Seinfeld - from the start

The problem I've always had with Seinfeld is that I absolutely adore the supporting cast and think they're hilarious but Jerry makes me want to put my boot through the screen. I just can't stand the guy for some reason.

The problem I've always had with Seinfeld is that I absolutely adore the supporting cast and think they're hilarious but Jerry makes me want to put my boot through the screen. I just can't stand the guy for some reason.

a lot of people have a similar reaction to Larry David. i think they're both hilarious, and Jerry is probably the best "straight" character in a sitcom ever. i love how ruthless, petty, selfish, childish and cowardly he is. remember when he mugs an old lady for her bread? :lol: SHUT UP, YOU OLD BAG!

and then she recognises him a year later in Del Boca Vista and gets his dad impeached from the condo committee.

greatest show ever.

I've never watched Seinfeld before, so was glad to hear Sky Atlantic would be showing it.

I take it from the comments above that it takes a while to get going? The two episodes I watched tonight were pretty much laugh-free zones and I got a stern look from my wife after I'd told her it was supposed to be really funny. I'll stick with it until it gets better though - am I right in thinking the first season is really short?

I re-watched season 1 the other day, jesus wept.

Man I love this show, I keep all nine seasons on my laptop at all times. It's still so good.

I was crying with laughter when George gets engaged and he's watching the Mad About You credits in bed with no dialogue.

Funny how some of the episodes are a little out of date with regards to tech, many times there is a confusion of one form or another and they can't meet up. Now it'd just be a mobile call.

I've never watched Seinfeld before, so was glad to hear Sky Atlantic would be showing it.

I take it from the comments above that it takes a while to get going? The two episodes I watched tonight were pretty much laugh-free zones and I got a stern look from my wife after I'd told her it was supposed to be really funny. I'll stick with it until it gets better though - am I right in thinking the first season is really short?

Yeah like, 4 episodes

Listen, it's the best sitcom ever made. That's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of the Galactic Council who oversee all human culture, and their word is law.

Forget about whether it's going to get going or not, just watch every episode in sequence, week by week, rejoicing in being one of the few people on Earth who has a solid gold guarantee that their life will steadily improve for the next ten years.

greatest show ever.

I came in to post this verbatim.

It's character foundation.

I re-watched season 1 the other day, jesus wept.

Man I love this show, I keep all nine seasons on my laptop at all times. It's still so good.

I was crying with laughter when George gets engaged and he's watching the Mad About You credits in bed with no dialogue.

Funny how some of the episodes are a little out of date with regards to tech, many times there is a confusion of one form or another and they can't meet up. Now it'd just be a mobile call.

Seinfeld wouldn't be as funny if he had Netflix.

you can't watch Seinfeld OR Curb with anyone who has a vagina. it doesn't work, trust me.

Indeed. They famously had to start telling the audience to stop freaking out when Kramer entered the apartment.

do you remember the last scene in The Marine Biologist? kramer has to wait like 15 seconds for the audience to stop laughing so he can deliver his last line.

Think of it like going out with your best mates. It can be hilarious now you all know each other and you've got all that historic knowledge built in, but in the very early days you were just getting familiar like so it probably wasn't as entertaining.

Watching Seinfled from the start is the same. You gradually get into it and then you'll probably start loving it. There arent really any jokes as such so the humour relies on you knowing the characters.

There is so much good stuff on its way, to give up now would be like watching the opening to Ocarina of time and thinking

'nah, I'm not really into horses and fields, think I'll get back to Top Gear Rally'.

Me and my ex-flatmate once resolved to watch every single episode in order, as I'd never seen them... he kind of got too excited though and we starting skipping ahead to things like the Marine Biologist and the one about the soup... there are some amazingly crafted interweaving storylines.. great writing...

Ah, Seinfeld. BBC2 put you on at a stupidly late time, and ended up showing entire series in a one-a-night fashion to get you over with. Then the DVDs started coming out, and there was much rejoicing, losing of weekends and converting of wives to the Seincause. Now Sky is determined to kill you in the face with adverts.

Just don't watch it "live" - that was the longest ad break I think I've ever seen on telly. I ate my entire frigging tea last night during the ad break in the first episode.

People who pay for Sky (me included) are fucking mugs.

I recall scouring the late night BBC2 schedules for Seinfeld's spiritual bedfollow and my personal favourite Larry Sanders, I've got them all ripped but this has to be ripe for a re-run too, Ricky Gervais admits it was his template for the office.

I could never get on with Seinfeld as disliked him so much, may need to try again via netflix.

Oh man, I'm so going to use up all my +1's in this thread today. Seinfeld is the don of shows, tbh. Oddly, I found I couldn't get on with Curb Your Enthusiasm as I found I cringed more than Larry David does when he sticks his foot in it. Same with the UK Office.

But Seinfeld is utter genius from beggining to end. I don't think I ever found even one episode to be weak really.

Maybe I should change my boardname to Pennypacker or Dr Van Nostrand?

Oooh, I know just what you mean, I've put off watching Seinfield for the longest time as whenever I hear his annoying voice and see that contorting face I just want to slap it right off his head. His dreadful standup routines at the end of some eps don't help. That said, I have purchased the entire series boxset ( the one with the book that was going stupidly cheap a year or two back ) in the hope that one day I may get over my peeve and enjoy it.

Oooh, I know just what you mean, I've put off watching Seinfield for the longest time as whenever I hear his annoying voice and see that contorting face I just want to slap it right off his head. His dreadful standup routines at the end of some eps don't help. That said, I have purchased the entire series boxset ( the one with the book that was going stupidly cheap a year or two back ) in the hope that one day I may get over my peeve and enjoy it.

I've got that boxset - it's a great thing to have.

Try and get hold of I'm Telling You For The Last Time'. It's the set from which alot of that material was from/used in.

The audio only is more than sufficient.

I've yet to find anyone who doesn't love it. Even if it doesn't grab them at first.

Here's part one for you:

'Yes Officer, his name was Amal, and the chemical symbol for boron'...

a lot of people have a similar reaction to Larry David. i think they're both hilarious, and Jerry is probably the best "straight" character in a sitcom ever. i love how ruthless, petty, selfish, childish and cowardly he is. remember when he mugs an old lady for her bread? :lol: SHUT UP, YOU OLD BAG!

and then she recognises him a year later in Del Boca Vista and gets his dad impeached from the condo committee.

greatest show ever.

Just reading 'Del Boca Vista' makes me laugh IRL.

Nothing beats being with a group of friends who all know Seinfeld back to front and being able to namecheck every single moment of your existence to a specific episode and scene that everyone recognises right away even before you start talking. The ultimate collective unconsciousness.

Had a chat about Seinfeld with a mate at work today as he has just finished watching it on DVD. Spent about 5 mins just reciting lines/remembering scenes!

Cracking up whilst reliving George's answer phone and Kramer's 'cable boy' lament had others looking at us strangely!

Easily my favourite sitcom and just one of my favourite TV shows ever.

Kind of gutted when they put the 'deluxe' box set out after I'd bought them all seperately but if I can find it cheap I'll get it I think. Was the roundtable discussion extra a good watch?