Jump to content

Netflix


Marlowe
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 died. One from heat. One hit by a car. One from a heart attack from a pre-existing condition. Not sure how much the concert can be blamed on all those, but there were deaths. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd certainly hold them partly responsible for the heatstroke victim unless it was unseasonably hot that weekend. The choice of venue, awful layout and price gouging all seemed to create what happened there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

3 died. One from heat. One hit by a car. One from a heart attack from a pre-existing condition. Not sure how much the concert can be blamed on all those, but there were deaths. 

Ah right, the documentary never mentioned that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Untold documentary series on Netflix is just soooo damn good.  Watched the And1 one last night, kept me glued for the full hour.  Also watched the 'The girlfriend who didn't exist' the other night, which is a mindbogglingly story.  Love em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

The Untold documentary series on Netflix is just soooo damn good.  Watched the And1 one last night, kept me glued for the full hour. 


Oh cool, I added that to my list last night so I’m glad it’s a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, ZOK said:


Oh cool, I added that to my list last night so I’m glad it’s a good one.

Yeah, really good.  The only one that didn't keep my attention was the tennis one.

Still got 2 to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Yeah, really good.  The only one that didn't keep my attention was the tennis one.

Still got 2 to watch.

 

My favourite episode of the first season was the tennis one (Breaking Point). Not watched the new season yet, looking forward to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

 

My favourite episode of the first season was the tennis one (Breaking Point). Not watched the new season yet, looking forward to it.

Maybe I should give it another go then.  I got half way through and realised I wasn't paying attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/08/2022 at 03:53, Chewylegs said:

The Untold documentary series on Netflix is just soooo damn good.  Watched the And1 one last night, kept me glued for the full hour.  Also watched the 'The girlfriend who didn't exist' the other night, which is a mindbogglingly story.  Love em.

Danbury Trashers and the Malice at the Palace ones are good too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved that And1 doc, I used to watch the bus tour stuff I think on Sky Sports and the Prof on YouTube many years ago.

 

I wasn't really into the culture or basketball by any means so all the story behind the brand and it's implosion was new to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

 That documentary took me down the YouTube rabbit hole to the point at which I now watch The Professor daily, destroying trash talkers 1 on 1!


I’ve never really followed basketball (although I played a lot) - my memories of And1 are from ads in Vibe magazine and those amazing Kung Faux dvds!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to watch basketball at silly times in the night when I was a teenager.  Loved the Bulls, especially Pippen. I vaguely remember And1 but not particularly, so watching these streetballers took me back to the days of playing NBA Jam on the SNES. 

 

The Professor comes across as genuinely nice guy, so it's good to see him doing so well still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried the first episode of Trainwreck Woodstock 99 - the curse of the modern documentary means that they have to have incidental music playing throughout to make it feel dramatic - LETS JUST LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY FOR FUCK SAKES

 

During the first 45 minutes I've seen enough thicko Amercian frat boy behaviour footage to last me a lifetime, what the fuck is wrong with them, where they all raised under pylons or something?

 

Proves that in "99 music was shit too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Tried the first episode of Trainwreck Woodstock 99 - the curse of the modern documentary means that they have to have incidental music playing throughout to make it feel dramatic - LETS JUST LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY FOR FUCK SAKES

 

During the first 45 minutes I've seen enough thicko Amercian frat boy behaviour footage to last me a lifetime, what the fuck is wrong with them, where they all raised under pylons or something?

 

Proves that in "99 music was shit too.

 

Watched this documentary as well. Made me reflect upon how much 1999 was another world, far more than my base assumption. Imagine a music festival now with most of its attendees in its late teens and twenties – just wouldn’t happen. Music isn’t a cultural force like it was in relatively recent living memory, certainly not for the younger age groups. The whole atmosphere of that festival seemed to be toxic masculinity in force as well; you can imagine how many of the more aggressive attendees ended up voting for Trump and wearing MAGA caps.

 

(You’re totally right about nu metal and nu metal adjacent bollocks like RHCP being utterly horrific dogshit, BTW. Depressing to think that made some degree of commercial headway over here as well. Staggering in retrospect how that whole genre ever became popular.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

I don't think you have that right at all, there's plenty catering for young people that still sell out. I mean right now Leeds and Reading is taking place which is exactly the festival for teenagers and people in their 20s. 

 

I love how people moan about Nu Metal too 😆. Just like their dad's moaned about stuff like grunge and their dad's about 70s/80s rock. Rinse and repeat for every generation.

 

I'd never moan one way or the other about nu metal, it was just wank

 

Anyway 99 was terrible in many ways for music, as the line up showed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I love how people moan about Nu Metal too 😆. Just like their dad's moaned about stuff like grunge and their dad's about 70s/80s rock. Rinse and repeat for every generation.

Never liked it as a teenager, liked plenty of music concurrent to and after nu metal. So don’t pull that on me, mate, please. 😉 That sort of thuggish, nihilistic stuff has never done anything for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That bit where Korn are opening their set with “Blind” and the “Are you ready?” before it kicks with that (basic but) heavy riff. I would have loved to be there for that - that was awesome. Sorry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

 

I don't think you have that right at all, there's plenty catering for young people that still sell out. I mean right now Leeds and Reading is taking place which is exactly the festival for teenagers and people in their 20s. 

 

I love how people moan about Nu Metal too 😆. Just like their dad's moaned about stuff like grunge and their dad's about 70s/80s rock. Rinse and repeat for every generation.

 

 You being serious here? Like anyone doesn't have the right to their own opinion especially if it goes against yours? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, multi said:

 

 You being serious here? Like anyone doesn't have the right to their own opinion especially if it goes against yours? 

 

 

 

"I think you have that wrong" not "you're not allowed to have the opinion that festivals aren't for young people anymore"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.