New NeoGeo "Pocket"

I'm jealous of anyone who was able to own a proper Neo Geo when they were contemporary. They were just such a big leap over the consoles of the day.

I mean today you can get a powerful PC, but you're still probably going to be playing Mass Effect and Skyrim on them.

Imagine if there was a box you could buy today, and you could play games that were broader in scope and looked massively better than Mass Effect and Skyrim - but you hardly knew anything about them. How exciting would that be?

It would be very, very exciting.

On one hand it's a shame there is no gulf between commercially available equipment and what you can buy for home use. On the other hand... It's pretty damn amazing how far we've come in 30 years!

But I do get what you mean. Even somewhere that showcased the ultimate experiences (ala the old arcades) would be nice.

I think this looks lovely. Mostly because I love my Vita so much and am very much enamoured by handheld gaming at the moment (kids/missus taking over the TV, playing on the sofa/in bed/toilet/commuting, donwloadable content, no carts, online stuff, etc).

Imagine though, as someone said earlier....just imagine if this was Dreamcast. Fuck.

But I do get what you mean. Even somewhere that showcased the ultimate experiences (ala the old arcades) would be nice.

Japan and lots of Asia still has proper arcades, with both new and old awesome games.

It's a shame it completely died in the UK, and even the phrase "the arcades" makes one think of slot machines, scallies and sticky carpets.

If this also played neo-geo pocket games it would be ace.

Well, I can't see how they're gonna stop you playing ROMs. With this having an HDMI hookup and Neo stick, if it upscales and you can throw MAME/CPS-xxx ROMs on it, it could be some sort of champagne emu device!

I'm jealous of anyone who was able to own a proper Neo Geo when they were contemporary. They were just such a big leap over the consoles of the day.

I mean today you can get a powerful PC, but you're still probably going to be playing Mass Effect and Skyrim on them.

Imagine if there was a box you could buy today, and you could play games that were broader in scope and looked massively better than Mass Effect and Skyrim - but you hardly knew anything about them. How exciting would that be?

You mean a Wii? ;)

What would the difference be between say Third strike on that and the DC version? Genuinely out of curosity.

Biggest difference is that the DC game is based on ver.B board of 3S, whereas the arcade players kept with ver.A and every other subsequent port since the DC game: PS2, Xbox, 360 & PS3.

The main difference is un-blockables. In ver.A, if you were attacked from 2 sides at the same time it was impossible to block, thus it would break your guard and leave you open for a free slap. The dev's took this out in ver.B but ultimately it didn't make a great deal of difference. It only affected a couple of characters (Urien & Oro) who're mid-tier at best with, but without the un-blockable even less useful. So folks stuck with ver.A.

To most folks not much, but if you like playing Urien or Oro, those un-blockables are BnB staples you'll want to learn soon after.

This just makes me really want an AES and/or MVS again. All of the games included with the original list are cheap on at least one version. Some of the games are are so inferior to later versions that they are easily skipped (I dare anyone to seriously say Fatal Fury 1 has stood the test of time for example).

Of course for the average person that is probably overkill, but give me an AES, Kof96 and a couple of other cheap games and I'll be very happy for months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was about to pre-order this from Amazon.com, but the shipping etc comes up to 60$. That pushes the price of the item up to $260; I was kinda prepared to pay 200 but that might have pushed it above the bar for me.

Anyone seen a UK supplier do pre-orders? Amazon.co.uk haven't heard of it, it seems. I do really want it and would happily pay the £130-odd that 200$ should convert to, but if they try to do a pounds-for-dollars conversion then I'll have to leave it.

Well, I've had a thorough look this morning and not found anywhere other than Amazon.com who seem prepared to ship this to the UK. Looks like £160-odd is the price for the full set. I'll have to mull that over for a few days before placing an order.

So I saw a picture of a game cart for one of these eventually, as me and my friend where debating if this was going to get more games post-launch. I wish they would announce some more titles coming soon. Also, would the PAL version be all, err, PAL-like? i.e. slower, borders etc?

I can't see why it would, the games themselves are all universal (us,jp,spanish, home and arcade) with the hardware making the regioning choices. Given that it's a portable device where tv refresh and color standards don't exist there is no benefit to implementing forced pal.

Yeah its going to be sold in the UK by Blaze Europe, It says this on the neogeox.com website.

That's good news.

It is also pre-loaded games with twenty Classic NEOGEO games:
  1. 3 Count Bout
  2. League Bowling
  3. Art of Fighting
  4. Magician Lord
  5. Alpha Mission 2
  6. Metal Slug
  7. Baseball Stars 2
  8. Mutation Nation
  9. Cyber Lip
  10. Nam 1975
  11. Fatal Fury
  12. Puzzled
  13. Fatal Fury Special
  14. Real Bout - Fatal Fury Special
  15. The King of Fighters '95
  16. Samurai Showdown 2
  17. King of the Monsters
  18. Super Sidekicks
  19. Last Resort
  20. World Heroes Perfect

So, I'm familiar with the Art of Fighting, Metal Slug, the Fatal Furies, KoF 95 and Samurai Showdown 2, but whilst I've seen some of the others, I haven't played them. Is this a good selection?

So I saw a picture of a game cart for one of these eventually, as me and my friend where debating if this was going to get more games post-launch. I wish they would announce some more titles coming soon. Also, would the PAL version be all, err, PAL-like? i.e. slower, borders etc?

What else do we want? Immediately I think of the Metal Slugs, Fatal Fury 3, the Last Blade games - maybe Kabuki Clash. I am, however, fast running out of games to mention that I wish I'd played and not just read about in the 90s.

That's actually the main reason I'm so excited about this. There's about 15 games there from that era of arcade quality that I've never played. As someone who really likes obscure and/or interesting titles, I can't wait until it comes out.

Is this a good selection?

It's not especially amazing although it has a few good games as well as a lot of not that great games or ones that have been superseded by better titles. Fatal Fury and FF Special are completely redundant with Real Bout FF on there, they've aged badly and are clunky whereas RBFF is superb. On the other hand the inclusion of KOF95 and not 94 is a smart move for various reasons.

It's basically early games with a few later ones thrown in. Of 20 games, maybe only 5 or so still have a decent following today.

Garou is quite late in the system's life, they're all earlyish games. It's also on XBLA selling for a decent price, and still has a bit following. So no, it's a fucking spectacular game that I think a lot of people would love to see on it.

Along with that, I'd really like KOF97, 98 or 99, last blade 2, neo bomberman, bust a move, samsho zero, metal slug 3 and magical drop.