IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

I am totally gripped by Mad Men at the moment. Ok so it's hardly much of a recommendation considering the plaudits it's already received, but I've done Season One and I'm a couple of episodes into Two, and it's made a huge impact already. I love having these characters in my life.

From the writing, the acting, direction, set detail, hair & makeup (more important then I imagined in a show like this). It's rich in just about every area. And there's not just one or two characters worth watching, they all are.

I'd rate it up there with The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire. I actually think I'm enjoying it more than all of those to be honest. Early days yet though.

Just reading through and Boss sounds great - but it's gone now? Gutted.

Real shame about all that content disappearing, just as I have some time to sit down and watch some stuff too :(

There was an article in Empire about how Netflix is soooo great, and won't it be awesome to have everthing on tap. Forever!! But I never really assumed it would work like that. Netflix'll pay some sort of licence, and when that runs out, I guess the TV shows or the films just vanish.

Guilty pleasures? I've just started watching the first few minutes of Blitz. Jason Statham in hard London cop obviousness. I'm actually sort of enjoying it - an English film for once, seemingly all on location in our fair capital. It's a bit rough and yet seems to exude charm...

Also, randomly, the black girl from fresh meat features. She is getting around.

I am totally gripped by Mad Men at the moment. Ok so it's hardly much of a recommendation considering the plaudits it's already received, but I've done Season One and I'm a couple of episodes into Two, and it's made a huge impact already. I love having these characters in my life.

From the writing, the acting, direction, set detail, hair & makeup (more important then I imagined in a show like this). It's rich in just about every area. And there's not just one or two characters worth watching, they all are.

I'd rate it up there with The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire. I actually think I'm enjoying it more than all of those to be honest. Early days yet though.

It only gets better. :wub:

Yes, it is the best.

Sorry if I'm being dense but is that just during the 7 day trial or is there a loophole that lets you use the DNS after the trial without signing up for Unblock US?

So far most (possibly all) of us who are using this service on PS3 or 360 have been able to access US content without paying a sub or signing up. I’ve been using it since Netflix launched, never signed up for anything and it’s worked perfectly since day one.

So far most (possibly all) of us who are using this service on PS3 or 360 have been able to access US content without paying a sub or signing up. I’ve been using it since Netflix launched, never signed up for anything and it’s worked perfectly since day one.

Thanks for that! I did trial their service on my WD TV Live box but didn't think to see if it still worked after the 7 days had passed. Y

Will give it a shot and failing that will use my 360 with the volume up to compensate for the fan noise (this one seems particularly bad) :P

Seems quite an oversight on Unblock US' part...

Possibly coincidental, but my Internet has been quite flakey since changing the DNS and getting the American content - general slowness, intermittent connection and, on the ps3 in particular, trouble signing in and connection drops with errors such as 'you have been signed out of the access point' and 'DNS error'.

Again, may be a coincidence (and I'm changing ISP this week from sky to virgin fibre optic), so ymmv.

Possibly coincidental, but my Internet has been quite flakey since changing the DNS and getting the American content - general slowness, intermittent connection and, on the ps3 in particular, trouble signing in and connection drops with errors such as 'you have been signed out of the access point' and 'DNS error'.

Again, may be a coincidence (and I'm changing ISP this week from sky to virgin fibre optic), so ymmv.

I use a different connection setting for signing into US Netflix because as you say it slows everything else down.

I've no idea how streaming works but I'm pretty amazed that netflix can deliver decent resolution images (plenty, plenty good enough for an iphone at least) without any stuttering or buffering over 3G. The only streaming video I use regularly. iPlayer, certainly doesn't run particularly well over 3G, same for Youtube...

I'm impressed enough to try that DNS tampering thing...

There really isn't much from the Starz content that I would miss. Those that I would miss ...well, the movies were in shit-o-vision so fuck it.

the list was just all the stuff that was out of contract too, not just the Starz content. Things come and go all the time by the looks of it. A lot of stuff gets renewed. I was worried about Farscape at the end of January but they all got signed up again.

Chasing Ghosts:Beyond the Arcade has just appeared on US Netflix; an excellent documentary covering the Twin Galaxies high score scene and its history with many of the same people featured as in The King of Kong (Billy Mitchell, Walter Day, Mr Awesome etc).

There's a fair bit of discussion on it in this King of Kong thread.

I'm so late to the party when it comes to US tv shows. I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Breaking Bad, it was brilliant. I think I had been put off by thinking it was a wacky comedy or something cause it had the guy in it from Malcolm in the Middle (I've since realised he's also in Drive, and is a damn good actor).

I was also very late to The Wire. I suppose the benefit is being able to watch it all back to back. I've now got The Sopranos, Mad Men, and Boss on the list. Anything else that's on Netflix? I've pretty much missed all the big US shows from the last ten years or more.