IGNORED

Assetto Corsa

Dimahoo

40 minutes ago, davejm said:

Managed to get someone else from PowerQ Discord :)

I've set damage for the race to 10%.  Seems like a good amount that might hinder performance slightly if you crash, but means it wouldn't ruin your race.  Is that cool?

Defo, really good idea 😊

2 hours ago, Erik said:

@SharkyOB I'll try your settings tonight!

About easy to drive but raceable cars, are there any good LMP3 mods? Because those I think produce laptimes only slightly faster than GT3, but with much less horsepower so they are probably glued to the track in corners.

https://ac-forum.webnode.sk/cars/?fbclid=IwAR2qu6DcQCsf6IPDHr_OhjuBuTCQtsHDWcLrC3IPkDxAZUMUO6kGLEkObL8 for an attempt at the LMP3s, the Praga isn't a terrible shout as an alternative although as pointed out it's not running to those rules.

You are absolutely right with the end of your post, they race each other in the ELMS (and Praga vs GT3 in Britcar) and GENERALLY the LMP3s win out but they sometimes have to do their passing the Leroy Jenkins way.

wah, I'm so tired and not getting the free night I'd expected, so practice isn't happening yet. I tried to set something up and got into my Maserati in Bremgarten ok. But is there a way to get menu control on the wheel? I'm not at all clear on how I'd actually do all this from VR, at the moment.

33 minutes ago, milko said:

wah, I'm so tired and not getting the free night I'd expected, so practice isn't happening yet. I tried to set something up and got into my Maserati in Bremgarten ok. But is there a way to get menu control on the wheel? I'm not at all clear on how I'd actually do all this from VR, at the moment.

I just have the mouse to the right of me within groping range, so not sure how menu controls work with a wheel.

@milko I did not see a way to bind menu navigation in the controls. I just decided not to use VR.

8 hours ago, davejm said:

Managed to get someone else from PowerQ Discord :)

I've set damage for the race to 10%.  Seems like a good amount that might hinder performance slightly if you crash, but means it wouldn't ruin your race.  Is that cool?

Thank you - I think this is wise:

Whoopsie.gif.4ea8534e796d7713bd24089251a7f452.gif

I've just discovered that theres a Docker container for running the AC dedicated server on Synology NAS boxes.  

https://github.com/germanrcuriel/assetto-corsa-server

I have one that's on 247 - so I'll investigate if my box is fast enough to host us a practice server...   It's happily run a dedicated Minecraft server for my kids before without breaking a sweat, so I'm hopeful.   I'll report back.

No worries @Erik, see you for the next one.

Really looking forward to tonight.  I don't expect to do much 'racing' but if I can keep it on the track without too much frustration that'll be awesome; and it'll always brilliant seeing these 1950s cars whizzing by.

@Valver, don't forgot to register for the second race now that we've split this into two events.

Here's a summary of timings:-

• Practice:  19:45 - 20:10 (25 mins)
  • Qualifying:  20:10 - 20:30 (20 mins)
  • Race 1:  20:30 - 21:00 (30 mins)

At the end of the first race we'll leave the server, and I'll sort out the reverse grid for the second race...

• Practice:  21:15 - 21:20 (5 mins)
  • Race 2:  21:25 - 21:55 (30 mins)

3 minutes ago, Yannik said:

Just registered for both of the races as my schedule looks good for tonight! Gonna be fun to break out the good ol' H shifter and try not to crash every other second :D

Nice one @Yannik, great to have you join us again.  Numbers looking good for later :)   I still can't get around the track without crashing.  I'm too heavy footed with the throttle and can't resist pushing even if I tell myself I need to calm down and keep it clean.   So it's going to be an interesting race that's for sure.  Hopefully with there being other people on the track I'll try and reign it in!

Thank you Dave, really looking forward to it!

I know that feeling, especially in the corners. Since the speeds are relatively low, it always feels like you could try to go faster - until you've overdone it already :D
Haven't practiced yet, so I hope I won't suck too much come race time!

6 minutes ago, Valver said:

I found the challenge of moving back to a three pedal setup really messed with my ability to race.  Changing gear, using a clutch and now right foot braking all at the same time = big accidents :lol:

This is my first serious use of my H-pattern shifter, and despite driving every day for 25 years there's still a big disconnect of sim vs real life due to the lack of biting point on the clutch.  But it's really fun using it!!

3 hours ago, davejm said:

This is my first serious use of my H-pattern shifter, and despite driving every day for 25 years there's still a big disconnect of sim vs real life due to the lack of biting point on the clutch.  But it's really fun using it!!

I'm not sure it's even the lack of bite point that causes this (except from a standing start), basically driving a car on the road vs on a track at high speed are such different disciplines that no amount of road driving will prepare you for using 3 pedals fully in a sim.  The way you change gear is so different, especially on downshifts, that I think you just have to learn how to do it from scratch.

Something that's important with this car, although it's a good skill to develop whenever you're driving a manual car, is to get used to braking with both feet.  A good example at Bremgarten is the final corner; when I've finished braking for the tight right hander and I'm down in first gear, I move my right foot back to the throttle, but also move my left foot to the brake.  This is because I know I won't need the clutch again until after the corner, and I can then use both the throttle and brake to balance the car if I need to.  Obvs this is also really useful in fast turns where you don't need to downshift too, like the really quick right hander with the hut on the outside towards the end of the lap.

3 hours ago, Yannik said:

I've mostly used mine for driving vintage stuff offline (including more laps in a Porsche 917K than I'd like to admit), but never in online races. In theory, I should be fine, but we'll see

Love that car so much, defo one of my favourites :wub:

9 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'm not sure it's even the lack of bite point that causes this (except from a standing start), basically driving a car on the road vs on a track at high speed are such different disciplines that no amount of road driving will prepare you for using 3 pedals fully in a sim.  The way you change gear is so different, especially on downshifts, that I think you just have to learn how to do it from scratch.

Something that's important with this car, although it's a good skill to develop whenever you're driving a manual car, is to get used to braking with both feet.  A good example at Bremgarten is the final corner; when I've finished braking for the tight right hander and I'm down in first gear, I move my right foot back to the throttle, but also move my left foot to the brake.  This is because I know I won't need the clutch again until after the corner, and I can then use both the throttle and brake to balance the car if I need to.  Obvs this is also really useful in fast turns where you don't need to downshift too, like the really quick right hander with the hut on the outside towards the end of the lap.

Love that car so much, defo one of my favourites :wub:

Agree on the braking, that's super useful. A bunch of corners on the classic Spa layout are a good example for this technique as well, Burnenville and basically the entire final sector come to mind. Makes those slight adjustments that much quicker.

As for the 917K, it's one of my all-time favorites as well. Such a good-looking car, and a beast as well! It's still hard to imagine that this thing was introduced in the late 1960s and achieved the speeds it did. Super fun but challenging to drive in AC as well.

I'm buzzing for later :)  Gotta hope the dog doesn't interrupt me.  She was fine during last week's endurance, but it was her first day with me so was more shy.  She's a bit braver now and when I did a bit of practice the other day she was a bit more keen to stick her nose in.  We'll see what happens.  Will take her for a long walk first.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I'm buzzing for later :)  Gotta hope the dog doesn't interrupt me.  She was fine during last week's endurance, but it was her first day with me so was more shy.  She's a bit braver now and when I did a bit of practice the other day she was a bit more keen to stick her nose in.  We'll see what happens.  Will take her for a long walk first.

Haha that means she will be like verstappen's cats 😄 

37 minutes ago, winky said:

I signed up but I have no idea how to join a multiplayer race, is there an option via content manager?

Yep, copy the server name from simracing.gp and go to drive > online (or something like that) in content manager.  Search for the server using the name and you should be able to find it.  We'll all be on discord anyway so we'll be able to help each other later.