Netflix

Marlowe

3 died. One from heat. One hit by a car. One from a heart attack from a pre-existing condition. Not sure how much the concert can be blamed on all those, but there were deaths. 

I'd certainly hold them partly responsible for the heatstroke victim unless it was unseasonably hot that weekend. The choice of venue, awful layout and price gouging all seemed to create what happened there

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

3 died. One from heat. One hit by a car. One from a heart attack from a pre-existing condition. Not sure how much the concert can be blamed on all those, but there were deaths. 

Ah right, the documentary never mentioned that. 

The Untold documentary series on Netflix is just soooo damn good.  Watched the And1 one last night, kept me glued for the full hour.  Also watched the 'The girlfriend who didn't exist' the other night, which is a mindbogglingly story.  Love em.

3 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

The Untold documentary series on Netflix is just soooo damn good.  Watched the And1 one last night, kept me glued for the full hour. 

Oh cool, I added that to my list last night so I’m glad it’s a good one.

51 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Oh cool, I added that to my list last night so I’m glad it’s a good one.

Yeah, really good.  The only one that didn't keep my attention was the tennis one.

Still got 2 to watch.

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Yeah, really good.  The only one that didn't keep my attention was the tennis one.

Still got 2 to watch.

My favourite episode of the first season was the tennis one (Breaking Point). Not watched the new season yet, looking forward to it.

27 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

My favourite episode of the first season was the tennis one (Breaking Point). Not watched the new season yet, looking forward to it.

Maybe I should give it another go then.  I got half way through and realised I wasn't paying attention.

On 24/08/2022 at 03:53, Chewylegs said:

The Untold documentary series on Netflix is just soooo damn good.  Watched the And1 one last night, kept me glued for the full hour.  Also watched the 'The girlfriend who didn't exist' the other night, which is a mindbogglingly story.  Love em.

Danbury Trashers and the Malice at the Palace ones are good too.

Loved that And1 doc, I used to watch the bus tour stuff I think on Sky Sports and the Prof on YouTube many years ago.

I wasn't really into the culture or basketball by any means so all the story behind the brand and it's implosion was new to me.

3 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

That documentary took me down the YouTube rabbit hole to the point at which I now watch The Professor daily, destroying trash talkers 1 on 1!

I’ve never really followed basketball (although I played a lot) - my memories of And1 are from ads in Vibe magazine and those amazing Kung Faux dvds!

I used to watch basketball at silly times in the night when I was a teenager.  Loved the Bulls, especially Pippen. I vaguely remember And1 but not particularly, so watching these streetballers took me back to the days of playing NBA Jam on the SNES. 

The Professor comes across as genuinely nice guy, so it's good to see him doing so well still.

Tried the first episode of Trainwreck Woodstock 99 - the curse of the modern documentary means that they have to have incidental music playing throughout to make it feel dramatic - LETS JUST LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY FOR FUCK SAKES

During the first 45 minutes I've seen enough thicko Amercian frat boy behaviour footage to last me a lifetime, what the fuck is wrong with them, where they all raised under pylons or something?

Proves that in "99 music was shit too.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Tried the first episode of Trainwreck Woodstock 99 - the curse of the modern documentary means that they have to have incidental music playing throughout to make it feel dramatic - LETS JUST LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY FOR FUCK SAKES

During the first 45 minutes I've seen enough thicko Amercian frat boy behaviour footage to last me a lifetime, what the fuck is wrong with them, where they all raised under pylons or something?

Proves that in "99 music was shit too.

Watched this documentary as well. Made me reflect upon how much 1999 was another world, far more than my base assumption. Imagine a music festival now with most of its attendees in its late teens and twenties – just wouldn’t happen. Music isn’t a cultural force like it was in relatively recent living memory, certainly not for the younger age groups. The whole atmosphere of that festival seemed to be toxic masculinity in force as well; you can imagine how many of the more aggressive attendees ended up voting for Trump and wearing MAGA caps.

(You’re totally right about nu metal and nu metal adjacent bollocks like RHCP being utterly horrific dogshit, BTW. Depressing to think that made some degree of commercial headway over here as well. Staggering in retrospect how that whole genre ever became popular.)

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I don't think you have that right at all, there's plenty catering for young people that still sell out. I mean right now Leeds and Reading is taking place which is exactly the festival for teenagers and people in their 20s. 

I love how people moan about Nu Metal too 😆. Just like their dad's moaned about stuff like grunge and their dad's about 70s/80s rock. Rinse and repeat for every generation.

I'd never moan one way or the other about nu metal, it was just wank

Anyway 99 was terrible in many ways for music, as the line up showed

56 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I love how people moan about Nu Metal too 😆. Just like their dad's moaned about stuff like grunge and their dad's about 70s/80s rock. Rinse and repeat for every generation.

Never liked it as a teenager, liked plenty of music concurrent to and after nu metal. So don’t pull that on me, mate, please. 😉 That sort of thuggish, nihilistic stuff has never done anything for me.

That bit where Korn are opening their set with “Blind” and the “Are you ready?” before it kicks with that (basic but) heavy riff. I would have loved to be there for that - that was awesome. Sorry. 

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I don't think you have that right at all, there's plenty catering for young people that still sell out. I mean right now Leeds and Reading is taking place which is exactly the festival for teenagers and people in their 20s. 

You being serious here? Like anyone doesn't have the right to their own opinion especially if it goes against yours? 

5 minutes ago, multi said:

You being serious here? Like anyone doesn't have the right to their own opinion especially if it goes against yours? 

"I think you have that wrong" not "you're not allowed to have the opinion that festivals aren't for young people anymore"