Netflix

Marlowe

After about 10 years or so, I think I’m done with Netflix. The nickel and dime approach they’re taking to customers is just annoying me to the point of getting rid of it. Want Ultra HD (like Disney+ gives for free), that’s £5 please. Want to share your account with an elderly relative who watches ww2 documentaries, that’s £2.99 please.

The new content has been going seriously downhill the past few years, with the odd gem but it’s 80% garbage that’s on it now. The older films are slowly disappearing onto other services. I’ve kept on sticking with it because my son watches some programs and I just couldn’t be bothered switching it off. I think the real final nail in the coffin was the “surprise me” feature, which seems to purely consist of them forcing you to view a Netflix original in order to get their “watches for more than 30 seconds, so that counts as a view” metrics up, instead of actually using some sort of viewing history analysis to make me watch something I’d genuinely like, instead of “The Umbrella Academy”

This new feature where you can click on an actor to see the rest of their films is just embarrassing when you actually use it. I think Millie Bobby Brown has more stuff on Netflix than bloody Winona Ryder. Really highlights just how heavily reliant on their deeply patchy "Originals" they actually are.

Everything they've produced that I've actually enjoyed has either been cancelled or is coming to an end. Hopefully I can convince my wife that we should cancel once Better Call Saul finishes.

It's weird, but Better Call Saul suddenly refuses to play for my mum on Netflix. All other shows are fine, or at least the ones she's tried are okay. She's using an Apple TV box. I don't have any issues on my macbook or xbox. It just constantly buffers for her, and without a percentage progression as well. Baffled.

So it's off to the high seas with a clear conscience. 

I watched the "limited series" documentary on D.B. Cooper. It's pretty bad! There's so little information on the crime itself there's little that you can't really do a documentary about it. So it's just a few hours of desparate unpleasant people indulging in conspiracy theories. I mean, yeah, maybe that's the point of the documentary but it's still quite tiring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2022 at 15:06, Steve McQueef said:

Did the whole Turkish gift card routine that popped up on hotukdeals and now subbed to Netflix Premium until Sept 2023, for £48. 

If anyone's thinking about doing it and unsure about VPNs, etc, I used the mobile version of Windscribe and had no issues. 

Is this still working for you? I did the same a few days ago but it won’t let me watch anything unless I keep my region set to Turkey via the VPN. I’ve seen a few people posting on Reddit saying similar things. 

I see Wednesday brings the 2014 documentary Filmed in Supermarionation. Obviously about Gerry Anderson puppet shows. It's not new, so some may have seen it before. I'm honestly unsure if I have.

There’s a lovely mini-doc on Netflix at the moment about Elio Fiorucci, can’t remember what it’s called but search for Fiorucci I guess! It’s only like 52 minutes and pretty roughly edited but it is jam packed with stunning imagery, and it moves so fast it’s like being machine gunned by the Italian National Splattoon Squad.

Also watched a great three part series on the (literal) garbage fire that was the infamous Woodstock 99 festival. This is rammed full of terrific footage, and makes Fyre Festival seem like Hay on Wye.

Just watched that today after my colleague recommended it! It gave me really weird feelings, a mixture of nostalgia for my teenage years, and absolute relief I didn't attend that... trainwreck... of a festival.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

Tried watching Midnight Mass, got halfway through episode 2 but ... it's dull as ditch water. 

That's where the wife and I gave up on it. 

I stuck a bit more on in the background the other day will playing Two Point Campus and it's ended up being being in my top 5 shows of the 2020s. It speeds up with each episode. Wife refused to watch anymore, possibly because she got forced to sit through mass as a kid.

Aye,  that was ultimately worth persevering with, but it's definitely too flabby, self indulgent ... the writing is not the best, in fact you could probably cut half of the script and not lose anything.  But the overall story was a good one. 

7 minutes ago, revlob said:

0d0536a687af190b7ca83074a40cfaf837a06c30

I keep starting to watch the trilogy (and Scorpion King) as I have them on 4k, and I end up just keep watching the first film. Or occasionally watch the second one and spend the whole time thinking I should have just watched The Mummy. 

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

I've just seen Tom Cruise's The Mummy drop on Netflix.  So... is it proper, proper crap? Or watchable "for free" if there is nothing on telly?

The latter. But it's pretty dull.

On 14/07/2022 at 23:41, Headache said:

For those who enjoy Korean dramas, there's a currently airing show on Netflix that's quickly growing in popularity, Extraordinary Attorney Woo. "Brilliant attorney Woo Young-woo tackles challenges in the courtroom and beyond as a newbie at a top law firm and a woman on the autism spectrum." It's been a wonderful warm-hearted, feel good show so far.

Thank you so much for this recommendation! I've watched the first two episodes over the last week and it's so wholesome and somewhat reminiscent of Amelie, which I've loved. Wonderful show.

On 20/07/2022 at 13:53, Illyria said:

New German show getting released in August, trailer has English subs:

Online it has been compared to Killing Eve (not certain if favorably), which I haven't seen myself. It's about a former East German spy out for revenge, the titular Kleo :)

This is out now!

Edit: watching the first episode right now and got a serious trigger warning, spoilers though:

Spoiler

Somewhat graphic scene of a miscarriage

In Korea the first episode of Extraordinary Attorney Woo only got 0.9% viewership rating, which was understandable since it aired on a newish cable channel ENA. By the third episode it had reached 4%, which set the record for the highest ratings in ENA history. Week on week the ratings rose as word of mouth spread and its recent final episode hit 17.5%, which Wikipedia reckons is about 4.449 million Koreans.

Meanwhile Netflix has the global streaming rights to the show and it's been either the first or second most watched 'Non-English' TV show on Netflix since it dropped. Netflix provide this 'hours viewed' info per week and it's kind of fascinating to see what people are watching.

It's easily one of my favourite shows of the year, so I'm really happy to see it's been so well received globally.

On 21/08/2022 at 21:46, Headache said:

In Korea the first episode of Extraordinary Attorney Woo only got 0.9% viewership rating, which was understandable since it aired on a newish cable channel ENA. By the third episode it had reached 4%, which set the record for the highest ratings in ENA history. Week on week the ratings rose as word of mouth spread and its recent final episode hit 17.5%, which Wikipedia reckons is about 4.449 million Koreans.

Meanwhile Netflix has the global streaming rights to the show and it's been either the first or second most watched 'Non-English' TV show on Netflix since it dropped. Netflix provide this 'hours viewed' info per week and it's kind of fascinating to see what people are watching.

It's easily one of my favourite shows of the year, so I'm really happy to see it's been so well received globally.

Just watched the first episode and was already crying 10 minutes in. Best feel-good show since Ted Lasso! 

On 10/08/2022 at 22:04, wullie said:

One of my highlights was Fred Durst watching everybody start breaking stuff as they played Break Stuff, then come off stage and immediately say it wasn't their fault. 

I think the organisers are the real bad guys here.  John Scher came across like a right piece of shit, completely unwilling to take any responsibility.  

I'm amazed no one died.