IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

Umm can I take a moment to recommend an absolutely stunning documentary called Let the Fire Burn.

It's on US Netflix. One of the very, very best films i've seen so far this year, and one of the most angering, emotionally shattering, well-told documentaries I've seen in forever.

Shoes recommended The Great Beauty to me, it was fairly excellent, like modern Fellini at the height of his powers. Worth a gander on UK Netflix.

Umm can I take a moment to recommend an absolutely stunning documentary called Let the Fire Burn.

It's on US Netflix. One of the very, very best films i've seen so far this year, and one of the most angering, emotionally shattering, well-told documentaries I've seen in forever.

I watched this last night, amazing film. Its a completely mind boggling story, one I had no knowledge of at all before. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

Just saw Lone Survivor with Mark Whalberg on Netflix Brazil. It's about a Navy Seal team who, as you may guess from the title, were exposed in their mission to kill a Taliban leader and decimated as a result. Slow start as it leans heavily into showing how gruelling it is to become a Navy Seal (yes, just like any other special forces in the world, I would imagine) and introducing the characters back at base camp, but once the mission goes south it just keeps racheting up the tension. This isn't a case of all but one of the team getting wiped out in one fell swoop, but rather an extended and roaming firefight which lasts for a good portion of the movie. Things actually get a bit harrowing as injuries stack up and tactics become more desperate, every bullet wound and broken bone felt surprisingly affecting compared to other action movies I've watched.

Although it does attempt to honour the 'good' people of Afghanistan at the end, a better commentary is when one of the characters is rescued by tribesmen. He just keeps repeating "Why are you helping me?", over and over.

I've just started unblock US, after being bored to tears by the shit updates for Netflix UK.

Couple of impressions..

The kids films on Netflix US are worse. Apart from Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, the selection seems poorer (no Pixar films, although I thought Netflix had signed a deal with Disney recently?)

The browser user interface is one of the worst fucking pieces of shit I have ever witnessed (I've only ever used the Apple TV, Wii or Wii U - but I'm just testing with Safari).

It's like an old video rental shop, although instead of categorising them in any decent way, they've just shoved a random bunch of shit together in a bin. How about the category "Late night cult sex comedies". With 8 random films in it. I can't even seem to get a view of "What's new on Netflix" (which is on the Apple TV and Wii/Wii U versions).

Even something like Alpha Pappa, which I take is a bit of a niche film to the US, is just hidden away somewhere. Unless you know to search for it, you'll never find it.

It's like it's built around you having to use third party forums - or worse, Facebook likes, to work out what to watch.