Jump to content
IGNORED

Seinfeld - from the start


Dr Nookie
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Except there’s plenty of shots in the series that show the corridor doesn’t bend like that.

Indeed. This one's from 'The Serenity Now'.  Can't quite believe I went looking for this but it's not like I have anything better to do.

 

I also learned, from the subtitles, that 'serenity now' in Spanish is 'serenidad ahora'.  So it's not been a total waste of time.

Screenshot 2021-04-09 191145.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Been watching this again from the beginning again on Netflix. It's just so good. The fashions may have aged but the writing is evergreen. On season 4 and it’s just a succession of classic after classic.

I’m doing this too, just watched the double sitcom pitch episode. I’ve never seen the show before. I think that starting with series 3 is the way to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/11/2021 at 17:20, Harsin said:

Been watching this again from the beginning again on Netflix. It's just so good. The fashions may have aged but the writing is evergreen. On season 4 and it’s just a succession of classic after classic.

 

You lie! I stuck on a season 4 disc last night (Virgin Broadband is down) and the cinema one was wank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

We’ve been rewatching this from the beginning on Netflix too and I echo @Harsin’s post above, it is still superb. Just ticked over onto the beginning of series 8 so we’ve been in the real clover for some time, but what a show.


It’s amazing how my mind has compressed the run though…there are things that happened in series 4 that I could imagine would slot into these ‘current’ eps without missing a beat. 
 

Also I think it looks great on Netflix…wasn’t there some fuss over the quality? Looks just fine to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're really enjoying it too (up to series 5 I think), can't say the quality has been an issue at all. It still stands up for the most part, avoiding a lot of cringe that comes with some 90's sitcom's. Only slightly jarring thing is how much of a better actor Dreyfus is than everyone else, but that can be forgiven. The scene with her internal monologue while she's on the train is one of the funniest things i've seen, her facial expressions are just perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The early series are very decent, but the gold run is 6/7/8/9…basically from when Elaine starts working for Mr Pitt. You could essentially remove Jerry and Kramer from those episodes onwards and it would still be brilliant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Also I think it looks great on Netflix…wasn’t there some fuss over the quality? Looks just fine to me.

 

 

Was there a fuss over the image quality?

 

If so, I can only think it might be the film grain but that doesn't bother me and shooting on film has certainly allowed Netflix to give the show an unexpected 4K restoration. Compare Seinfeld with shot to tape sitcoms of the period (or even later) and shooting on film looks like a real wise decision in retrospect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been re-watching this too - it's pure gold. I don't recall ever watching a bad episode (except maybe the ending), and George/Kramer just crack me up every time they are on screen. Michael Richards' physical comedy was just amazing! :wub:

kramer.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mike S said:

 

 

Was there a fuss over the image quality?

 

If so, I can only think it might be the film grain but that doesn't bother me and shooting on film has certainly allowed Netflix to give the show an unexpected 4K restoration. Compare Seinfeld with shot to tape sitcoms of the period (or even later) and shooting on film looks like a real wise decision in retrospect.

 

I think it was about vertical cropping to make the 4:3 show appear "widescreen". I remember seeing someone complaining about a shot with a pothole (which was important for a joke) and the pothole had been cropped out:

 

 

I've been watching it over the last few months having never seen it before (apart from a couple of episodes here and there early on and obiously hundereds of clips and memes). I didn't think it could live up to the reputation, but it really does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, CheekyMonkey said:

I've been re-watching this too - it's pure gold. I don't recall ever watching a bad episode (except maybe the ending), and George/Kramer just crack me up every time they are on screen. Michael Richards' physical comedy was just amazing! :wub:

kramer.gif

Prompted by this thread being bumped, I watched a few episodes last night, include the Sniffing Accountant:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm on my third rewatch since it wan on Netflix, I put it on when I go to sleep and I giggle away and fall asleep after an episode or two.

 

The midi music isn't the best sometimes though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are some odd things that happen sometimes with the focussing too I notice, like sometimes the furniture behind the character centre frame is pin sharp while they are a bit blurry. But maybe that was there originally.

 

But really, who cares…it looks a damn sight better than it used to when I was watching it on BBC2 at 11PM or whenever it was!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.