IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

Just now, Festoon said:

Yeah, we felt shortchanged too. 

What was the point of it? The tone was just miles off.

Netflix fund some right shite.

They should have left it as it was at the end of the previous episode. That works. This didn’t.

On 06/04/2022 at 10:14, Illyria said:

I started watching this Japanese reality show about 2-5 yo children going on their first errands alone. It's called "Old Enough" and while the first episode still gave me a ton of anxiety (watching a 2 1/2 yo walking along and crossing a big and quite busy road), I got used to it after a while. The children are not just surrounded by the camera team, but by many others disguised as passersby, so they're never actually alone.

It's really freakin adorable and entertaining to watch, some try so hard to please their parents, others get really distracted of course. One girl got almost everything off the shopping list, except for shrimp, instead she got a fish because it was pink and had a cute face.

The episodes are nice and short (between 7 and 15 mins), bite-size moments of wholesomeness.

I watched a few of these tonight and they’re just so darn stressful/cute. They’re the closest thing reality tv has to a Pixar short, and great for a little pick me up. 

Literally punched the air in victory when the kid in the first episode 

Spoiler

Remembered the curry.

There's a cracking docuseries on at the moment called The Andy Warhol Diaries, which is about the diaries of...wait for it...Andy Warhol! Anyway it's basically amazing, the footage is just incredible and the interviews with everyone around Warhol at the timer are terrific. Each episode is like relaxing into a warm bath of Warhol's life. If you've got even the vaguest interest in him or his work it's essential. Some of the nicest intro credits I've seen too.

Also I forgot to say two other things about this series, they used an AI to recreate Warhol’s voice reading the diaries, which is so cool, gives it a real otherworldly vibe. And the music they use throughout is spot on.

On 07/04/2022 at 10:29, Uncle Nasty said:

Started watching the new Jimmy Savile two part documentary. Needed a shower after that. Most of it we knew before, the first part is about his career and how he established himself as the charidee guy and friend to the stars, but what I didn't know was the extent and depth of his relationship with Prince Charles and Margaret Thatcher. These weren't just PR or photo opportunities, Savile was trusted and respected by Prince Charles and even advised the royals on the Lockerbie disaster and how to handle the public following it. Charles was in awe of Savile .

The whole thing is just insane, demented and dark on an unimaginable scale. Dunno if I have the stomach for part two where they interview his victims. The fact that he effectively got away with it all means there's no closure or payback for his victims so it can only end horribly for everyone involved.

Fuck everyone who enabled him.

I watched it all last night.

It's very cleverly crafted, picking very very specific TV appearances with him glancing at the camera and all of that kind of thing, with basically everyone saying "oh, we knew" but they do so in such a defensive way that you can only question their integrity too.

I think it also spent far too long showing how "good" he was and not enough time giving his victims their voices. I didn't want to hear all the gory details, but it felt like it did them a disservice and there was still too much of the "that wasnt the Jim I knew" comments by the end.

I don't ever recall Jim'll Fix It being something we watched in my home, I was born in 84, but it stopped in 94(?) but knew of him and even then there were rumours in the playground and comments from my older brother about him that I remember picking up on.

On 07/04/2022 at 13:19, Tiny said:

@Illyriawe've been watching this too! It's so adorable, and hilarious watching the cameraman try to keep up but also out of the way! :lol:

This show is great but very stressful,  they need to close down all the roads!

On 09/04/2022 at 20:35, ZOK said:

There's a cracking docuseries on at the moment called The Andy Warhol Diaries, which is about the diaries of...wait for it...Andy Warhol! Anyway it's basically amazing, the footage is just incredible and the interviews with everyone around Warhol at the timer are terrific. Each episode is like relaxing into a warm bath of Warhol's life. If you've got even the vaguest interest in him or his work it's essential. Some of the nicest intro credits I've seen too.

I started this tonight, only one episode so far, but like you say, it's excellent. I watched another doc about him a few months back, can't remember if it was on the BBC or SkyArts, which covered the same ground (so far) but had more about his time as an illustrator and his relationship with his mum, but was only condensed into an hour or so. I'm hoping this goes deeper and does something with it being much, much longer.

Id add that it shouldn't be watched with any kids around, there's quite a bit of nudity and images of an adult nature.

48 minutes ago, wev said:

I started this tonight, only one episode so far, but like you say, it's excellent. I watched another doc about him a few months back, can't remember if it was on the BBC or SkyArts, which covered the same ground (so far) but had more about his time as an illustrator and his relationship with his mum, but was only condensed into an hour or so. I'm hoping this goes deeper and does something with it being much, much longer.

Id add that it shouldn't be watched with any kids around, there's quite a bit of nudity and images of an adult nature.

There’s so much in this, I wouldn’t think anyone’s going to come away disappointed, but I don’t think they expand much more on his family life, it’s more about his personal relationships and relationships with other artists.

I think that’s down to the source though…this is a ‘diary’ he essentially started keeping when he had already made it, so that’s where the real detail is.

And yes, adult imagery abounds throughout.

13 hours ago, ZOK said:

There’s so much in this, I wouldn’t think anyone’s going to come away disappointed, but I don’t think they expand much more on his family life, it’s more about his personal relationships and relationships with other artists.

I think that’s down to the source though…this is a ‘diary’ he essentially started keeping when he had already made it, so that’s where the real detail is.

And yes, adult imagery abounds throughout.

Yeah that makes sense.

I found the other one I mentioned, it was on iPlayer: Andy Warhol's America

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0b5mq8s

I posted this in the Disney/Fox thread but it can go here too too:

Production of Nimona, the animated movie that Blue Sky Studios were working on until Disney cancelled it after they bought Fox, has been revived. It's now being animated by DNEG for a Netflix release in 2023.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/nimona-netflix-annapurna-dneg-blue-sky-214964.html

9 hours ago, deKay said:

Old Enough is great! Yuya going to the fish market was amazing.

The shrine totem episode after is my favourite so far, it has everything - laughs, tears, suspense, and a twist ending that M Night Shyalaman would be proud of. 

Making my way through the Warhol Diaries series. Quite interesting.

I've always known about Warhol on a sort of pop culture level, but not really any detail. Not that I wasn't interested, I just never really looked into him for some reason.

The oddest thing is that I have no recollection of him being alive when I was young. I would have been 9 when he died and I'm quite sure I knew who he was back then, but I have no recollection of his death, which I imagine would have been a pretty big story. He always felt like someone who was already dead before my time, like Elvis or similar.

I've said nice things about Vikings Valhalla and just finished the series , left the last two episodes alone for a few weeks for some reason. Apart from some chicanery to keep a central character, eh, central and some queries about travel times in longboats it was pretty entertaining throughout.

On 09/04/2022 at 20:35, ZOK said:

Have to say this has probably been one of my favourite documentary series ever. Peerlessly produced, I’m so gutted it’s ended. I could have stayed listening to all those people talking about the 80s/90s New York art scene for years. What a show.

Watched The Sparks Brothers and it felt ironic that a documentary that goes to great lengths to remind us how unconventional Sparks are would itself be so utterly pedestrian. Felt like most of it was fluff, while anything potentially interesting remained out of reach. Instead we have the usual early success > lean period > new generation of fans redemption arc burnished by a succession of talking heads. Quite the hubris from Wright putting himself in his own documentary as well.

It's also fine to admit that they may have had a couple of crap or disappointing albums in a run of twenty-five, instead of pretending that the public or the record industry weren't ready for what they were putting out. Even the best bands would be unlikely to hit the mark 100% of the time over fifty years.

On 29/03/2022 at 10:17, Tony said:

You need to set up an account in the UK. Set it to pay from a card (something like a Revolut is best). Pay the first month then cancel so that it has your UK bank details on file. Then when you are going through the reactivation steps after your month has finished and you've selected your payment method - you switch the VPN to Turkey and reload the page during that stage to get the Turkish price. If you do it that way you avoid the SMS thing.

What is the Turkish pricing please? Significantly cheaper or not?

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

What is the Turkish pricing please? Significantly cheaper or not?

Works out at about £3 a month ish. Give or take a few pence depending on the exchange rate.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 10.11.07.png

On 10/04/2022 at 12:42, wev said:

I watched it all last night.

It's very cleverly crafted, picking very very specific TV appearances with him glancing at the camera and all of that kind of thing, with basically everyone saying "oh, we knew" but they do so in such a defensive way that you can only question their integrity too.

I think it also spent far too long showing how "good" he was and not enough time giving his victims their voices. I didn't want to hear all the gory details, but it felt like it did them a disservice and there was still too much of the "that wasnt the Jim I knew" comments by the end.

I don't ever recall Jim'll Fix It being something we watched in my home, I was born in 84, but it stopped in 94(?) but knew of him and even then there were rumours in the playground and comments from my older brother about him that I remember picking up on.

I think they tried way too hard to show why he originally got famous here to international audiences. The first 90 min episode could be viewed as a love letter in how this working class Yorkshire ex miner made it.

It just didn't work for me on any level. The interviews with BBC media dickheads like Lawson and Hislop just going "well we heard things and he was weird". People who knew him like his Fix It producer and PA offering nothing other than "we was so shocked! I saw nothing".

Sam Browns testimony on being abused by him was very moving and hard to hear stood out.  Especially when it ends on saying Savile had 400 separate police complaints against him.

There is a far better documentary about this to be made. This is two 90 min documentaries but still felt really shallow tbh.

Tried to watch that Choose or Die last night. Figured it would be right up my street. I had to bail early on in the scene with the waitress eating glass. It was too much for me. I guess I'm getting squeamish in my old age.

Shows where the hook is basically "human suffering" I give a wide birth these days.

Something like that Thermae Roman Bath show which has some of the most positive vibes are more my jam.

Metal Lords was pretty good. Netflix teen comedy type thing with two dorky high school kids wanting to start a metal band. Usually we find the Netflix own  comedies to be a bit rubbish but this was way better than it had any right to be.

Oh my word, I had no idea there was a new Last Chance U on there now after the basketball one they did last time, but apparently there is.

The sneaky fuckers.

Let's Go!

I started watching something called “Choose or Die” with Eddie Marsden in it. It’s meant to be in America but it’s clearly London. One of the first scenes is in Boston Manor Park under the M4 flyover. They’ve just CGIed American looking signs up and stuff. It’s offputting. I can’t watch it now.