IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

Netflix is betting big on Billy Madison. The company has announced it's signed a deal with actor Adam Sandler that'll see him produce and star in four feature-length films set to premiere exclusively on Netflix. Sandler's Happy Madison Productions and Netflix will work together on each project, according to a press release issued this evening. Neither side is discussing numbers, so we don't yet know how much Netflix has committed to its collaboration with Sandler.

SANDLER'S FILMS HAVE GROSSED OVER $3 BILLION GLOBALLY

Considering Sandler's recent box office disasters (Blended, anyone?), it may seem odd that Netflix would pursue such a lengthy and all-encompassing deal. But remember that Netflix has access to our collective streaming habits, and apparently people everywhere really, really love Adam Sandler. Netflix says his films "consistently rank among the most viewed by Netflix members in the US and across its global territories from Brazil to the UK." Sandler's films have grossed over $3 billion globally. Critics haven't been kind to Sandler over the last decade, but people are still willing to watch. As for what Sandler himself has to say about the whole thing, he issued the following statement:

When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only... Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks. Let the streaming begin!!!!

The Sandler pact is Netflix's latest step in adding original films — not just TV shows — to its repertoire. Only days ago, the company announced an original movie partnership with Harvey Weinstein that will result in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend debuting on Netflix and in IMAX theaters simultaneously. Other movie theater chains aren't so thrilled about Netflix's attempt to disrupt the traditional movie release model, but the just-announced Sandler deal shows that Netflix is quite serious about producing feature films with legitimate star power. Kevin Spacey certainly helped House of Cards lift off as a hit series, and Reed Hastings and Co. are hopeful Sandler can help their movie ambitions find the same success.

:mellow:

At the risk of being negged to fuckery I have to admit I don't mind Adam Sandler...

Good Sandler films: Happy Gilmore, Punch Drunk Love, Wedding Singer, Funny People, Big Daddy and Billy Madison.

Guilty Pleasures and OK Sandler Films: Little Nicky, Waterboy, Mr Deeds, 50 First Dates, Anger Management, Click and The Longest Yard.

Admittedly I haven't seen the shitter ones like Jack and Jill, Zohan and Grown Ups.

Going Overboard though... That was a Christmas ruining gift the year I got that :hmm:

read ages ago about the Danish film A Hijacking in this thread, and had it tagged to watch

finally caught up with it last night and what a cracking little film, so refreshing to see a non-hollywood take on something like this, the cook on the hijacked ship didn't turn out to be special forces, no navy SEALS storming the boat.

just a cracking, tight and tense character study of the participants of a Somali ship hijacking

I haven't heard of it before but 'Burning Love' is on Netflix, it's a parody of dating shows and if you like Children's Hospital or NTSF:SD:SUV:: then you'll probably like this (there are loads of actors and actresses from that and other comedy shows too)

I haven't heard of it before but 'Burning Love' is on Netflix, it's a parody of dating shows and if you like Children's Hospital or NTSF:SD:SUV:: then you'll probably like this (there are loads of actors and actresses from that and other comedy shows too)

Yes! It's great. Well worth a watch.

Some stuff I've found today

New Jack Ryan on Canada (which was okay)

Secret Life of Walter Mitty is on their as well (haven't watched it yet)

And I found The Double hidden away on US Netflix (watching now).

I watched Three Days To Kill as well and also thought it was pretty decent.

Och, I thought Jack Ryan was very average indeed. Chris Pine, Hollywood Liberal, I normally enjoy but he must have had a cold or something.

Moreover it didn't seem to have any proper action sequences, which is a bit of an omission. It briefly morphs into an anaemic Die Hard With A Vengeance toward the end of the second act, though.

I am really enjoying Antony Boudain's show tho. The Noma one where they eat reindeer moss is fantastic.

Transcendence is up on Brazil

Netflix Complete is also showing Daredevil (the new Netflix series, not the Affleck version) on France, Germany and some others. Haven't checked yet but I presume this is just

'forthcoming'.

EDIT: yeah, can't see it anywhere and you'd expect Netflix to be making a seriously big noise when it debuts. Look like it might be soon though. 'Street level' Marvel are all my favourite Marvel characters, so pretty excited this.

The Short Game - a hilarious documentary about the world's best 7-8 year old golfers. Most of the humour comes from watching tiny people play a game that is synonymous with people much older.

The kids come from all over the world and it's interesting to contrast their different backgrounds.

The best bits are watching them completely melt down on the course and the emotions echoed on their parents faces.

5/5

Transcendence is up on Brazil

Netflix Complete is also showing Daredevil (the new Netflix series, not the Affleck version) on France, Germany and some others. Haven't checked yet but I presume this is just

'forthcoming'.

EDIT: yeah, can't see it anywhere and you'd expect Netflix to be making a seriously big noise when it debuts. Look like it might be soon though. 'Street level' Marvel are all my favourite Marvel characters, so pretty excited this.

don't think the Daredevil show is due for ages yet, around May. Probably just promoting it in those countires where Netflix has launched recently.

Watched the first ten minutes of this last night and nearly passed out I was laughing so much. Can't wait to watch the whole thing when my iron lung turns up from Amazon.