New NeoGeo "Pocket"

I would trade all of those games for an updated Card Fighters Clash. The NGP one, not the naff DS effort.

Imagine if you could buy the range of NGP games from the SNK website and put them on the SD card? :)

Decided to just proceed on the basis that this is a hoax. It has to be. It'll save me the inevitable disappointment. I would re-buy an NGPC but I did that a year ago, and promptly sold it; whilst the games are still superb, time hasn't been kind to the non-backlit screen - whilst it was always better than the Game Boy Color's, I think we've been spoiled by the likes of the GB Micro.

• 1 month later...

They've announced since then that the £500 price was just an untrue rumour, and haven't given pricing details yet.

I'm hoping it'll be around the same price as their Megadrive handhelds, though I'd pay up to £50, especially if it's expandable. My only disappointment is that there has been no mention of Neo Geo Pocket Color games :( I would have loved to have seen them on a new screen.

No-one 's gonna pick it up at £500. I mean, £ 500 ?! The PS Vita's half the price, ffs. No-one's gonna pick it up at more than £100, imo.

I'd like one as I used to be a big Neo-Geo fan, but tbh, apart from the ridiculous price, the starting line-up sucks huge dog's balls too. Most of their fighting games are horribly outdated now (definitely the first editions), and don't translate well to a small screen. The only two games I find interesting are Metal Slug and Last Resort, but then I've played these two to death on my PSP already.

They'd better do something about that price, and announce more games for it, or it will never take off.

yeah, is there any idea how the games are goingto work on this? are they going to be emulated and downloaded or will there be an online service selling the games individually aka PSN/XBLA? The PSP has metal slug and neogeo compilations so the NeoGeo handheld has to be different enough to convince fans to take that route.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a generic off the shelf FPGA, with a common as muck screen. Anything more than £75 would be suicidal, and there won't be many takers for £50+. It's retarded PR guff. It's not cost of game licensing as the games can be purchased for a few quid on PSN and those are professionally emulated by M2, the gods of emulation and porting.

It looks like a generic off the shelf FPGA, with a common as muck screen. Anything more than £75 would be suicidal, and there won't be many takers for £50+. It's retarded PR guff. It's not cost of game licensing as the games can be purchased for a few quid on PSN and those are professionally emulated by M2, the gods of emulation and porting.

Yeah, as I said above - they probably saw the rumour about it being £500 that sprang up from the ether of the internet and said "hey, I bet if we actually come out and say it's £500 that'll be some free advertising from Kotaku!". It'll be sub-£100, ideally about £50.