have a Narcos episode lined up to watch.

One of the very best things Netflix has put out 

Just watched the

Spoiler

nightclub shootout

in episode 3, set to Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode. :wub:

On 05/11/2021 at 12:26, Gambit said:

Unsurprisingly that Red Notice film is supposed to be utter shite. Anyone tried it?

5/10.

Rock does his thing, Reynolds does his thing, Gal Gadot is honestly not a very good actor, it's entertaining enough I guess. Not worth 200 million dollars at ALL. I'd probably be disappointed if I'd paid money to see it but I mean it's free and it passed the time harmlessly enough (apart from an excruciating cameo by 

Spoiler

Ed Sheeran

Spoiler

(at least it wasn't James Corden)

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

5/10.

Rock does his thing, Reynolds does his thing, Gal Gadot is honestly not a very good actor, it's entertaining enough I guess. Not worth 200 million dollars at ALL. I'd probably be disappointed if I'd paid money to see it but I mean it's free and it passed the time harmlessly enough (apart from an excruciating cameo by 

Hide contents

Ed Sheeran

Hide contents

(at least it wasn't James Corden)

200 MILLION?

Fuck me. Where did that cash go? 

On 11/11/2021 at 13:04, Bazjam said:

Just binge watched Alice In Borderland. Bleeding fantastic. I tried watching this when it first came out, but gave up after about 10 minutes as I found all the characters very annoying. However, after reading positive comments on here in relation to Squid Game I thought I’d give it another go. So glad I did. More action packed and violent than Squid Game (I think both are excellent in different ways) I was completely hooked and watched them all in three days, something I rarely do these days.

Felt like a mix between Battle Royale and Alex Garland’s The Beach. In other words right up my street. Looking forward to season 2 now.

Yeah I gave this a go and ended up binging it too (if watching 8 episodes over 4 nights can be called binging). I really like it but the 'event' in episode 1 really threw me initially as it had no reasonable logical explanation other than supernatural/sci-fi elements. I really liked Squid Game as it was fully grounded in reality and explained the system well, it was frustrating that there wasn't really an answer to the initiation of the event in episode 1.