IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

On 08/12/2021 at 07:57, Popo said:

I watched the first 30 minutes and it held my attention well, but my goodness it looks ropey! It was made around the same time Ridley Scott did Blade Runner, but the props are very rubbery and the effects more Flash Gordon than Star Wars.

Dune looked ropey in 1984. I still love it though. I saw Return of the Jedi with an orchestra playing the score two weeks ago. It still looked amazing. In fact the most dated part was that fucking dance number Lucas added in 1997. The orchestra didn't play that part. In fact the conductor stood with his head down in shame while it was playing.

Started watching Arcane after hearing it's really good. Ended up watching 6 episodes last night. 

It's really something special. The animation is just another level and the direction is just sublime. Blown away to be honest. 

9 hours ago, Ry said:

Started watching Arcane after hearing it's really good. Ended up watching 6 episodes last night. 

It's really something special. The animation is just another level and the direction is just sublime. Blown away to be honest. 

Thanks for the recommendation. One episode in and loving it. It's very rare I get on with animated series but this does so many things right.

Finished Money Heist last night and what a slog the last couple of series of that became, only stuck with it as knew it was finishing and you reach a point where you are so far in you feel obliged to see how it turns out. It seemed to think it was a tea time soap opera with any heist activity stopping for half of most the episodes so the characters could all talk about their feelings and cop off. 

The last couple of eps were of course gibberish but not as bad as the preceding 15 or so, the show didn't so much jump the shark as pile up every shark on the planet and fly Evel Knievel's rocket bike over the top. 

At least it concluded the story 'properly' so was satisfying in that respect. 

There is apparently talk of a prequel series based on the character of Berlin, who was of course most peoples favourite but you have to think with what you know about him from this it would lack any tension (it was stated in the penultimate ep he'd only been to jail once for events they showed so as a thief you know he's good at it).

Am I the only one who really didn't like Berlin? I feel like he was all over the place as a character.

Like you, I thought the last couple of episodes were okay with a couple of interesting twists.

Some of the stuff with voices floating through the air and what have you was quite naff.

36 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Am I the only one who really didn't like the Berlin? I feel like he was all over the place as a character.

I suspect the odd history of the show altered a lot about it from the first season, when I recall he was pretty cool. 

It wasn't a Netflix show, it was Spanish TV and hadn't done massively well on initial showing as had really long eps and was shown as an 'event' scheduling thing IIRC. It got cancelled and that was that

Then Netflix bought it up on the cheap, cut it up into shorter eps and it became a global smash hit, so the band got back together. It feels like Netflix's data driven approach gave the writers a lot of notes on who was watching and what they liked so it went from being a crime with a plan caper to something quite a bit different as they quickly scrambled to pad it out and extend the story, adding a lot of pretty hokey back story and character driven stuff, much of which felt like it was written 5mins before filming. 

'People liked them dancing, get some of that in'

'Bella ciao got 20m hits on YouTube, make them sing it again'

etc

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Don't Look Up is the latest film from Netflix in desperate need of an editor. 2 and a half hours! It could've been trimmed to a much tighter 1.45 easily. And probably be much better for it.

Still great fun. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s totally on the nose of course, but we live in an age of post-subtlety when it comes to political commentary.

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've mentioned it in the rate films thread, but check out The Summit of the Gods. Stunning French animation.

Yeah really enjoyed this, I'm a big fan of the climbing genre in all its formats so it was really nice to see a fictional story based in truth a bit like the Queen's Gambit. Slightly disarming to see that animation style, set in Japan but with French dialogue though.

On 23/11/2021 at 11:09, Bazjam said:

Thought season 3 of Narcos Mexico was great. Especially liked the storyline of the cop investigating the killing of Mexican women.

But what on odd place to leave the story. They practically finish on cliff hangers, even though they knew they wouldn't be making any more.

Oh, shame, I hadn't even realised until catching up with this thread that season 3 was N:M done and dusted. I guess it could more or less go on forever, because it's not like the drug war has ever ended or even lessened, but I did think they would at least go on to chart Chapo's rise, having introduced it.

On the other hand, it did feel like quite a final ending for all of the principal characters, including Walt. Sure, there was the mid-credits tease that one of the stories perhaps wasn't so concluded after all, but that wouldn't be revisited even if there were another season, due to the real history even aside from anything else.

5 hours ago, Gambit said:

Don't Look Up is the latest film from Netflix in desperate need of an editor. 2 and a half hours! It could've been trimmed to a much tighter 1.45 easily. And probably be much better for it.

I disagree. I never felt like it was dragging, and enjoyed every minute. It helps that the cast are all so good, of course. I'd recommend it to anyone.

4 hours ago, hmm said:

Oh, shame, I hadn't even realised until catching up with this thread that season 3 was N:M done and dusted. I guess it could more or less go on forever, because it's not like the drug war has ever ended or even lessened, but I did think they would at least go on to chart Chapo's rise, having introduced it.

On the other hand, it did feel like quite a final ending for all of the principal characters, including Walt. Sure, there was the mid-credits tease that one of the stories perhaps wasn't so concluded after all, but that wouldn't be revisited even if there were another season, due to the real history even aside from anything else.

Yeah, guess they had to end it somewhere, and sadly there is no end to this story. Just felt like they were building up to the Chapo storyline over the last two seasons, so it’s a shame we won’t get to see it.