Netflix

Marlowe

I started watching Broadchurch over the weekend and it's pretty good. But I think I was expecting something other than a standard procedural. I'm 4 episodes in and it feels like an episode of The Bill dragged out over a whole season. The acting and photography are excellent but otherwise it's a little pedestrian. Does it change gear at all?

Broadchurch suffers from the same problem that

The Killing, The Missing and various other not-bad whodunnits suffer from. It's always the character hovering around being nice but otherwise serving no purpose.

*spoiler tag added by Graham*

I enjoyed Broadchurch S1 for the lead performances and the photography, but it's definitely an ITV drama / soap opera masquerading as something more high brow. It becomes even more so towards the end, and S2 so far is even less serious and barely plausible.

I enjoyed Broadchurch S1 for the lead performances and the photography, but it's definitely an ITV drama / soap opera masquerading as something more high brow. It becomes even more so towards the end, and S2 so far is even less serious and barely plausible.

The twist at the end of this weeks episode was beyond ridiculous.

Watched Irreversible last night. Have never pysically put my whole fist in my mouth before this. Do not watch this film. That is all.

Watched this about 10 years ago. Still haven't fully recovered.

Irreversible

their are two truly horrific scenes. First one is an incredibly graphic murder where someone gets their had pulverised by a fire extinguisher. The second is an absolutely horrifying rape scene which is incredibly brutal. Both scenes run for about ten minuites each. To make things even worse the camera spends the whole film constantly swooping round and round making the viewer feel a bit sea sick. Other than that great film.

I just looked up irreversible on IMDB and read this:

"The first 30 minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was the main cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film in places like Cannes and San Sebastian. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction."

Interesting idea

2nd film I've been in where people walked out. The other was Antichrist.

The editing in Antichrist is hilariously reminiscent of Ideal in places :lol: .

Irreversible is hard work but the sense of preciousness it generates for the closing moment is worth the journey, not that you can really blame people for not knowing that half way in and bailing.

​Anyway, watched Cold Creek Manor the other day. It's very meh (in fact the most interesting thing about it is that the young Kristen Stewart apparently had the voice of a thirty year old man) so my Netflix recommendation is that you avoid it.

Worth watching?!

It was ok, had a few funny moments but overall you are not missing much if you don't watch it.

I don't really enjoy the US sense of humour & crass comedy lines much prefer my British comedy movies.